ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Draft / Expansion Draft Thread

MJG-90

Jan 23, 2018
This is going to be an interesting couple of weeks for hockey fans. Who do your teams protect from the Kraken? Who do the Kraken steal from your roster? What do you hope happens for your team? All fans of all teams welcome in this thread. Keep it civilized as this is an offseason discussion. We can drop the gloves again once the puck drops in October.

Reactions: TheGLOV
For Penguins fans, our team isn't drafting until the second round. Then not again until the fifth round. And then three picks in the seventh round. Not the ideal situation for a team with almost zero organizational depth and an aging core.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
It’ll be a really interesting couple of weeks across the whole league. My Islanders need to shed some salary to sign the restricted free agents while also adding some scoring. It sure it’s possible, but it’ll be intriguing to follow.

Expansion draft rules:

The Kraken must select one player from each team (except Vegas who is exempt).

Among their 30 picks must be 14 forwards, 9 defensemen and 3 goalies.

NHL teams can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie. Or 8 total skaters and 1 goalie.

Players who just finished their first or second season as professionals do not need to be protected (Pens fans think John Marino and Pierre-Olivier Joseph).

Players with no movement clauses must be protected (don't ask me what happens if a team has too many players with no movement clauses).

There's a bunch of other rules, but the above gives you the gist of what will happen with your team. So speculate away. If you are the GM, who are you protecting?

For Penguins fans, our team isn't drafting until the second round. Then not again until the fifth round. And then three picks in the seventh round. Not the ideal situation for a team with almost zero organizational depth and an aging core.

So glad Jim Rutherford is gone.

My prediction on who the Penguins will protect:

7 forwards:

Crosby
and Malkin are automatic because both have no movement clauses in their contracts (and presumably neither would be asked to waive that clause without the Pens getting something large in return from Seattle). Jake Guentzel has to be protected and I'd imagine so does Bryan Rust since both are on the first line with Crosby and both are also on the top power play. I think the next two are Jared McCann and Kasperi Kapanen. Both are young, fast, productive two way players. No reason to let either exposed here.

That leaves one of Jason Zucker, Brandon Tanev, Jeff Carter, Teddy Blueger and Zach Aston-Reese. I don't think Zucker gets protected because he'd be a high cap hit for the Kraken. Zach Aston-Reese is probably the least valuable of this group, so probably not him. Carter's better days are behind him, so I don't see why he'd get protected. Between Tanev and Blueger -- I don't want to lose either -- I'd probably protect Tanev. He's just so productive all over the ice. It's a different team with him out there. So those are my choices.

3 defensemen:

Letang
has a no movement clause so he's protected. I'm assuming Brian Dumoulin also will get protected. As previously stated, Marino and Olivier-Joseph don't have to be protected. So that's four guys already.

Of Mike Matheson, Cody Ceci and Marcus Pettersson, the Pens need to choose one. I think I'd choose Ceci and hope Seattle takes one of the other two and free up cap space (both Matheson and Pettersson have $4 million + cap hits).

Goalie:

Tristan Jarry.
Like or not, he's not being left unprotected.

Last night I attended an event featuring Caps PBP announcer Joe Beninati. First of all, he's a fabulous hard working guy, with a great sense of humor. Second, his best guess on the caps is that the Kraken will likely pick up a d-man from the caps roster that is not named Carlson, Orlov, or van Riemsdyk.

Michigan D Owen Power is expected to go #1. Unfortunately, he is saying he plans to play one more year for the Wolverines before turning pro.

Perfect guy for the Kraken to draft then. Or any team not expecting to be good right away. They keep his rights until just after he graduates (NHL is different that way from other sports).

Perfect guy for the Kraken to draft then. Or any team not expecting to be good right away. They keep his rights until just after he graduates (NHL is different that way from other sports).
The Kraken have the number two pick. The Sabres are up first.

I am wondering if Kivleneik's death will cause an issue for the Jackets. You have to expose a goalie with some NHL experience. Elvis is exempt, as he is under two years in the league. But the Jackets no longer have a keeper with experience, except Korpi.

I am wondering if Kivleneik's death will cause an issue for the Jackets. You have to expose a goalie with some NHL experience. Elvis is exempt, as he is under two years in the league. But the Jackets no longer have a keeper with experience, except Korpi.
This is a great question. I tried to research for an answer, but haven't seen one. I wonder if, given the recency of the tragedy, the Blue Jackets might be left off the hook if there is an issue. Teams have been setting up their rosters for over a year with the expansion draft at least in the back of their minds. It's hardly fair to penalize a team that would have been in compliance except for a recent tragedy.

My prediction on who the Penguins will protect:

7 forwards:

Crosby
and Malkin are automatic because both have no movement clauses in their contracts (and presumably neither would be asked to waive that clause without the Pens getting something large in return from Seattle). Jake Guentzel has to be protected and I'd imagine so does Bryan Rust since both are on the first line with Crosby and both are also on the top power play. I think the next two are Jared McCann and Kasperi Kapanen. Both are young, fast, productive two way players. No reason to let either exposed here.

That leaves one of Jason Zucker, Brandon Tanev, Jeff Carter, Teddy Blueger and Zach Aston-Reese. I don't think Zucker gets protected because he'd be a high cap hit for the Kraken. Zach Aston-Reese is probably the least valuable of this group, so probably not him. Carter's better days are behind him, so I don't see why he'd get protected. Between Tanev and Blueger -- I don't want to lose either -- I'd probably protect Tanev. He's just so productive all over the ice. It's a different team with him out there. So those are my choices.

3 defensemen:

Letang
has a no movement clause so he's protected. I'm assuming Brian Dumoulin also will get protected. As previously stated, Marino and Olivier-Joseph don't have to be protected. So that's four guys already.

Of Mike Matheson, Cody Ceci and Marcus Pettersson, the Pens need to choose one. I think I'd choose Ceci and hope Seattle takes one of the other two and free up cap space (both Matheson and Pettersson have $4 million + cap hits).

Goalie:

Tristan Jarry.
Like or not, he's not being left unprotected.
The Penguins traded McCann for a prospect (Filip Hallander) who they don’t need to protect. I’m bumping Teddy Blueger up to my protected list now.

The Pens protected Carter instead of Tanev. Otherwise they had my list. I guess Carter makes sense since Malkin’s knee surgery will delay the start of his season. But sure hope the Kraken don’t grab Tanev.

Reactions: Bessmoney
Maybe a draft-pick/ trade agreement will keep him a Pen.
I hope not.

The Pens also protected Matheson instead of Ceci but that’s not a big deal. Ceci isn’t signed yet, so maybe they couldn’t protect him.

I hope not.

The Pens also protected Matheson instead of Ceci but that’s not a big deal. Ceci isn’t signed yet, so maybe they couldn’t protect him.
It still burns me up to know that, after the Golden knights got the best deal possible for picking up players in the expansion draft EVER, they are now EXEMPT from this years rules via the Kraken!

Sucks for the fans.

Total BS.

No reasoning will ever get me to change my opinion on that.

Last edited:
It still burns me up to know that, after the Golden knights got the best deal possible for picking up players in the expansion draft EVER, they are now EXEMPT from this years rules vial the Kraken!

Sucks for the fans.

Total BS.

I couldn’t agree more. They’re basically gift-wrapping contending rosters to the new franchises. I’m old-school enough to believe that new fan bases need to pay their dues.

Why the F shouldn’t Vegas have to expose anybody despite being an instant contender? How long did it take the Lightning to get good? Or Nashville? And what about Atlanta and Quebec and all the other failed franchises that didn’t make it?

It still burns me up to know that, after the Golden knights got the best deal possible for picking up players in the expansion draft EVER, they are now EXEMPT from this years rules vial the Kraken!

Sucks for the fans.

Total BS.

Vegas getting Fleury completely changed the direction of the franchise. No Fleury and this rant doesn't even cross your mind.

I couldn’t agree more. They’re basically gift-wrapping contending rosters to the new franchises. I’m old-school enough to believe that new fan bases need to pay their dues.

Why the F shouldn’t Vegas have to expose anybody despite being an instant contender? How long did it take the Lightning to get good? Or Nashville? And what about Atlanta and Quebec and all the other failed franchises that didn’t make it?

Yep! Exactly.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I hope not.

I think the rationale behind protecting Matheson was if the Kraken take Matheson, you then have Petterrsen as your 2nd pair LHD with limited offensive upside, which they need with Malkin out of the lineup. Plus MM is the defacto #2 point man on the PP behind Letang.
In a perfect world Seattle takes Zucker and his $5.5M to be their Captain for the next 2 years, and then Hextall is able to unload MP for a 4th or 5th round pick. Assuming no salary retained, that saves them $9.5M of cap space, plus the $3M they saved on McCann, which likely goes to Rusty. So GMRH would be able to do a lot with $9.5M to upgrade goalie and/or add a top 6 scoring winger.

I think the rationale behind protecting Matheson was if the Kraken take Matheson, you then have Petterrsen as your 2nd pair LHD with limited offensive upside, which they need with Malkin out of the lineup. Plus MM is the defacto #2 point man on the PP behind Letang.
In a perfect world Seattle takes Zucker and his $5.5M to be their Captain for the next 2 years, and then Hextall is able to unload MP for a 4th or 5th round pick. Assuming no salary retained, that saves them $9.5M of cap space, plus the $3M they saved on McCann, which likely goes to Rusty. So GMRH would be able to do a lot with $9.5M to upgrade goalie and/or add a top 6 scoring winger.

I think it may also point to the new Pens management thinking PO Joseph isn't close to ready yet.

I think it may also point to the new Pens management thinking PO Joseph isn't close to ready yet.
Nah, I think it came down to a choice between Matheson and Pettersson. Both are around the same salary. Matheson has the higher upside. Ceci is a UFA so the Pens shouldn’t protect him anyway (see Ovechkin left unprotected).

Reactions: Bessmoney
Oh no he’s definitely ready. He looked a bit exposed playing on the top pair with Letang (which was to be expected). When he was in the bottom 4 he was very solid. He would be a huge upgrade over MP at 1/4 the price and way more offensive upside. They are both 180 lbs soaking wet, so same level of physicality. I think POJ is a much better skater and better mover than MP, which the Pens covet. He and Ceci would be a dynamite 3rd pair if the Pens bring Ceci back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT