ADVERTISEMENT

No cell phone servie. How about you?

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
I have AT&T cell service. Unable to make or receive calls. Went to AT&T store and they indicated there was a major power disruption, no info on cause, and no idea when it will b resolved.

One customer said that Verizon and T-Mobile were also affected.

Anyone else in same situation?

Reactions: psu00
Reactions: RickinDayton
Cell voice service returned about 1/2 hour ago.
my company was one of the first to adopt dual authentication several years ago. So we converted a large company but couldn't get the algorithm to decrypt passwords. As a result, all of their digital users had to go through a process to get a new passcode. This was accompanied by a verification via text so that we knew you were you. Sadly, both AT&T and Verizon text messaging both went out for about 18 hours. That led to people not being able to sign into their accounts. And, as you would guess, a lot of angst and loose bowels. Every time there is an outage, I think of those fond memories.

my company was one of the first to adopt dual authentication several years ago. So we converted a large company but couldn't get the algorithm to decrypt passwords. As a result, all of their digital users had to go through a process to get a new passcode. This was accompanied by a verification via text so that we knew you were you. Sadly, both AT&T and Verizon text messaging both went out for about 18 hours. That led to people not being able to sign into their accounts. And, as you would guess, a lot of angst and loose bowels. Every time there is an outage, I think of those fond memories.
This was not a critical loss for me since I'm retired, but people doing business rely on talk/text to maintain contacts. At least the internet didn't go down. How safe is are our cell networks from bad actors crippling it for extended periods of time?

Reactions: psu00 and Obliviax
This was not a critical loss for me since I'm retired, but people doing business rely on talk/text to maintain contacts. At least the internet didn't go down. How safe is are our cell networks from bad actors crippling it for extended periods of time?
I don't know. maybe a cyber expert can chime in. But the CISO's I know (chief information security officers) live in a constant state of cautious optimism. They think they are pretty safe but the bad guys invent new stuff everyday. I am more concerned about our old electrical grid (I put in a gas driven uninterutable generator a few years ago) and solar flares. the Flares will probably be short but there are those who suggest a massive one could burn out circuits causing outages of several months. There was a massive solar flare last week but it was pointed away from earth. there was one last night but they are saying it did not cause out outage.

let me end the way I started. I don't know.

I don't know. maybe a cyber expert can chime in. But the CISO's I know (chief information security officers) live in a constant state of cautious optimism. They think they are pretty safe but the bad guys invent new stuff everyday. I am more concerned about our old electrical grid (I put in a gas driven uninterutable generator a few years ago) and solar flares. the Flares will probably be short but there are those who suggest a massive one could burn out circuits causing outages of several months. There was a massive solar flare last week but it was pointed away from earth. there was one last night but they are saying it did not cause out outage.

let me end the way I started. I don't know.

Can’t see these being connected. First take considerable time for the energy to reach earth. And article stated we were on the way side and protected . Last any solar event strong enough to wipe out cell phones would also be affecting the power grid, radio transmissions, and satellite.

I have AT&T cell service. Unable to make or receive calls. Went to AT&T store and they indicated there was a major power disruption, no info on cause, and no idea when it will b resolved.

One customer said that Verizon and T-Mobile were also affected.

Anyone else in same situation?
Verizon, SW FL, all good here!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT