ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Mike Watkins

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-penn-states-mike-watkins-listed-as-day-to-day/

Penn State Nittany Lions forward Mike Watkins will miss the team’s exhibition game on Saturday against the Lafayette Leopards, head coach Pat Chambers has informed FanRag Sports. Now officially ruled out for the upcoming matchup after already missing the team’s summer trip to the Bahamas, Watkins’ status going forward is considered to be day-to-day due to disciplinary reasons.

The 6-9 forward was pivotal for the Nittany Lions a season ago, pouring in 9.7 points per game on a team-high 59 percent shooting from the floor. Watkins also led the program with 8.1 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per contest en route to seeing action in 33 games. He posted eight double-doubles on the season with five coming in Big Ten play. Watkins notched a career-high 20 points in a win over George Washington as well.

Originally a lauded prospect out of Philadelphia, Watkins arrived at Penn State as a four-star recruit. The 247 Composite ranked him as the nation’s No. 99 player overall, the No. 24 power forward in the country and No. 3 player in Pennsylvania from the 2015 cycle. Watkins took a redshirt year before bursting onto the scene in 2016-17.

The Nittany Lions finished last season at 16-18 under Chambers, who is entering his seventh season at the Penn State helm. The school’s looming exhibition game against Lafayette will aid hurricane relief efforts, as all of the proceeds from ticketed admission will be donated.

Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and is the lead college basketball columnist for the FanRag Sports Network. He is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks, which is available via iTunes. Rothstein is also a regular in-studio correspondent for both WFAN and CBS Sports Radio. He currently lives in Manhattan.

What is the story? Watkins keeps sitting out the exhibition games.

https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-penn-states-mike-watkins-listed-as-day-to-day/

Penn State Nittany Lions forward Mike Watkins will miss the team’s exhibition game on Saturday against the Lafayette Leopards, head coach Pat Chambers has informed FanRag Sports. Now officially ruled out for the upcoming matchup after already missing the team’s summer trip to the Bahamas, Watkins’ status going forward is considered to be day-to-day due to disciplinary reasons.

The 6-9 forward was pivotal for the Nittany Lions a season ago, pouring in 9.7 points per game on a team-high 59 percent shooting from the floor. Watkins also led the program with 8.1 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per contest en route to seeing action in 33 games. He posted eight double-doubles on the season with five coming in Big Ten play. Watkins notched a career-high 20 points in a win over George Washington as well.

Originally a lauded prospect out of Philadelphia, Watkins arrived at Penn State as a four-star recruit. The 247 Composite ranked him as the nation’s No. 99 player overall, the No. 24 power forward in the country and No. 3 player in Pennsylvania from the 2015 cycle. Watkins took a redshirt year before bursting onto the scene in 2016-17.

The Nittany Lions finished last season at 16-18 under Chambers, who is entering his seventh season at the Penn State helm. The school’s looming exhibition game against Lafayette will aid hurricane relief efforts, as all of the proceeds from ticketed admission will be donated.

Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and is the lead college basketball columnist for the FanRag Sports Network. He is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks, which is available via iTunes. Rothstein is also a regular in-studio correspondent for both WFAN and CBS Sports Radio. He currently lives in Manhattan.
Is he practicing with the team?

No use speculating in the infraction, but with all the nonsense in college basketball these days, I’m glad Chambers is upholding the standards. We will know soon enough whether or not he plays when the games count.

Reactions: hilo
My point is that if Watkins were to miss the season or a considerable number of games, Sandy may not hold a bad season against Chambers.

You may be right, which would be unfortunate.

My point is that if Watkins were to miss the season or a considerable number of games, Sandy may not hold a bad season against Chambers.

I doubt it. Watkins was not even part of the 2016 class that Chambers is hanging his hat on. If Chambers has a losing season he's gone. (If Watkins can get eligible, however, I think Chambers will have a very good season.)

Sounds like big Mike isn't getting it done in the classroom right now. That was a concern when he came in.
When he came in, the issue was that his high school blew it. It was not necessarily about Watkins' performance in school, and Watkins was not the only person from that high school who was affected. As for the current issue, the reports said it was "discipline" not academics. Also that he is "day-to-day" which makes me hopeful that it's nothing too serious.

• I watched the Lafayette scrimmage and questioned why he wasn't there. I guess I got my answer. Hope he gets his act together. The team could sure use him. By the way they started the same five as last year. Everyone of them looked bigger and stronger. Hope it pays off.

Carr and Bostick each put on like 30 lbs. Expect big years out of those 2 - take the comp with a grain of salt, but I'm loving Bostick's confidence and game so far.

Back court looks strong and deep. Front court is hurting without Big Mike. But, with him should be ok. Btw, he traveled with the team yesterday - that's pretty big when it relates to severity/doghouse

He was on the sidelines today too at home. Team was up by 30+ vs. Bloomsburg but went to sleep and watched it cut to 12 before winning by 17. Lamar and Shep had huge games, Nazeer and Tony big as well but the defensive presence is missing without Mike. Satchel Pierce will be barely serviceable come Big 10 season, John Harrar was a mildly pleasant surprise but again will be completely overmatched come Big 10 time. Healthy, out of doghouse Watkins is the difference between NCAA bubble team and NIT or worse. Chambers and teammates need to watch big Mike like hawks and just refuse to let him stray off the path.

PS... Freshman Jamari Wheeler is the real deal and will play valuable minutes to give us a 5 man backcourt rotation. We are set there and can be competitive with just about anyone now at the guard spots.

Carr and Bostick each put on like 30 lbs. Expect big years out of those 2 - take the comp with a grain of salt, but I'm loving Bostick's confidence and game so far.

Back court looks strong and deep. Front court is hurting without Big Mike. But, with him should be ok. Btw, he traveled with the team yesterday - that's pretty big when it relates to severity/doghouse

Last edited:
Chambers quote on Watkins:

Chambers said Watkins is currently “day-to-day.”

“I just want to see him at a level academically, basketball wise, socially,” Chambers said. “Obviously there’s a standard here that we’re going to hold him to. He is doing a great job of checking a lot of boxes right now.”

This was post game. Watkins was in warmups on the sideline. It sounds as if he could see the court soon.

“I just want to see him at a level academically, basketball wise, socially,” Chambers said. “Obviously there’s a standard here that we’re going to hold him to. He is doing a great job of checking a lot of boxes right now.”

This was post game. Watkins was in warmups on the sideline. It sounds as if he could see the court soon.

I've never questioned Chambers' character. Hopefully he can notch some more wins. I really like the guy.

The whole day-to-day thing makes me hopeful that he plays on Friday.

Even without Watkins they should be able to beat Campbell Friday. Really they should win the first 4 without him, Pitt being the first time he would be needed, and then especially with NC state and Iowa.

I like having Bostick/Reeves athleticism to put some pressure on the opponents wing to handle the ball. But having Watkins in the back gives them the security to take some chances and get steals. He is the key to the whole defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT