ADVERTISEMENT

Question for coaches or others regarding QBs & Scout Team

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
You are a Freshman QB sitting 4th on depth chart which probably means Scout team QB. Is the 3rd team QB better off than the Scout team QB who is facing different looks from the 1st team defense, also simulating different offenses, and still sitting in QB room watching film and seeing what QBs above him do right/wrong. I assume if you are 3rd string you are getting very limited reps in practice because of time constraints.
What say you?

You are a Freshman QB sitting 4th on depth chart which probably means Scout team QB. Is the 3rd team QB better off than the Scout team QB who is facing different looks from the 1st team defense, also simulating different offenses, and still sitting in QB room watching film and seeing what QBs above him do right/wrong. I assume if you are 3rd string you are getting very limited reps in practice because of time constraints.
What say you?
I doubt one QB will serve as the scout at that position every week. I want to simulate my opponents offense.....sets, splits, cadence, tendencies, substitutions, personnel etc.
If I need a running, scrambling type qb, I may choose a WR that had that similar skill set as a high school qb.
Each week is unique.

Reactions: lazydave841
I doubt one QB will serve as the scout at that position every week. I want to simulate my opponents offense.....sets, splits, cadence, tendencies, substitutions, personnel etc.
If I need a running, scrambling type qb, I may choose a WR that had that similar skill set as a high school qb.
Each week is unique.
Thanks for the insight on how it might work.

I would think preseason everyone gets reps, but the reps decrease based upon depth rating. Once the season practicing starts the top 2 available health QBs get the 1st team reps and everyone else rotates from clipboard to scout.

I would think preseason everyone gets reps, but the reps decrease based upon depth rating. Once the season practicing starts the top 2 available health QBs get the 1st team reps and everyone else rotates from clipboard to scout.
Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT