ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It surely seems as if Ryan Howard is finished in Philadelphia.

At the end of the day his production was going DOWN and it was a bad contract. You want to argue if his production was down 27 or 28 HRs does not matter. It was DOWN either way. Not the time to give a guy a new deal.

Analyze this players production and tell me which direction he was going:

Year 1: 37 HRs
Year 2: 52 HRs
Year 3: 34 HRs
Year 4: 42 HRs
Year 5: 31 HRs
Year 6: 40 HRs
Year 7: 54 HRs
Year 8: 30 HRs

Kind of hard to do, isn't it??

Can he be sent down to the minors?
His contract runs through the end of the season. The Phillies, who proposed the contract, either keep him for another season, or buy him out for $10M. This is his last season.
It amazes me how fans turn on a player who did nothing wrong other than accepting a contract any person in the world would have accepted.
I also don't blame the Phillies. They were rolling, selling out every game, so they showed good faith with their fan base by signing him. The miserable who now have all the answers, would have been the first ones bitching about him leaving and starring elsewhere.
Ryan tore an Achilles' tendon, then came back to soon and compounded the problem with a knee injury. A big man with severe leg injuries. A sure recipe for declining a career more rapidly.

Might be the worst contract in baseball's recent history.
Absolutely NOT, 5 at 125M. Maybe two years early but compare to Pujols, Votta, Fielder, Texeria, a couple of them have years to go. Believe Votta is still owed over 200M, check his stats, in fact check stats of others mentioned. Best way to handle this is a mysterious injury, DL for essentially the rest of the year. Collect his money, 60 - 100M less than the other stiffs. Activate Ryan for the season finale, start him, he announces he will retire after the game and gets standing O's for each K.

His contract runs through the end of the season. The Phillies, who proposed the contract, either keep him for another season, or buy him out for $10M. This is his last season.
It amazes me how fans turn on a player who did nothing wrong other than accepting a contract any person in the world would have accepted.
I also don't blame the Phillies. They were rolling, selling out every game, so they showed good faith with their fan base by signing him. The miserable who now have all the answers, would have been the first ones bitching about him leaving and starring elsewhere.
Ryan tore an Achilles' tendon, then came back to soon and compounded the problem with a knee injury. A big man with severe leg injuries. A sure recipe for declining a career more rapidly.

We've been through this before, but his problems started long before his Achilles tear. For one reason or another, he became a dead pull hitter and his production started to go down. His injuries only compounded the problem.

Signing Howard was stupid. Remember, he was very old when he broke into the majors so signing him for that length at that money was dumb. Anybody watching the Phils consistently saw that Howard was starting to slide. Look at the Cardinals, they didn't sign Pujols who was younger and better and was 100% akin to the Phils and Howard. And look at Pujos, similiar to Howard in that way overpaid. If the Phils were smart, they would have let Howard go and played it in the paper as costing too much money to save some PR. It would have been a little rough for a few weeks, but if they would have taken that money and invested in the farm system and let the fans know that, then they would have been forgiven.

Look at the Cardinals, they didn't sign Pujols who was younger and better and was 100% akin to the Phils and Howard.

Revisionist history by Cletus. The Cards very much wanted to sign Pujols to an extension. It was Pujols who rejected the Cards, not the other way around.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Signing Howard was stupid. Remember, he was very old when he broke into the majors so signing him for that length at that money was dumb. Anybody watching the Phils consistently saw that Howard was starting to slide. Look at the Cardinals, they didn't sign Pujols who was younger and better and was 100% akin to the Phils and Howard. And look at Pujos, similiar to Howard in that way overpaid. If the Phils were smart, they would have let Howard go and played it in the paper as costing too much money to save some PR. It would have been a little rough for a few weeks, but if they would have taken that money and invested in the farm system and let the fans know that, then they would have been forgiven.
Again, this is revisionist history. He was not consistently starting to slide in April 2010. His stats were still damn good and he was just off 2 WS appearances. In those WS years, he played 162 and 160 games, so he was not breaking down or showing age. He went from 48 to 45 HRs in 2008 to 2009, but increased his BA from 251 to 279.

You can make the argument that they should have waited longer to re-sign him. That is a valid argument, but you can't say that he as consistently sliding.

A real shame how negative the last few chapters have been.

This guy was an absolute monster when he needed him to be.

Bull. It was a horrible contract when they signed. Howard's HRs went from 58 to 48 to 47 to 38 to 31. A 1st grader could see where the numbers were heading on a graph.

zwick99 continues to lack the basic ability to use logic.

Ryan Howard signed his contract in April 2010.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5137456
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/howarry01.shtml

Year G HR RBI
2004 19 2 5
2005 88 22 64
2006 159 58 149
2007 144 47 136
2008 162 48 146
2009 160 45 141

2010 143 31 108
2011 152 33 116
2012 71 14 56
2013 80 11 43
2014 152 23 95

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it was easy to see that it was a horrible contract. But NOT when the contract was signed. When the contract was signed, Howard was coming off a stretch of 3 years of 47-48-45 HRs and 136-146-141 RBIs. The downturn in performance began AFTER THE CONTRACT WAS SIGNED.

Apparently, some people don't look at the important dates like when the contract was signed, not when the salaries became effective. For your benefit, zwick99 - I have bolded the stats for Ryan Howard BEFORE his contract was signed, and the stats for Ryan Howard AFTER his contract was signed. I did this because although it would be obvious to my 9-year old daughter that your statement is false, I think you might still struggle with seeing the flaw in your "facts"

Congratulations, zwick99 - with all the trolls on this site, there are lots of contenders for trolls who consistently mess up some basic factual logic, but your ranking just improved.

He had 45 not 38 which makes a bigger decrease. The premise does not change. His numbers were going DOWN.

2006 58 HRs.
2007 47 HRs.
2008 48 Hrs
2009 45
2010 31. Lets give him a new deal. HUH? Look at the production. His HR totals had already decreased 27 HRs a season.

2011 34.
2012 14
2013 11
2014 23 Big comeback year.
2015 23 HRs
2016 8 HRs.

The writing was on the wall. Howard was done 5 years ago.

Contract was inked in 2010, NOT in 2011 you dolt. Therefore your snarky comment should read:
2006 58 HRs.
2007 47 HRs.
2008 48 Hrs
2009 45 Lets give him a new deal. HUH? Look at the production. His HR totals had already decreased 3 HRs a season.

He should bow out with some dignity intact like Mike Schmidt did. I hope he's not hanging around for the money.

On one hand I can't blame him for hanging around for the size of the paycheck he is getting. It's the Phillies fault that they gave him such a long term contract, and MLB's fault for not allowing teams to cut poor performing players to rid themselves of bad contracts. On the other hand, he is painful to watch. I don't know if he really thinks he could turn it around at any moment or not, but I would use him only for a left pinch hitter off the bench. Maybe he will eventually work out some sort of buyout if that is allowed, but at worst, this will be his last season in Philly.

Analyze this players production and tell me which direction he was going:

Year 1: 37 HRs
Year 2: 52 HRs
Year 3: 34 HRs
Year 4: 42 HRs
Year 5: 31 HRs
Year 6: 40 HRs
Year 7: 54 HRs
Year 8: 30 HRs

Kind of hard to do, isn't it??

Nope.

zwick99 continues to lack the basic ability to use logic.

Ryan Howard signed his contract in April 2010.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5137456

Year G HR RBI
2004 19 2 5
2005 88 22 64
2006 159 58 149
2007 144 47 136
2008 162 48 146
2009 160 45 141

2010 143 31 108
2011 152 33 116
2012 71 14 56
2013 80 11 43
2014 152 23 95

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, it was easy to see that it was a horrible contract. But NOT when the contract was signed. When the contract was signed, Howard was coming off a stretch of 3 years of 47-48-45 HRs and 136-146-141 RBIs. The downturn in performance began AFTER THE CONTRACT WAS SIGNED.

Apparently, some people don't look at the important dates like when the contract was signed, not when the salaries became effective. For your benefit, zwick99 - I have bolded the stats for Ryan Howard BEFORE his contract was signed, and the stats for Ryan Howard AFTER his contract was signed. I did this because although it would be obvious to my 9-year old daughter that your statement is false, I think you might still struggle with seeing the flaw in your "facts"

Congratulations, zwick99 - with all the trolls on this site, there are lots of contenders for trolls who consistently mess up some basic factual logic, but your ranking just improved.
Please tell me PSU did not give this guy a degree. It essentially would make mine worthless.

On one hand I can't blame him for hanging around for the size of the paycheck he is getting. It's the Phillies fault that they gave him such a long term contract, and MLB's fault for not allowing teams to cut poor performing players to rid themselves of bad contracts. On the other hand, he is painful to watch. I don't know if he really thinks he could turn it around at any moment or not, but I would use him only for a left pinch hitter off the bench. Maybe he will eventually work out some sort of buyout if that is allowed, but at worst, this will be his last season in Philly.

I also blame the Phillies for keeping him on the roster despite his abysmal performance this year. WHY?? The money?? I thought this new GM was supposed to be smart?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-the-sunk-cost-fallacy-makes-you-act-stupid.html

Please tell me PSU did not give this guy a degree. It essentially would make mine worthless.

This is like, 5th grade math stuff right? The ability to plot something on the x-axis and the y-axis and all? And possibly to get your dates correct?

Wait? zwick99, you glorious troll - are you Frank Fina? Because not only did you mix up 2002 with 2001, you also confused 2010 with 2011.

Reactions: bwifan
ALL of my inaccuracies? YOu mean one HR total by memory that was slightly off? The premise did not change. Howard's production was going DOWN. Try to dispute that FACT!!
I'm somewhat agreeing with you, you kook.

Puts me in bad company as in another thread you seem to be perfectly fine with a teacher having sex with a 13 year old child as long as the parents consent.

Last few chapters = last 5 years.

Monster 10 years ago.
True monsters only come once a generation.

But yeah, he should have been platooned at least 3 years ago.

Who knows? Maybe with less playing time & additional rest he would have healed better/faster. And he could concentrate on right-handers as opposed to being a cardboard cut-out against lefties.

True monsters only come once a generation.

But yeah, he should have been platooned at least 3 years ago.

Who knows? Maybe with less playing time & additional rest he would have healed better/faster. And he could concentrate on right-handers as opposed to being a cardboard cut-out against lefties.

Maybe. That is on the Phillies and bad management. I ripped them on that issue. Howard was hurt and he could not hit lefties even when he was healthy. Charlie even said they needed to get Utley and Howard more rest and they still would not play Darrin Ruf. Pretty stupid. When they did play Ruf they played him in the OF and then played Mayberry at first. WTF? They should have given the kid a chance. The results might have been the same but the team could have moved on that much sooner.

Reactions: miketd1
Seriously, the Phillies are so dumb. Why would they give Howard a huge contract after he tore his Achilles? What kind of idiots would do that?

Wait - did I get my dates mixed up? Because that would make me sound like an idiot if I did.

Why would they give a guy a contract two years early? Who were they bidding against? Can you name one player in the history of sports that did not get old?

What kind of idiots would do that? Probably the same idiots that thought PHilly was a small market team. Ruben Amaro, Dave Montgomery, Bill Giles and so on.

Why would they give a guy a contract two years early? Who were they bidding against? Can you name one player in the history of sports that did not get old?

What kind of idiots would do that? Probably the same idiots that thought PHilly was a small market team. Ruben Amaro, Dave Montgomery, Bill Giles and so on.

Oh, I get it. You were made to look like a fool because your argument that Howard was in decline when the gave him the contract was proven to be 100% false. NOW, you want to argue that Howard got a contract too early? At least THAT is a more legitimate argument.

However, it does change the fact that you are...
NETS.jpg

fe8177efe4dcf431ade9c65352601ccb.jpg

Spent the last week down in Sand Key Florida......Ryan will have to suffer living in his $30 Million 34,000 square foot on the Gulf mansion to retire to, which appears to just getting finished. The project was a 3 year project as 3 properties were bought to make room for his McMansion. The feedback that I heard from the locals is that he is really a good guy. Who would not be happy with that set up?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT