ADVERTISEMENT

OT: No poll, just name it . . . nastiest brew you drank at PSU

Mickey's Big Mouth and Stoney's . I liked Genny Cream and Schlitz Ice, I guess being poor had it's advantages.

Rolling Rock. {throwing up}

Never a big fan of The Rock, I used to hang around with some guys from Schuylkill County who would buy kegs of Yuengling. Back then it was horrible. Tasted like liquid bread.

Funny how both brands reinvented themselves into micro brews. I was out in CA and my buddy from there was like, "let's get some Rolling Rocks"..... when there is Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap.....

We used to have Schlitz Malt Liquor (The Bull) and Piels Dark kegs at our dorm tailgates. Tioga house in Shunk Hall and we held our tailgates right next to the IM building on the stadium side of the building. No charge to use that area. Piels Dark is about the worst beer possible but it was also the cheapest beer you could buy and had a high alcohol content so it met the objective.

Last edited:
Schaefer beer hands down was the worst I ever drank. Bought a case for 4 bucks once and ended up giving almost all of it away. I occasionally drank Mickey's after college and didn't think it was all that bad, especially compared to Schaefer. My favorite in the bars was Prior Double Dark. Wish I could still get it.
Prior was a great beer. I miss it. Wish someone would bring it back. We used to get it in Columbus as it was the house dark beer for a German place called Schmidt's (that is still in business). They did also serve Schmidt's for a time. This was back in the early 1980s tho. They still have the taps in their bar as of May 2016--but nonfunctional now.

Stroh's. Or, for the health-conscious, Stroh's Light.

Its a wonder any of us made it out alive.

Now that I think about it, regular non-dark Piel's pounders were pretty popular too. They were about 3 bucks a six-pack (I think the place is Sharkies now). We used to think in terms of quarts, so a buck a quart. That was a good price but the beer was swill. Got the job done though.

Gibbons, it was awful and their slogan was "...the beer that made Milwaukee jealous". Another one was Utica Club. It went right through me

I forgot about Utica Club...worst beer ever. Traded a case of it for a six pack of Miller Lite.

Reactions: Marshall30
In the day, we simply referred to it as "The Beast"

Best%2024oz%20Can.png

Don't know if this is still around (not terribly PC) but this was the choice when we were:
1) Broke
2) In desperate need of alcohol
3) Unable to take advantage of $1 pitcher wars
10280490_1m.jpg

I believe somebody did a cost-benefit analysis - probably the one finance major in our fraternity - er, actually it was more of an alcohol-cost analysis and determined that this was the cheapest form of alcohol that wouldn't make you go blind. And the going blind thing was really as high as our standards went.

One last thing - if anyone knows where this is still available, please advise.

This was passed as an Imported Craft Beer back in the day. And by back in the day, I mean back when Zeno's passports had 10 beers from the US in them, and they were all either Yuengling or Anchor Steam.

$_1.JPG

Iron City- worst swill ever brewed.

Hickey Beer Distributor gave our fraternity a special deal on Iron City for a period of time. So we took it. After about a week or two, one of the guys raised his hand at a meeting and said "whatever we're saving on beer with Iron City, I bet we're spending on extra toilet paper." Many of us agreed. So we said thanks, but no thanks, to Hickey for the rest of the special and went back to whatever our usual kegs were (I can't remember anymore, but I think it was Miller, which was fine at the time).

Not at Penn State, but at friend's house in Portage, PA I once had a beer called Blatz. Hands down the worst beer I have ever had. Got a splitting headache about halfway through the first, only had one more, and the headache lasted a full two days. Brutal.

At a couple bucks a case....how could you go wrong?

I believe the "brewing process" was to fill a vat with water taken straight from the "dirty" part of Lake Erie (as opposed to the "clean" part).....add in various amounts of wild animal urine.......stir in a 5% solution of ethanol and anti-freeze......and........

Voila!!

World Famous Knickerbocker Beer!!

Not at Penn State, but at friend's house in Portage, PA I once had a beer called Blatz. Hands down the worst beer I have ever had. Got a splitting headache about halfway through the first, only had one more, and the headache lasted a full two days. Brutal.

$6 for a case of 16 ouncers...we used to drink it all the time. The problem was even after we drank a case, we still weren't drunk. I guess beer flavored water wasn't all that potent.

If you're broke and throwing a big party (especially a family reunion), call your distributor and order up one of these:
CO-frothingslosh-409.jpg

My old man called it "The Torpedo Car".

If we're talking strictly about beer...and there were sooooo many truly awful beers in my Penn State days....I'd have to give it to Piel's Real Draft in a slight nod over Steg (as in Stegmaier) Light. If we're talking among ALL alcoholic elixirs, the rock bottom for me and my buddies was a drink we dubbed "troubles". That was Vladimir vodka mixed with econo-buy instant ice tea. All that drink brought you was troubles.

Edit: Hmmmm, had forgotten about Carling Black Label. Maybe I need to reorder

Milwaukee's Best, Piels and Strohs all got the job done. When you're 19 and poor, how much does it matter? You're just happy to have beer.

Question -- how many people here would hang out the morning after the party to help kick the keg. To me that is the real beer drinker -- downing a few warm ones the morning after. Wouldn't do it today...

Anyone remember Straub's?? had it once or twice as there was a guy on my dorm floor from St. Mary's.

North Park golf course here in Allegheny County still rolls with Straub on tap. Had it a couple of weeks ago.

It's really not that bad. An amber beer that they claim is comparable to the yueng but will less sugar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT