ADVERTISEMENT

OT Olympic wrestling question, the women have a rule, that basically says, if the ref calls

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
you for being passive, you have 30 seconds to score a takedown, if not your opponent gets 1 point. Do the men have this rule??? TIA

Thanks Tom. Looks like a good rule to me.

I think the intent (action, as opposed to simply tying up, or wrestling defensively) is something that most fans, and most wrestlers, are in favor of.

The problem can be the implementation. There have been lots of instances where a wrestler is put on the clock for passivity when most observers felt that wrestler was the one pressing the attack and the other wrestler was the passive one.

The freestyle rules have been modified quite a bit in the last few years, ever since wrestler was nearly dropped from the Olympics. Overall the changes have been good.

This passivity is a newer rule in freestyle. It has it's pros and cons. Overall it's typically a good rule, however there is always the possibility of a guy being called for passivity when they are the one pushing the action.

although I didn't see the whole match, it looked like he didn't decide to wrestle until the last 30 seconds.
Not making excuses for Burroughs, but they butted heads early in the match, with
Burroughs getting a pretty bad gash on his head. Stopped the match a couple times to
tend to the wound. Maybe he was dinged more than anyone thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT