ADVERTISEMENT

OT: History Channel Miniseries "Grant"

To my mind, Lee was perhaps the most tragic figure in American history.

But in an age such as our own, characterized by superficiality and not known for its depth of understanding of history, it's easier and a cheap signal of our superior (in our own heads) virtue to simply tear down the statues.
Yes, agree.---Lee and John wilkes Booth, (there are others), but these should be on any list.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Read up. The governor refused to send additional troops East because Texans feared attacks from Indians. They didn’t really materialize.

Update: I’ve been doing some additional reading and I can find noted that there was concern of attacks from the Kickapoos in early ‘65. It’s interesting and I saw some additional notes in previous readings. I’m going to look further.

https://www.austincc.edu/lpatrick/his1693/civil.html reference the last paragraph that notes Texans withheld calls for more manpower from the central confederate gov due to threats to its western frontier.
I am “read up”. Texans fought in the Eastern Theater.

It means win it's independence.

For all of this nostalgia and "what if'ing", people conveniently overlook how politically f'd up the CSA was. The concept of states rights carried to it's extreme and it was in many instances prevented them from fully uniting. When push came to shove, they were 13 individual states looking out for their own best interest.

The basic and deep seated distrust of central government was as much of a handicap as any of the advantages the Union had. The CSA military commanders understood cohesion and coordinated effort. The CSA politicians and business interests and local populace did not and that was a significant factor in thier own failure. Texas refused to send troops to the eastern theater, North Carolina refused to participate in a national draft. At the end of the war NC was sitting on a warehouse full of uniforms when most of the CSA army was wearing tattered shreds.
Robert Toombs, in 1864, planted a full crop of cotton in response to a Davis proclamation calling on planters to switch to food crops. That’d show him.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Robert Toombs, in 1864, planted a full crop of cotton in response to a Davis proclamation calling on planters to switch to food crops. That’d show him.

That{SHOWED}him OR That's{SHOWING}him.

Only slightly better than your (bite me) comment after professing being civil towards one another.

Just pointing your hypocrisy sir.

I got ya good!

:)

Well, Texans fought in the Eastern Theater - how’d that happen?

I thought the jist of what people were saying about Texas was more about their entry. I am not even going to try to be at a level of "expertise" as some of you guys. Some of you guys have very impressive knowledge on this subject. My own interpretation & understanding about Texas in the CW was that they went into it very split and begrudgingly. Maybe the strongest voice/personality in Texas at the time was Sam Houston and he was very opposed to Texas taking sides and participating at all in the CW. The vote to enter in the CW was passed by a slim margin in Texas.... at least that is my understanding.

Reading the thread, from what I was reading was that no one really debated that Texas fought in the CW for the South, but Texas was not fully on board and was split about entering.

I thought the jist of what people were saying about Texas was more about their entry. I am not even going to try to be at a level of "expertise" as some of you guys. Some of you guys have very impressive knowledge on this subject. My own interpretation & understanding about Texas in the CW was that they went into it very split and begrudgingly. Maybe the strongest voice/personality in Texas at the time was Sam Houston and he was very opposed to Texas taking sides and participating at all in the CW. The vote to enter in the CW was passed by a slim margin in Texas.... at least that is my understanding.

Reading the thread, from what I was reading was that no one really debated that Texas fought in the CW for the South, but Texas was not fully on board and was split about entering.
Very interesting, and I have no answer for you. Back on page 4 Hotshoe recommended

https://uncpress.org/book/9781469631561/theater-of-a-separate-war/

as a good book on the war west of the Mississippi and I suspect the answer might be here.

True however that DIDN"T show him because I doubt very much that he would care (he'd) about the planting.

Longer correct UN-contracted is proper/better.
I’ve been on this board for twenty years and never once have I corrected any poster’s English, not even if it were technically wrong. (“You should do it the proper/better way.” :rolleyes:) Why are you stalking me? This thread is about the Civil War and it’s a great thread. Let’s try to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Very interesting, and I have no answer for you. Back on page 4 Hotshoe recommended

https://uncpress.org/book/9781469631561/theater-of-a-separate-war/

as a good book on the war west of the Mississippi and I suspect the answer might be here.

Earlier in thread you recommended "Battle Cry of Freedom" by James McPherson. Questions... I see that it is part of a series. Can I read that book as a stand-alone volume, or would I need to read the entire series? And, does it read mostly as a text book??

Correct. I should have been clearer. What I was trying to say was that they didn’t provide the numbers that were requested by Richmond at some point in the war.

My larger point being, when pressed, states looked out for their own interests first rather than that of the group.
Understood.

Earlier in thread you recommended "Battle Cry of Freedom" by James McPherson. Questions... I see that it is part of a series. Can I read that book as a stand-alone volume, or would I need to read the entire series? And, does it read mostly as a text book??
Stand-alone. It is fantastic- second only to Shelby Foote trilogy,

Reactions: LionJim
I read it as a stand-alone book. I dabble.

And, hell no, it doesn’t read as a textbook. You can take my word for it, it’s a great read.

I read it as a stand-alone book. I dabble.

And, hell no, it doesn’t read as a textbook. You can take my word for it, it’s a great read.
McPherson is great at setting the scene so that you can see what’s going to happen before it does. (Of course, he’s taking advantage of the fact that anyone who picks up his book is already somewhat literate on the Civil War, but, still...) I’ve misplaced my copy but can clearly recall that the first thing he talks about is that the Union and Confederacy had their own, different, versions of the song “Battle Cry of Freedom.” That was a great way to start the book. And, as Hotshoe insinuated, he’s less about the actual battles than the lead-up to and aftermath of the battles. He doesn’t skim over the battles but he doesn’t go into them in the detail Foote, for example, does.

Last edited:
McPherson is great at setting the scene so that you can see what’s going to happen before it does. (Of course, he’s taking advantage of the fact that anyone who picks up his book is already somewhat literate on the Civil War, but, still...) I’ve misplaced my copy but can clearly recall that the first thing he talks about is that the Union and Confederacy had their own, different, versions of the song “Battle Cry of Freedom.” That was a great way to start the book. And, as Hotshoe insinuated, he’s less about the actual battles than the lead-up to and aftermath of the battles. He doesn’t skim over the battles but he doesn’t go into them in the detail Foote, for example, does.

Thanks appreciate it. Going to beach in about 3 weeks and time to pick up my beach reading book. Sounds like a good choice.

Reactions: LionJim
I would be remiss if I did not use this thread to acknowledge a wonderful former Penn State Professor of Civil War History, Warren W. Hassler, Jr. .. Professor Hassler inspired me, rekindled my interest in the Civil War, and wrote a recommendation that helped me get into law school. A great man, he died in 2012. This is from his obituary. Rest in Peace Professor.

Warren W. Hassler, Jr., a distinguished professor emeritus of Civil War History at the Pennsylvania State University, died on July 12, 2012, in La Jolla, Ca., after a brief illness. He served in the 7th US Army Air Corps at the end of World War II. In 1954, Hassler joined the faculty of Penn State after earning his Ph.D. in U.S. military history from The Johns Hopkins University. He remained at Penn State until his retirement in 1989, except for two years as Distinguished Visiting Professor at the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, and at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. Hassler authored numerous scholarly articles and five books on the Civil War and American Military History, including studies of the commanders of the Army of the Potomac and Major General George B. McClellan. An endowment was established in his name with the Richards Civil War Era Center for encouraging graduate studies on the period.

s-l400.jpg

5114aGBElKL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit07
I wonder if anyone has a picture of this prof? I took a couple Civil War history classes in 83/84.

Me too. I would not stake my life on it, but "Professor Hassler" sure seems familiar. Pretty sure I had him about the same time period. Would have been 83-84. The name seems familiar. I thoroughly enjoyed the classes. Learned a ton of info and was presented and taught very well.

I just finished watching the last episode. I thought the last ten minutes were particularly interesting regarding the juxtaposition of the rise of the "Lost Cause" myth and the demise of Grant's legacy.

History and our perception of it are funny things. It isn't always written by the winners and truth is elusive.

No doubt, the Battle of Shiloh (also called the Battle of Pittsburg Landing) is a very good example of that - read this piece which is written by the foremost experts on this specific battle:

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/battle-shiloh-shattering-myths

Somebody came on here claiming most of these myths to denigrate Grant.... and also tried to claim that Grant possessed a huge numerical advantage (this is also completely false, when Shiloh started, Grant was missing the entire Army of the Ohio, Buell's Army and also about a third of his own command, the Army of the Tennessee - two of Grant's Divisions were stationed well northeast of him towads Nashville. Grant initially wanted to avoid a battle, if he could, but once hostilities started, his intent was to trade land for time fully intending a full-frontal counterattack once his reinforcements were nearby. Grant was a masterful tactician in the heat of battle as Shiloh demonstrated - what he had planned at very start of the battle worked beautifully as the results very clearly demonstrated - the rebs broke rank and went into full retreat once Grant's Army's counterattacked.).

Reactions: MacNit07
I thought the series was excellent. At first I was on the fence about watching it, but half way through the first episode I knew I was hooked. I learned a lot and even got choked up at the end when they read the letter to Grant from the Confederate soldier which showed that his generous terms of surrender actually worked for some of the Confederates. At the time I'm sure many thought Grant was too generous with his terms of surrender.

I thought the series was excellent. At first I was on the fence about watching it, but half way through the first episode I knew I was hooked. I learned a lot and even got choked up at the end when they read the letter to Grant from the Confederate soldier which showed that his generous terms of surrender actually worked for some of the Confederates. At the time I'm sure many thought Grant was too generous with his terms of surrender.

As someone who grew up in the North, I was always pretty ambivalent about him. He clearly played to win and that caused a lot of bloodshed but it may have been necessary and, actually, ended up causing less bloodshed in the long run. I did not like his tactic of ruining citizen's lives, march to the sea, which wasn't western war acceptable at the time. Regardless, his terms are what made me see him in a much better light. I believe he and Lee respected eachother greatly.

Reactions: Grass and TheGLOV
I’ve been on this board for twenty years and never once have I corrected any poster’s English, not even if it were technically wrong. (“You should do it the proper/better way.” :rolleyes:) Why are you stalking me? This thread is about the Civil War and it’s a great thread. Let’s try to keep it that way.

Stalking you?

No sir.

All the best sir.

Go Liverpool. Let's finally secure that Trophy sir.

Longstreet was the target of the lost cause. During the war he was thought of as being on par or better than Jackson. There is a reason Lee promoted Longstreet to Lieutenant General one day before Jackson in order for Longstreet to rank him. Seldom do you hear of Jackson's terribly bad performance on the peninsula. He also failed to follow Lee's order to attack at 2nd Manassas after Longstreet's flank attack. Longstreet understood that Lee's aggressiveness could only lose the war. Defensive actions and prolonged death of more Union men was the only way they could win. Longstreet was attacked for stating that he disagreed with Lee. What they forget is that Lee liked to plan with Longstreet.
Big fan of Longstreet. He wasn’t given the credit he deserved. He had 3 crushing flank attacks of his own. If he had the numbers on the right at Gettysburg or if Anderson was still under his command, blunder of lee to give hill so many Corp, then the second day of Gettysburg would have been different. The battle though may have turned out similar as the amount of reinforcements that Meade had in just a weeks times made up for the devastation the union army had at Gettysburg.

Longstreet was the target of the lost cause. During the war he was thought of as being on par or better than Jackson. There is a reason Lee promoted Longstreet to Lieutenant General one day before Jackson in order for Longstreet to rank him. Seldom do you hear of Jackson's terribly bad performance on the peninsula. He also failed to follow Lee's order to attack at 2nd Manassas after Longstreet's flank attack. Longstreet understood that Lee's aggressiveness could only lose the war. Defensive actions and prolonged death of more Union men was the only way they could win. Longstreet was attacked for stating that he disagreed with Lee. What they forget is that Lee liked to plan with Longstreet.
They said grant was beloved by southerners. I’m not really sure about that. Longstreet was treated poorly because he was trying to help grant after the war.

I was shocked that the woman who was ceo of some history institution, that they kept going back to, said that grant wanted to be like Washington.
I would think he would have wanted to be like Lincoln. I’m not sure why she said that.

Several on this thread have referenced the writing of history following the end of the Civil War. One person noted that today the media is clustered on the coasts and would never advance the notion of the "Lost Cause". And as of today that is true. However after the civil war this was not the case. A prime example is the D.W. Griffin film "Birth of a Nation". This silent movie was an epic for its time. It shows the KKK as heroic. The film traces the tale of two families, one north and one south. Both are portrayed as upright, patriotic and moral. Blacks in the film (mostly done by whites in blackface) are show as sneaky and deceitful. In the film after the war the northern hero reunites with his southern friend and together then defeat the KKK from molesting white women. Woodrow Wilson (who grew up in Virginia) stated this film was "history written with lighting".

On another note I took 2 courses from Professor Hassler and agreed he was an excellent teacher.

Reactions: Rick from SC
They said grant was beloved by southerners. I’m not really sure about that. Longstreet was treated poorly because he was trying to help grant after the war.
Longstreet did take jobs with the administration, and did lead black soldiers to quell a riot in New Orleans over Northern occupation, so there were reasons. But his abilities as a general were attacked, interestingly by other generals, who just a short time before considered him a star.

Reactions: TheGLOV and razpsu
Several on this thread have referenced the writing of history following the end of the Civil War. One person noted that today the media is clustered on the coasts and would never advance the notion of the "Lost Cause". And as of today that is true. However after the civil war this was not the case. A prime example is the D.W. Griffin film "Birth of a Nation". This silent movie was an epic for its time. It shows the KKK as heroic. The film traces the tale of two families, one north and one south. Both are portrayed as upright, patriotic and moral. Blacks in the film (mostly done by whites in blackface) are show as sneaky and deceitful. In the film after the war the northern hero reunites with his southern friend and together then defeat the KKK from molesting white women. Woodrow Wilson (who grew up in Virginia) stated this film was "history written with lighting".

On another note I took 2 courses from Professor Hassler and agreed he was an excellent teacher.
Watch the scene from the Jolson blackface movie The Wonder Bar where he sings Going to Heaven. This is 1934 in "modern hollywood" and is amazing that such a scene could be written, shot and put out into theaters. It's demeaning to everyone, but it was indicative of the times and fairly far removed from the Civil War. I guess it was acceptable at that time which is amazing. Watch it, you'll fall out of your chair.

Reactions: Rick from SC
Watch the scene from the Jolson blackface movie The Wonder Bar where he sings Going to Heaven. This is 1934 in "modern hollywood" and is amazing that such a scene could be written, shot and put out into theaters. It's demeaning to everyone, but it was indicative of the times and fairly far removed from the Civil War. I guess it was acceptable at that time which is amazing. Watch it, you'll fall out of your chair.
I’ll take your word for it.

I was shocked that the woman who was ceo of some history institution, that they kept going back to, said that grant wanted to be like Washington.
I would think he would have wanted to be like Lincoln. I’m not sure why she said that.

She was the CEO of the American Civil War Museum I believe, and she was comparing Grant to Washington as Washington was loved my many for being the top general to lead and save our country and Washington later became president to help rebuild the country after the war. Much like Grant path and was being asked to do.

She was the CEO of the American Civil War Museum I believe, and she was comparing Grant to Washington as Washington was loved my many for being the top general to lead and save our country and Washington later became president to help rebuild the country after the war. Much like Grant path and was being asked to do.

“ he wasn’t lucky”- great line.

Tell us, oh wise one.
Oh, not wise, just a very interesting story. Ken Burns still looks about 20 to this day.

So Dr. Cutrer was asked to narrate The Civil War as was Shelby Foote. They were good friends and both from the South. Thomas, Dr. Cutrer, turned it down as did Shelby, or so Thomas was told by Shelby. They're at Ken's presentation of The Civil War at an American Historical Society meeting. Ken was a young pup and looked even younger. The film starts, and there's Shelby narrating. Tom always laughed about it, but it made Shelby famous. If you read their writings, there's little comparison in regards to historical documentation. Tom simply didn't push an agenda, Shelby definitely did. Both served, Shelby, WWII, Thomas, Vietnam. It changed his life. His undergrad is in literature, his advanced degrees from LSU and A&M, are in American history. He has an amazing perspective coming out of Vietnam going forward.

A side note regarding James McPherson. He's a Princeton guy and I inappropriately spoke regarding Penn State. I was thinking Gary. My apologies. Both are fantastic historians and better men. Thomas is now back in Texas, has an incredible family, and is a fly fishing machine. I have never known or met a better man. Another great professor I had the honor of being taught by, was Dr. John Corrigan. He literally wrote the book, Religion in America with Winthrop Hudson. If you don't know the history of religion, you cannot know America. Fabulous read, an even better man. He has taught from Oxford to ASU and FSU, as well as Harvard. I was incredibly fortunate in my academic studies of history and that's a huge understatement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT