ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joe Burrow announces transfer from OSU

Good move on Burrow’s part. I’m very interested to see where he goes.

So this puts Meyer in a bit of a spot. He is now two deep at quarterback as far as realistic ability to come in and win goes. I would imagine he will go with Haskins and then Martell as the backup? But those two were neck and neck in camp weren't they? As of today, Meyer has a quarterback problem I think. Someone needs to be named the starter soon.

So this puts Meyer in a bit of a spot. He is now two deep at quarterback as far as realistic ability to come in and win goes. I would imagine he will go with Haskins and then Martell as the backup? But those two were neck and neck in camp weren't they? As of today, Meyer has a quarterback problem I think. Someone needs to be named the starter soon.

Haskins is the clear starter....no question. That said, Martell has alot of game and will see the field in selected packages, not unlike your Stevens. Our biggest issue is we now have only 3 scholarship QB's, one a true freshman. Sorry to see Joe go, but I get it...the kid has skills and wants to get on the field and show he's worthy of playing at the next level.

Haskins is the clear starter....no question. That said, Martell has alot of game and will see the field in selected packages, not unlike your Stevens. Our biggest issue is we now have only 3 scholarship QB's, one a true freshman. Sorry to see Joe go, but I get it...the kid has skills and wants to get on the field and show he's worthy of playing at the next level.
Has Haskins been named the starter? Link please? Named by Urban Meyer, I mean.

Has Haskins been named the starter? Link please? Named by Urban Meyer, I mean.

If he goes by past practice, my guess is that he won't publicly until well into fall camp......listening to the players and the coaches it's clear the players - not just the QB's, but all the players - know the situation, hence the transfer

Here is what I see from reading the OSU forum here and there. They are putting a lot of stock into Haskins based on the relief appearance in the Michigan game which he played well. Another game he was so so. Indiana maybe? Truth is Michigan really didnt have any film study on Haskins. Point being he may be great or OSU could be in trouble this year if he doesn't match the hype from one previous game. As for Martell he is athletic but not even accurate. And that was in the spring game which is basically touch football for a QB so no real pressure was on him. If Haskins is average or if Martell needs to replace him due to injury OSU could have a down year compared to past ones.

Here is what I see from reading the OSU forum here and there. They are putting a lot of stock into Haskins based on the relief appearance in the Michigan game which he played well. Another game he was so so. Indiana maybe? Truth is Michigan really didnt have any film study on Haskins. Point being he may be great or OSU could be in trouble this year if he doesn't match the hype from one previous game. As for Martell he is athletic but not even accurate. And that was in the spring game which is basically touch football for a QB so no real pressure was on him. If Haskins is average or if Martell needs to replace him due to injury OSU could have a down year compared to past ones.

After a 4 year starter graduates, and there is a new QB, there is always a great deal of uncertainty. You had the same questions two years ago and it seemed to work out for you.
You're right, if our QB does not play well, we could have a disappointing year. OTOH, if he exceeds expectations, we could have a great year. I think the kid is a winner, I wouldn't bet against him.

After a 4 year starter graduates, and there is a new QB, there is always a great deal of uncertainty. You had the same questions two years ago and it seemed to work out for you.
You're right, if our QB does not play well, we could have a disappointing year. OTOH, if he exceeds expectations, we could have a great year. I think the kid is a winner, I wouldn't bet against him.

Actually there was no uncertainty: McSorley was named the starter in the spring before the 2016 season, and had played very well in a near comeback victory against Georgia. I still have not found the link where Urban Meyer named a starting quarterback. Meyers' program is not based on rumor, nor based on guess work. If Meyer has not said it, it has not happened yet.

The transfer was based on Meyer not naming a starter, rather than naming Haskins the starter, which he in fact, so far, has not.

Actually there was no uncertainty: McSorley was named the starter in the spring before the 2016 season, and had played very well in a near comeback victory against Georgia. I still have not found the link where Urban Meyer named a starting quarterback. Meyers' program is not based on rumor, nor based on guess work. If Meyer has not said it, it has not happened yet.

The transfer was based on Meyer not naming a starter, rather than naming Haskins the starter, which he in fact, so far, has not.

Not sure why you are so wound up about this. I have no dog in this fight. I'm a PSU alum who lives in Columbus. I don't care about Ohio state's QB. With that said, "everyone" knows that it's Haskins. If you think Burrows transfer was based upon uncertainty, have at it. He transferred because he was certain he wasn't going to be the starter. If I see Urban at Target, I'll try to get a quote. But he'll probably wait until August like he usually does.

When is the last time Meyer had a QB that didn’t excel in his system? Haskins will be really good and Ohio State will be really good.

I fully respect and expect QBs to transfer instead of sitting. Still shocked that Tommy stayed but very happy about it...selfishly

You missed the point.....the uncertainty was in performance. You may have known Trace was the guy, but there was a great deal of uncertainty about his performance. We're in the same boat, it is clear to all that Haskins is the guy, the only uncertanty is the level of his performance. I'm optimistic

Reactions: DB2592 and Aloha T

When is the last time Meyer had a QB that didn’t excel in his system? Haskins will be really good and Ohio State will be really good.

Not sure how one proves the other. You could be right but anyone has to admit OSU is now razor thin at QB. Haskins is basically unproven as of now. He may have trouble reading coverages. He may throw a few key interceptions and start over thinking everything. Can he handle a white out atmosphere? Meyer loves a running QB. Will they scale back their game plan for fear of injury? One thing OSU has is talent at RB so maybe that will carry them IF Haskins isn't all that. But you can bet teams will stack the box until he proves he can beat you with his arm. OSU will probably win 8 games no matter how their QB performs because of overall talent but the others are no sure thing at this point.

He should just transfer to Michigan. 100% chance that the transfer will be approved and he will be eligible next week.

The starter is, and was always going to be, Haskins. Meyer slow played the decision because he did not want Burrow to transfer leaving him with only two QBs for spring ball.

Reactions: LionJim
My thinking is similar, but with Zembiec.

OL

Zembiec too. Honestly, I'm surprised any time any QB stays more than 2 years without starting. I used Tommy because I think he could have started elsewhere for two years. If we had landed Justin Fields both probably would have jumped ship. Maybe Zembiec honestly believes he'll start in 2019.

Reactions: OhioLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT