ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LP/Vinyl

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
Anyone else back into it? We bought these for $10. Then we sold them for $2 when times were hard at PSU. Now we buy them again for $20. Go figure.

I got my first album last week, and it's all that and then some. Astounding is an understatement.

3763735_600x600.jpg

Have 2 more on the way (Silk Degrees and Let it Bleed).

Is there a better online resource than ebay or amazon? Do I want newly pressed re-releases? (I don't think I do)

What LP did you wear out the most?

Spent so much time browsing National Record Mart at the mall in the 80's.
I still have probably 50-100 LP's somewhere, assuming mom didn't give them away.
I have resisted the urge to get back into vinyl, but have witnessed a few bougiee buddies dive in head first.
My first album purchase was Shaun Cassidy, what a lame first, but a girl I was into persuaded me - I think my dad was thinking wtf is wrong with my boy :oops:

My wife and I both have our collections complete. When we get in our new house, I plan to set up my old stereo system and see how things sound. May look at getting a new receiver/speakers. Is the new stuff very much better today?

Son1 started a few years ago but he’s a hipster, what’s your excuse?
I bought this album for the artwork - to hang. Turns out the album was in mint condition so I bought a turntable from communist china to play it on. I love having to pay attention to it. Having to flip it over. Having to listen to ALL the songs.

Maybe music shouldn't be as on demand as we've made it.

Reactions: Zenophile
I bought this album for the artwork - to hang. Turns out the album was in mint condition so I bought a turntable from communist china to play it on. I love having to pay attention to it. Having to flip it over. Having to listen to ALL the songs.

So I couldn’t chill on your couch cause you hang albums on your wall? You said you had nice things. You think so little of the rick me:rolleyes:

I switched back to vinyl for about the last 2 years. I try to stay away from re-issues for two reasons...the original pressings in my opinion sound much richer and secondly the sleeve (if still intact) art is neat to have. If you do a little research there is a lot of information online regarding album pressing, much more than I care to know, but it is good reference reading. I have found some real good buys at local shops and also have purchased from eBay. Only got a bad album once on eBay but the seller refunded my money. It Is nice to inspect the album before buying. The equipment so sooooo much better today, from integrated amps, pre amps, speakers and of course turntables. Whatever you do make sure you have a good cartridge.

Reactions: MtNittany
Anyone else back into it? We bought these for $10. Then we sold them for $2 when times were hard at PSU. Now we buy them again for $20. Go figure.

I got my first album last week, and it's all that and then some. Astounding is an understatement.

3763735_600x600.jpg

Is there a better online resource than ebay or amazon? Do I want newly pressed re-releases? (I don't think I do)

Got my son a gift subscription to this site a few years ago. They carry a lot of stuff and put out special editions.

https://www.vinylmeplease.com/

Amen. And this is a conversation other folks are having.

Reactions: Jovialgent
For audiophile reissues, check out www.musicdirect.com and www.acousticsounds.com.

Be careful when buying used vinyl. Besides condition, there are often preferred pressings that can be identified by the LP label design (time period of the release) and the matrix number (stamper). It can get really involved (and expensive) if you’re chasing the best sound.

Last edited:

3763735_600x600.jpg

I would say......Billy Joel "Piano Man"......Styx. "Equinox"..... BTO "II (2)"

Reactions: MtNittany
For receivers and speakers, yes. Maybe not so much turntables.

My turntable is a direct drive Garrard with a teak housing. At the time I bought it I think it was a pretty good one. Haven't used it in over 30 years so it will be interesting to see how it performs. I just looked at the above link for equipment. Some very interesting stuff. I do like the blue tooth capabilities so I can play my sirus/xm app thru the system.

I have about 100 old albums from my mine and my sisters music . When I have pool nights we play them. They were stored in the basement and some got wet, so some of the albums covers have damage. It is funny when people pulls out a picture album that did not know they made them.

I have about 150 vinyl LP’s and replaced all I could with CD’s, some that had to be imports. Once in a while I will get one or two out and play them on my Thorens TD 320 turntable that has a longer, low mass tonearm providing less tracking error (less wear and tear on vinyl records). A higher end AT cartridge is mounted in the headshell. The vinyl albums still sound great, but I have taken meticulous care of them.

With approximately 500 vinyl lp’s that I enjoy tremendously, I’ve never NOT had a working turntable.

A couple of years ago, I decided to replace my early-80’s-era Technics with a new turntable from a relatively-new maker, “Fluance” out of Canada. I’ll paste a link to the review that convinced me to try that one below.

I’m in complete agreement with the reviewer. It has a fantastic sound, looks great and it’s a nice solid build that doesn’t pick up vibrations from the floor as my Technics did.

The cartridge that came with it was decent, but I splurged on a new Ortofon red and it made a clear difference in the sound quality — sound is brighter and with more depth.

For anyone thinking about getting back into vinyl — ESPECIALLY if you intend to play those old records that have been sitting around in the basement since the 80’s — I highly recommend investing in a Spin Clean record cleaning system. It’s around $60, and it’ll make a big difference in the sound of your vinyl.

Final tip is to find a record store that cares about the music. In Pittsburgh’s northern suburbs, I love “Music to My Ear” on Babcock. These are guys that love vinyl and they’ll help you build your collection with quality records.

Here’s the link to that Fluance RT81 review: http://soundadvicevinyl.com/2017/08/27/fluance-rt81-turntable-review-249/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT