ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lawn Maintenance Costs

SouthpawPSU42

Jul 2, 2019
I'm getting to the stage in my life, where my time is becoming more and more stretched thin. What sort of costs are associated with hiring someone to cut your lawn? Obviously there are factors into that (location, property size, frequency). What am I looking at here? Or at least what are your costs? Let's assume 1.5 acres twice a month in the suburbs of Philly. I'm talking a reputable lawn maintenance company with crews. I see crews rolling through neighborhoods knocking out property after property. Not the kid down the street or the Handyman on NextDoor looking for side jobs. TIA!

Here in far western Delaware County I would say the price is anywhere from $40-$50 for a half acre. Why would you only get a cut twice a month? Do you live in a semi-rural location? Most of these lawn care guys come through once a week. I still cut my own so I don’t have extensive experience in pricing, but I think I’m pretty accurate based on recent emails I’ve received.

I'm getting to the stage in my life, where my time is becoming more and more stretched thin. What sort of costs are associated with hiring someone to cut your lawn? Obviously there are factors into that (location, property size, frequency). What am I looking at here? Or at least what are your costs? Let's assume 1.5 acres twice a month in the suburbs of Philly. I'm talking a reputable lawn maintenance company with crews. I see crews rolling through neighborhoods knocking out property after property. Not the kid down the street or the Handyman on NextDoor looking for side jobs. TIA!
I'm in Chester County with 2.6 acres. 20 year old Cub Cadet finally was not worth repairing and my bride actually encouraged me to get a service. Been cutting own grass since I was 9...a badge of honor and later guilty pleasure (headphones on old cd player and 3 beers all alone was the average). I love the smells, process and product.

That said, GETTING A SERVICE IS THE BEST MOVE EVER! I no longer follow the weather as meticulously as I used to planning when to cut. The never ending repairs...many of which I started to try and do by myself due to costs were frustrating with a 50% success rate. The fact that the pros are just much better and also blow the grass off of the drive/patio/mulched trees etc is the cherry on top.

Commercial rates in my hood are typically above $100 per cut but there is always a deal to be had for those with multiple yards. A provider quoted me $75 per as he has the 4 adjoining properties. As a courtesy I told a close friend who has 1 yard and he topped at $65 but quoted the new guy across the street $110 and wouldn't budge (doesn't want or need to expand at this time). With inflation and gas it is $71 this season.

Best thing I've done in a long time. Enjoy your yard instead of busting your ass in it!

Here in far western Delaware County I would say the price is anywhere from $40-$50 for a half acre. Why would you only get a cut twice a month? Do you live in a semi-rural location? Most of these lawn care guys come through once a week. I still cut my own so I don’t have extensive experience in pricing, but I think I’m pretty accurate based on recent emails I’ve received.
Most of my property is located in a patch of woods and not really in a neighborhood. From March-Septemeber I only need to cut my grass every 3 weeks. It grows very slowly due to the mix of shade/sun. If I am paying per cut, I would just be wasting money. Fair question though!

I'm in Chester County with 2.6 acres. 20 year old Cub Cadet finally was not worth repairing and my bride actually encouraged me to get a service. Been cutting own grass since I was 9...a badge of honor and later guilty pleasure (headphones on old cd player and 3 beers all alone was the average). I love the smells, process and product.

That said, GETTING A SERVICE IS THE BEST MOVE EVER! I no longer follow the weather as meticulously as I used to planning when to cut. The never ending repairs...many of which I started to try and do by myself due to costs were frustrating with a 50% success rate. The fact that the pros are just much better and also blow the grass off of the drive/patio/mulched trees etc is the cherry on top.

Commercial rates in my hood are typically above $100 per cut but there is always a deal to be had for those with multiple yards. A provider quoted me $75 per as he has the 4 adjoining properties. As a courtesy I told a close friend who has 1 yard and he topped at $65 but quoted the new guy across the street $110 and wouldn't budge (doesn't want or need to expand at this time). With inflation and gas it is $71 this season.

Best thing I've done in a long time. Enjoy your yard instead of busting your ass in it!
I am 100% on board with your assessment. Has been a badge of honor my whole life since I was a kid. I also live on very sloped property so dealing with the weather can be frustrating in not tearing up the grass and trying to balance weather vs. open schedule.

Does your service include mulching / weeding or is that separate/extra?

I am 100% on board with your assessment. Has been a badge of honor my whole life since I was a kid. I also live on very sloped property so dealing with the weather can be frustrating in not tearing up the grass and trying to balance weather vs. open schedule.

That would all be extra. I do the winter clean up...we have 50+ trees so it is time consuming. All spraying and weeding, is one. Have a former student who is a landscaper that gives me mulch every year as a "thank you", I pay his guys for labor, cook burgers and beers. Always the last stop on a Saturday...looking forward to it soon.

It is incredibly satisfying to understand how to do a job well, but let someone else do it. Enjoy!

Reactions: SouthpawPSU42
You’re looking at $100-150 per cut, and they’re gonna want to come more frequently than every 2 weeks. Maybe every 10 days, but you may find someone cheaper or more accommodating if it’s a side business.

Geez, here in Chicago’s North Communities an annual plan with all cuts and spring/fall cleanup with well-landscaped 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots to be maintained, shrubs trimmed, beds edged and mulched is probably $10-12k on average.

Here in central Florida, about 90% of the moving is done by people that own the business.. I know someone who only works Saturday has a second job mowing, and they make $2000 a month. The people you see in my development are driving in $60000 pick up trucks pulling 15 to $30000 trailers push the equipment. Some make 6 figure. When I lived in the Miami area 80% of the morning was done by illegals making minimum wage or day wage. There's a tremendous opportunity to help men make a decent living on mos states

Reactions: ftlpsu
Here in central Florida, about 90% of the moving is done by people that own the business.. I know someone who only mows Saturday with a second job mowing, and they make $2000 a month. The people you see in my development are driving in $60000 pick up trucks pulling 15 to $30 000 trailers plus the equipment. Some make 6 figure. When I lived in the Miami area 80% of the morning was done by illegals making minimum wage or day wage. There's a tremendous opportunity to help men make a decent living in most states.

Costs in my neighborhood in Fort Collins were $500-$700 per month but...............this included snow removal in the winter and the annual installat ion and removal of a rather elaborate Christmas Light display.. Here in Tarpon Springs, Florida I have a much smaller lot and we cut it ourselves.

Typically, you can expect crews to charge around $50 to $100 per visit for a property of that size. Of course, these costs can fluctuate, so it's always a good idea to get a few quotes from different companies to find the best deal. By the way, have you considered creeping thyme as a ground cover for parts of your lawn? It's a low-maintenance and beautiful option. I'm new on this forum too, so it's great to connect with you here. UPD: sorry, didn't notice the thread was old.

Last edited:
I'm in burbs of St Louis with 1.5 acres. Basic lawn cutting, no frills. $90/cut. Done roughly weekly depending on rain, etc. Agree with others - might be tougher to get a twice monthly service vs weekly.

In western Ct. on the NY border in northern Fairfield County I have about 3 acres of land on a 3 acre pond I share with a couple of other neighbors. It would be too expensive to have them do everything so I did a deal with a mower to do just my main lawn areas that abut a neighbors property and he does the neighbor also at the same time. There is a stream that comes through the property with a bridge and I do the lawn on the other side by using a small self-propelled mower myself and also I don't let them weed-wack back there because they always take down native flowering plants so I do that too. I pay $65 per cutting and they come once a week. The neighbor pays a bit more since they cut more lawn for him.
Splitting up the job gives the mowing company most of the work and I do the more sensitive stuff which cuts down the price and keeps me active since I am retired.

I ended up finding a small crew who cuts my lawn every two weeks for $60. They do a good enough job and I definitely don't miss cutting it myself. At least for now....

I just started this year with a landscaping company and I’m 67. My father cut his lawn up until he was 90, he hated paying anyone. The landscaping companies want you to cut your lawn every week $45 week not bi-weekly even if your grass doesn’t grow that fast. They also are trying to stretch the season from April-November to get extra pay. I told them that my grass doesn’t start growing till June and start service then. I skipped the spring cleaning for $250 which was basically nothing but have them do fall cleaning $250 with all the leaves. The service is great and I have more time for other things.

Most of my property is located in a patch of woods and not really in a neighborhood. From March-Septemeber I only need to cut my grass every 3 weeks. It grows very slowly due to the mix of shade/sun. If I am paying per cut, I would just be wasting money. Fair question though!
Reputable services make you sign a contract for weekly cuts. They're not going to wreck mowers on high grass.

Been there done that.

Rain or shine, you get a day.

Reactions: pennstatepelly
ADVERTISEMENT