ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mayor of Harrisburg bans Pennlive, calls them a "gossip blog"

Married-with-Children-popcorn.gif

Papenfuse is a thin skinned guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else and that gets him in trouble at times. Many believe he has mental health issues. None of which means he is wrong about pennlive.

Papenfuse is a thin skinned guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else and that gets him in trouble at times. Many believe he has mental health issues. None of which means he is wrong about pennlive.

yeah I kind of look at this as a blood sport between 2 warriors, with the best possible outcome is that they slaughter each other

yeah I kind of look at this as a blood sport between 2 warriors, with the best possible outcome is that they slaughter each other
LINK: Ambrose Harris vs. "Mudman" Simon

I remember the reports of this like yesterday. "Mudman" was an unrepentant cop killer. In this case, Harris yelled out, "There can be only one!"

At 6-foot-2, Harris weighs about 240 pounds, versus Simon, who was just under 6 feet and stockier.

"I'm very surprised that Ambrose won out over Mudman because I found Simon more physically aggressive than Harris," Call said. "But Ambrose is the sicker of the two. He is a psychotic."

Simon was described by Yurick as "one of the most evil people I ever crossed paths with in my life."

"You could see the ugly effect in his eyes, right into his soul," he added.

Reactions: simons96
“All you can expect and hope for is a fair story,” LaTorre said, “where you’re allowed to tell your side of the story and you want an opportunity to tell your side of the story.”

The paper shouldn't have "a side" in any story. It should report the facts. I agree with the mayor.

Of course there is the obligatory First Amendment reference which begs the question, how much freedom is the press guaranteed? Who gets to decide which reporters get credentials to attend the press conference of a public official? In many cases space may be limited but is it lawful to single out an individual media outlet and deny them access? If a video feed is provided then a reporter can still watch and write about what was said.

The irony in this particular story is it involves one of the few times Pennlive/The Patriot-News got a story right. Papenfuse spent a lot of time in the past year trying to close down two "nuisance" bars in Harrisburg. Most people would probably agree his efforts were a good thing. But he failed to reveal that he and his wife own a large number of properties (including his Bookstore business) that surround these establishments. It does not mean he is wrong in his policy initiative but certainly that information is relevant and the owners of the bars certainly think he has a personal stake in the outcome.
Papenfuse should have revealed his personal interest in the matter. The fact he did not causes some to be suspicious of his motives. But regardless of what one thinks, the reporting was factual and Pepenfuse has not refuted it.
With respect to the comments section of Pennlive, any elected official who allows something like that to get to them is probably too thin skinned for the job. His position would be akin to a politician wanting Rivals to shut down this site because they don't like what some posters write.

Gotta love ABC's Headline:

Papenfuse on reporter ban: PennLive ‘not a legitimate news source’

Given his proven "creative" gossip story writing skills and the ability to weave tales with nothing other than conjecture, perhaps Louis Fact Freeh should go write for PennRag as his next career stop.... Seems a match made in heaven in terms of self-serving shamelessness and the requisite lack of principles or ethics.

Of course there is the obligatory First Amendment reference which begs the question, how much freedom is the press guaranteed? Who gets to decide which reporters get credentials to attend the press conference of a public official? In many cases space may be limited but is it lawful to single out an individual media outlet and deny them access? If a video feed is provided then a reporter can still watch and write about what was said.
Kidding aside I'm conflicted about this. I agree with you in principle.

Then I'm forced to consider that, based solely on its Penn State coverage, Pennlive is clearly transitioning (or has transitioned) into a tabloid publication. Would the Mayor's Office typically provide other tabloid journalists with press credentials?

I've been a "newsie" for a couple of decades now. Today, I think that the National Enquirer, Drudge and TMZ are as legitimate as the NYT, Washington Post, NBC and Fox News. In fact, I think TMZ is probably the most credible news source out there right now in terms of covering breaking news fairly.

I've been a "newsie" for a couple of decades now. Today, I think that the National Enquirer, Drudge and TMZ are as legitimate as the NYT, Washington Post, NBC and Fox News. In fact, I think TMZ is probably the most credible news source out there right now in terms of covering breaking news fairly.
No argument there. In the recent past some important sports stories have been broken by Yahoo Sports. ESPN doesn't dig too deep because they have a financial interest in not harming the brands of the professional leagues they've partnered with. Yahoo Sports didn't have that worry. Many of the big news organizations have a similar conflict but would never admit it.

The Patriot News was a good news organization. As newspapers have transitioned over the past 10 years or so, there quality has diminished because of the fast news turnaround via the internet.

That just goes to show how many people don't understand the First Amendment.

Gives people the right to print almost anything, no matter how factually challenged it is - as long as it just skims the asymptote that is slander/libel.

Conversely, it also gives people the right to ignore any media outlet that lowers itself to the sleazy level of Penn Live and for people to call a rag a rag.

As for "access" to public officials...well, there is a danger it could always reach Trumpian levels and reporters are denied access for printing TRUE things that a politician doesn't like - because, you know, the truth hurts sometimes. But jeez, now that every yahoo with a keyboard and a blog can call themselves a journalist...it stands to reason that you can't give credentials and access to everybody. If a politician fills the room with sycophants, people will notice. If a politician bans some rag like PennLive, then the wisdom of the decision ultimately lies with how many people agree with his notion that PennLive IS a rag. In this case, the guy might be thin-skinned...but PennLive is most assuredly a haven for sludge.

Gives people the right to print almost anything, no matter how factually challenged it is - as long as it just skims the asymptote that is slander/libel.

Conversely, it also gives people the right to ignore any media outlet that lowers itself to the sleazy level of Penn Live and for people to call a rag a rag.

As for "access" to public officials...well, there is a danger it could always reach Trumpian levels and reporters are denied access for printing TRUE things that a politician doesn't like - because, you know, the truth hurts sometimes. But jeez, now that every yahoo with a keyboard and a blog can call themselves a journalist...it stands to reason that you can't give credentials and access to everybody. If a politician fills the room with sycophants, people will notice. If a politician bans some rag like PennLive, then the wisdom of the decision ultimately lies with how many people agree with his notion that PennLive IS a rag. In this case, the guy might be thin-skinned...but PennLive is most assuredly a haven for sludge.

Agree totally....which means that, if PennLive has dropped to the level of Ten Thousand Marbles on Twitter, they are well within their right to pick and choose whom they give credentials. Then, its up to the voting public to decide who has been open and honest.

Personally, I feel like the MSM has so lowered the pay for these people that only those stuck there (looking at you david jones) and those that are incompetent (that crazy sports lady from sporting news the other day) are left. Anyone who can make money elsewhere has already gone.

Asymptote!
ftw-comic-pop-art-art-print-poster.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT