OT: Lawn Maintenance Costs

SouthpawPSU42

Jul 2, 2019
I'm getting to the stage in my life, where my time is becoming more and more stretched thin. What sort of costs are associated with hiring someone to cut your lawn? Obviously there are factors into that (location, property size, frequency). What am I looking at here? Or at least what are your costs? Let's assume 1.5 acres twice a month in the suburbs of Philly. I'm talking a reputable lawn maintenance company with crews. I see crews rolling through neighborhoods knocking out property after property. Not the kid down the street or the Handyman on NextDoor looking for side jobs. TIA!

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
Here in far western Delaware County I would say the price is anywhere from $40-$50 for a half acre. Why would you only get a cut twice a month? Do you live in a semi-rural location? Most of these lawn care guys come through once a week. I still cut my own so I don’t have extensive experience in pricing, but I think I’m pretty accurate based on recent emails I’ve received.

87 Penn St8

Feb 11, 2009
Chester County, PA
I'm getting to the stage in my life, where my time is becoming more and more stretched thin. What sort of costs are associated with hiring someone to cut your lawn? Obviously there are factors into that (location, property size, frequency). What am I looking at here? Or at least what are your costs? Let's assume 1.5 acres twice a month in the suburbs of Philly. I'm talking a reputable lawn maintenance company with crews. I see crews rolling through neighborhoods knocking out property after property. Not the kid down the street or the Handyman on NextDoor looking for side jobs. TIA!
I'm in Chester County with 2.6 acres. 20 year old Cub Cadet finally was not worth repairing and my bride actually encouraged me to get a service. Been cutting own grass since I was 9...a badge of honor and later guilty pleasure (headphones on old cd player and 3 beers all alone was the average). I love the smells, process and product.

That said, GETTING A SERVICE IS THE BEST MOVE EVER! I no longer follow the weather as meticulously as I used to planning when to cut. The never ending repairs...many of which I started to try and do by myself due to costs were frustrating with a 50% success rate. The fact that the pros are just much better and also blow the grass off of the drive/patio/mulched trees etc is the cherry on top.

Commercial rates in my hood are typically above $100 per cut but there is always a deal to be had for those with multiple yards. A provider quoted me $75 per as he has the 4 adjoining properties. As a courtesy I told a close friend who has 1 yard and he topped at $65 but quoted the new guy across the street $110 and wouldn't budge (doesn't want or need to expand at this time). With inflation and gas it is $71 this season.

Best thing I've done in a long time. Enjoy your yard instead of busting your ass in it!

SouthpawPSU42

Jul 2, 2019
Here in far western Delaware County I would say the price is anywhere from $40-$50 for a half acre. Why would you only get a cut twice a month? Do you live in a semi-rural location? Most of these lawn care guys come through once a week. I still cut my own so I don’t have extensive experience in pricing, but I think I’m pretty accurate based on recent emails I’ve received.
Most of my property is located in a patch of woods and not really in a neighborhood. From March-Septemeber I only need to cut my grass every 3 weeks. It grows very slowly due to the mix of shade/sun. If I am paying per cut, I would just be wasting money. Fair question though!

SouthpawPSU42

Jul 2, 2019
I'm in Chester County with 2.6 acres. 20 year old Cub Cadet finally was not worth repairing and my bride actually encouraged me to get a service. Been cutting own grass since I was 9...a badge of honor and later guilty pleasure (headphones on old cd player and 3 beers all alone was the average). I love the smells, process and product.

That said, GETTING A SERVICE IS THE BEST MOVE EVER! I no longer follow the weather as meticulously as I used to planning when to cut. The never ending repairs...many of which I started to try and do by myself due to costs were frustrating with a 50% success rate. The fact that the pros are just much better and also blow the grass off of the drive/patio/mulched trees etc is the cherry on top.

Commercial rates in my hood are typically above $100 per cut but there is always a deal to be had for those with multiple yards. A provider quoted me $75 per as he has the 4 adjoining properties. As a courtesy I told a close friend who has 1 yard and he topped at $65 but quoted the new guy across the street $110 and wouldn't budge (doesn't want or need to expand at this time). With inflation and gas it is $71 this season.

Best thing I've done in a long time. Enjoy your yard instead of busting your ass in it!
I am 100% on board with your assessment. Has been a badge of honor my whole life since I was a kid. I also live on very sloped property so dealing with the weather can be frustrating in not tearing up the grass and trying to balance weather vs. open schedule.

Does your service include mulching / weeding or is that separate/extra?

87 Penn St8

Feb 11, 2009
Chester County, PA
I am 100% on board with your assessment. Has been a badge of honor my whole life since I was a kid. I also live on very sloped property so dealing with the weather can be frustrating in not tearing up the grass and trying to balance weather vs. open schedule.

That would all be extra. I do the winter clean up...we have 50+ trees so it is time consuming. All spraying and weeding, is one. Have a former student who is a landscaper that gives me mulch every year as a "thank you", I pay his guys for labor, cook burgers and beers. Always the last stop on a Saturday...looking forward to it soon.

It is incredibly satisfying to understand how to do a job well, but let someone else do it. Enjoy!

Reactions: SouthpawPSU42

diontechristmas

Sep 3, 2009
You’re looking at $100-150 per cut, and they’re gonna want to come more frequently than every 2 weeks. Maybe every 10 days, but you may find someone cheaper or more accommodating if it’s a side business.

PSU Mike

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2001
Glencoe, IL
Geez, here in Chicago’s North Communities an annual plan with all cuts and spring/fall cleanup with well-landscaped 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots to be maintained, shrubs trimmed, beds edged and mulched is probably $10-12k on average.

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Here in central Florida, about 90% of the moving is done by people that own the business.. I know someone who only works Saturday has a second job mowing, and they make $2000 a month. The people you see in my development are driving in $60000 pick up trucks pulling 15 to $30000 trailers push the equipment. Some make 6 figure. When I lived in the Miami area 80% of the morning was done by illegals making minimum wage or day wage. There's a tremendous opportunity to help men make a decent living on mos states

Reactions: ftlpsu

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Here in central Florida, about 90% of the moving is done by people that own the business.. I know someone who only mows Saturday with a second job mowing, and they make $2000 a month. The people you see in my development are driving in $60000 pick up trucks pulling 15 to $30 000 trailers plus the equipment. Some make 6 figure. When I lived in the Miami area 80% of the morning was done by illegals making minimum wage or day wage. There's a tremendous opportunity to help men make a decent living in most states.

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Costs in my neighborhood in Fort Collins were $500-$700 per month but...............this included snow removal in the winter and the annual installat ion and removal of a rather elaborate Christmas Light display.. Here in Tarpon Springs, Florida I have a much smaller lot and we cut it ourselves.

Latest posts