ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Need a new binge watch show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty sure if you are a Prime member, you get it for free. Prime membership allows most of that crap you buy from Amazon to be shipped for free, which really isn't a bad deal.
I do have prime. I was in the middle of season 4 of The Unit and it switched from free to paid. I was shocked at goes much a single season of Justified was.

so the good stuff you pay for? LOL
The Wire was free-view on Prime for a good two years minimum, maybe three, and only recently switched over to PPV. Same with Justified and Deadwood, neither of which are free-view at the moment, I don’t think. I don’t know why they do it this way but they cycle stuff in and out.

The Wire was free-view on Prime for a good two years minimum, maybe three, and only recently switched over to PPV. Same with Justified and Deadwood, neither of which are free-view at the moment, I don’t think. I don’t know why they do it this way but they cycle stuff in and out.
I hear Jeff might be a little low on cash!! LOL

Reactions: LionJim
If you haven't seen the Americans then I'm wondering if there are other prestige shows you haven't seen.

If you haven't seen:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
The Wire
The Shield
True Detective (esp Seasons 1 and 3, but each season is stand alone)
Ozark
Curb Your Enthusiasm
VEEP

you should make those a priority.

Other "mainstream stuff" that is very good:
Silicon Valley
Barry
Eastbound and Down
Flight of the Conchords
Rescue Me
Louie
You're the Worst

More obscure things that I have enjoyed:

Dark (Netflix, 2 seasons, suspense/scifi drama)
End of the F**king World (Netflix, 2 seasons, dark comedy)
Sex Education (Netflix, 2 seasons(?), comedy)
F is for Family (Netflix, 4 seasons, animated comedy)
Master of None (Netflix, seasons, comedy)
Generation Kill (HBO, military drama)
This covers a bunch I was going to mention, but a few others I have enjoyed:

The Sinner (1st season only)
Dexter (older, but still holds up nicely)
Money Heist (if you can handle the English dubbing ... it is a Spanish production)
Stranger Things
Arrested Development (older, but still holds up nicely)
Schitt's Creek
Killing Eve (second season not as good)
GOT (obvious one and assume you've already watched)
Narcos
Bosch

I haven't been able to sustain interest levels recently. The last good binge watch I've had was season three of Ozark. The steve carell comedy and the space comedy Avenue Five have not caught my fancy.

My wife is hooked on Billions and loves it. I've been watching WW2 documentaries (the History Channel one last night was very disappointing).
I missed the new History Channel WW2 documentary. What disappointed you? I am going to DVR and catch up.

Last edited:
We are not fighting in the space domain. We dominate it. It is not a domain of warfare. We had everything covered in Space Command. A separate branch of the military is needless and wasteful.

We need a Cyber Force. We fight in the cyber domain every day.

We do not dominate the space domain. We need a Space Force to ensure that we will have the ability to dominate the space domain in the future. It isn't wasteful spending, it is forward thinking. This isn't 1955.

We have the United States Cyber Command. They are solely focused on fighting in the cyber domain, jointly with the NSA. You could already consider the NSA to be our "Cyber Force".

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I just started Longmire and enjoy it. The Man in the High Castle is/was interesting ....I am into season three and its getting a little weird and difficult to follow.

I missed the new History Channel WW2 documentary. What disappointed you? I am going to DVR and catch up.
I only watched the first half of show one and may go back. I was expecting something along the lines of "Grant" so I may have had unrealistic expectations. If you've ever watched WW2 in Color or any of the multi-part series on this you pretty much know it all. The only context I learned was that they were defensive of Neville Chamberlain. They said that he had no choice but to sign with Germany and hope for the best as the army was hopelessly unprepared for a war. Hitler knew this and GB had zero negotiating power. Other than that, it was a fairly high level and rudimentary if you know anything at all about WW2. Perhaps they were setting the groundwork and it gets better later on.

I’ve also read all of the novels and think the casting for Bosch was terrible, so much so that I stopped watching it.
fwiw, the series is a mash-up of stories so the characters are different in appearance at times plus the storylines from the books have been blended together to create new plot twists. Its brilliant in many ways because Harry Bosch is pretty much the same guy as in the books but everyone else is different.

Reactions: LionJim
We do not dominate the space domain. We need a Space Force to ensure that we will have the ability to dominate the space domain in the future. It isn't wasteful spending, it is forward thinking. This isn't 1955.

We have the United States Cyber Command. They are solely focused on fighting in the cyber domain, jointly with the NSA. You could already consider the NSA to be our "Cyber Force".
Well, not quite. Space Command dominated space. Nobody else is even close to us in capability. Space Command was perfectly capable of carrying out any and all missions under the Air Force.

Cyber Command operates in cyberspace, which is a distinctly different domain of warfare. All of the other branches are kinetic. Cyber should be the next Force.

Well, not quite. Space Command dominated space. Nobody else is even close to us in capability. Space Command was perfectly capable of carrying out any and all missions under the Air Force.

Cyber Command operates in cyberspace, which is a distinctly different domain of warfare. All of the other branches are kinetic. Cyber should be the next Force.

Completely disagree with you. The Air Force is focused on air missions. The Army is focused on ground missions. The Navy is focused on sea missions. Space is an entirely different (distinct) domain of warfare - it is actual space. Space Force will focus on space, freeing the Air Force to focus on air missions, which was the intent when the Air Force was created. There is no wasted money in this venture.

Each branch of the military maintains their own network resources - this creates the need for a joint command to coordinate and disseminate best practices, which is why Cyber Command is a joint command and not a separate branch. The NSA runs our cyber defense and cyber warfare programs. Cyber Command is basically part of the NSA. The NSA is a completely different organization. Thus, we already have a Cyber Force.

Edit - Apologies for the thread getting hijacked.

Completely disagree with you. The Air Force is focused on air missions. The Army is focused on ground missions. The Navy is focused on sea missions. Space is an entirely different (distinct) domain of warfare - it is actual space. Space Force will focus on space, freeing the Air Force to focus on air missions, which was the intent when the Air Force was created. There is no wasted money in this venture.

Each branch of the military maintains their own network resources - this creates the need for a joint command to coordinate and disseminate best practices, which is why Cyber Command is a joint command and not a separate branch. The NSA runs our cyber defense and cyber warfare programs. Cyber Command is basically part of the NSA. The NSA is a completely different organization. Thus, we already have a Cyber Force.
Best to get a separate thread going on this.

fwiw, the series is a mash-up of stories so the characters are different in appearance at times plus the storylines from the books have been blended together to create new plot twists. Its brilliant in many ways because Harry Bosch is pretty much the same guy as in the books but everyone else is different.
Does he call her “Money” Chandler in the books?

Does he call her “Money” Chandler in the books?
It's Honey Chandler in the books but she's far less prominent - really in one book and part of another if I recall. In the series, she seems to be around quite a bit.

I only watched the first half of show one and may go back. I was expecting something along the lines of "Grant" so I may have had unrealistic expectations. If you've ever watched WW2 in Color or any of the multi-part series on this you pretty much know it all. The only context I learned was that they were defensive of Neville Chamberlain. They said that he had no choice but to sign with Germany and hope for the best as the army was hopelessly unprepared for a war. Hitler knew this and GB had zero negotiating power. Other than that, it was a fairly high level and rudimentary if you know anything at all about WW2. Perhaps they were setting the groundwork and it gets better later on.
Got it... and yes, “Grant” was simply awesome! Thanks!

It's Honey Chandler in the books but she's far less prominent - really in one book and part of another if I recall. In the series, she seems to be around quite a bit.
In the series her role is to some great extent the “will he screw her or won’t he?” hook we’ve seen a thousand times. Still, she did serve to define his character.

In the series her role is to some great extent the “will he screw her or won’t he?” hook we’ve seen a thousand times. Still, she did serve to define his character.

There’s tension but I think respect - old pros doing their jobs more so than the attraction angle. We just finished the last season. No spoiler but I think you will see that grudging respect over a couple of seasons. He sleeps with some of the women in the books (not Honey if I recall) but is pretty much only seriously interested in his ex-wife. He’s edgier in the series - less women around.

The series I want them to make is Ballard. She is a young female who is like Bosch and he is her retired mentor in the newer Ballard book series. She’s a badass.

There’s tension but I think respect - old pros doing their jobs more so than the attraction angle. We just finished the last season. No spoiler but I think you will see that grudging respect over a couple of seasons. He sleeps with some of the women in the books (not Honey if I recall) but is pretty much only seriously interested in his ex-wife. He’s edgier in the series - less women around.

The series I want them to make is Ballard. She is a young female who is like Bosch and he is her retired mentor in the newer Ballard book series. She’s a badass.
Thanks for the heads up on Ballard.

Regarding Bosch, I’ve seen every season.

recommendations? I like all genres. My last gave been SG Atlantis, Deadwood and Justified
I broke down and watched bowling this weekend. I might start watching every week. Does that count as binge watching?

Schitt's Creek (six seasons, though the final season might not be on Netflix yet)
Dead to Me (two seasons)

My two favorites that were mentioned, the Expanse and the Last Kingdom.

I don't think I have seen it mentioned by Hanna on prime is pretty good but only one season. Sort of a Orphan Black feel to it. I would recommend Orphan Black but I don't know if anybody is streaming it for free.

Reactions: mdking001
My two favorites that were mentioned, the Expanse and the Last Kingdom.

I don't think I have seen it mentioned by Hanna on prime is pretty good but only one season. Sort of a Orphan Black feel to it. I would recommend Orphan Black but I don't know if anybody is streaming it for free.
Orphan Black started really strong and then became "meh".

I really liked Seasons 1 and 2 of the Expanse, but then protomolecule seemed to become a big of a McGuffin (like the White Walkers in GOT) that overshadowed the really cool political stuff. I do like how they try (at least in the early season to get the science of space travel right, e.g. in episode one the decision to stop to investigate the derelict ship was not taken on lightly because it takes a HUGE amount of fuel to stop and then start up again.

Reactions: Langmuir
Orphan Black started really strong and then became "meh".

I really liked Seasons 1 and 2 of the Expanse, but then protomolecule seemed to become a big of a McGuffin (like the White Walkers in GOT) that overshadowed the really cool political stuff. I do like how they try (at least in the early season to get the science of space travel right, e.g. in episode one the decision to stop to investigate the derelict ship was not taken on lightly because it takes a HUGE amount of fuel to stop and then start up again.

I really liked how the Expanse mostly got gravity right. A few years ago, I had to explain to my wife that we really can't make artificial gravity like they have in every science fiction show/movie. It took me a while to convince her. She always thought there was some device that you could turn on to make gravity since it is like that in nearly every show.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Has anyone here kept up with Westworld season 3? I am two episodes in. I was so utterly confused about how s2 ended I thought I was never going to jump back in. But I found some articles explaining in detail the ending of s2 and so I jumped in... so far very interesting.

Watching "Money Heist" on Netflix right now. If you love a good heist, this show has you covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT