ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heads up displays in cars are a thing now. I just learned this.

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
It sounded like a good idea at first and I'd say it is if you don't get carried away. It would be nice to know how fast you're going without looking down at the dashboard. But I'm seeing more and more stuff on these things...time, temperature, weather, gas gauge, tachomoter, texts from your phone, videos...WTF? If you make it more than very simply with only basic info that you actually need while you're driving then it seems to defeat the purpose.

But I'm interested in other opinions. What do you think?

Reactions: psu1969a
I love it. As long as it is low enough that it doesn’t interfere with line of sight. Most are programmable to display what you want

Reactions: ralphster
Just purchased a new vehicle and this is one of the options that happened to come on the trim level I purchased. I tried using it for a couple days before shutting it off and will likely never turn it back on - hated it.

It looked like a ghost number floating in front of my vision, and even adjusted to the lowest (on the windshield) setting it still was distracting as hell. It does connect to apple car play so it can display navigation info from waze for example, but in the end not for me.

It’s great. It allows you not to have to take your eyes off the road. BMW has done a great job with their system.

Reactions: ralphster
We have one vehicle with it. I have it set to only display current speed and posted speed limit. I like that.

Reactions: JoeLion
As is the case with all such displays, they can be helpful when programmed to your taste. They can also be a distracting pain in the ass. Speaking of which, anyone else annoyed re being harangued by video equipped gas pumps? It's like you can't find peace and quiet anywhere these days.

It’s great. It allows you not to have to take your eyes off the road. BMW has done a great job with their system.
I've never used one but I suspect that looking at it would distract you slightly from the road. But if the info you're getting is important and if otherwise the only way you can get it is by looking down at the dashboard, such as how fast you're going, than that's good. A small distraction is better than a large distraction.

But if the info on the heads up instrument isn't important, then it seems like it's a bad thing. A small distraction is worse than no distraction. And when I saw that you can get texts on it, it dawned on me that some people will just these things routinely, which isn't good.

Just having your current speed as well as the speed limit sounds good, as well as perhaps a warning light if one comes on, but I don't think they should permit other stuff on it.

As is the case with all such displays, they can be helpful when programmed to your taste. They can also be a distracting pain in the ass. Speaking of which, anyone else annoyed re being harangued by video equipped gas pumps? It's like you can't find peace and quiet anywhere these days.
I absolutely hate the video and audio that gets played when you're at gas pumps.

I absolutely hate the video and audio that gets played when you're at gas pumps.
Here’s a tip on those annoying AF ads at the pump - if you press the buttons on the sides of the screen there’s a good chance one of them will be a mute button. No guarantees but I’d say 3/4 of the time it works for me.

I've never used one but I suspect that looking at it would distract you slightly from the road. But if the info you're getting is important and if otherwise the only way you can get it is by looking down at the dashboard, such as how fast you're going, than that's good. A small distraction is better than a large distraction.

But if the info on the heads up instrument isn't important, then it seems like it's a bad thing. A small distraction is worse than no distraction. And when I saw that you can get texts on it, it dawned on me that some people will just these things routinely, which isn't good.

Just having your current speed as well as the speed limit sounds good, as well as perhaps a warning light if one comes on, but I don't think they should permit other stuff on it.
It’s comprised of a projector, which projects speed and navigation information onto the windshield, so that you a don’t have to take your eyes off the road. The graphics are transparent.

It sounded like a good idea at first and I'd say it is if you don't get carried away. It would be nice to know how fast you're going without looking down at the dashboard. But I'm seeing more and more stuff on these things...time, temperature, weather, gas gauge, tachomoter, texts from your phone, videos...WTF? If you make it more than very simply with only basic info that you actually need while you're driving then it seems to defeat the purpose.

Not for nothing, but these things have been around since at least the late 80’s on GM vehicles. We had one on our ‘90 Grand Prix.

I was recently in an Escalade while taking an Uber ride. The rear view mirror was really just a display of what the rear camera saw. Thus, no obstructions between mirror and back window. Pretty neat.

I was recently in an Escalade while taking an Uber ride. The rear view mirror was really just a display of what the rear camera saw. Thus, no obstructions between mirror and back window. Pretty neat.
I've seen those and have always wondered how a screen like that would impact your vision while driving at night.

I've seen those and have always wondered how a screen like that would impact your vision while driving at night.
I am sure that they have settings and automatic features to take environmental lighting into account. At least that’s what they do for modern military gets and helicopters. Even my iPad has brightness and nighttime settings.

These windshield gauge displays can also be installed if your vehicle doesn’t come with one from the factory.

I love my heads up display. You can adjust which items you want it to display.

On mine I display speed, speed limit, and lane centering. Navigation only displays when turns are coming up. Radio station & song only display after making a change.

I've never used one but I suspect that looking at it would distract you slightly from the road.
IMO it's less distracting than having to glance down to the instrument panel.

Find someone to be a nagivator (yes nagivator) and they'll tell you the speed limit when you're going too fast.

A 7-11 not far from my office has a problem with street folk hanging out in its parking lot. They blast opera now. Pretty funny. You bet it works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT