ADVERTISEMENT

OT - golf rangefinder

mjh218

Aug 14, 2001
looking to pull the trigger on a golf rangefinder. Looking at various companies - Bushnell, Leupold and few others. Does anyone have one that they recommend? Has anyone used a rangefinder with the slope function (I know it's not legal to use in tournaments). Is the slope functionworth the increase in price?

I got a free app on my iPhone that does well enough for my game (or lack thereof).

Going to play tomorrow at the White Course. I know global warming isn't good for all of us but it's working for me in Central PA. :)

I prefer the "sprinkler head system" :)

A few months ago I was out golfing in California and one day got paired up with this guy who had top-of-the-line clubs and a GPS watch. The guy annoyingly insisted on announcing his distances to each pin before repeatedly duffing his approach shots. It was humorous.

Last edited:
looking to pull the trigger on a golf rangefinder. Looking at various companies - Bushnell, Leupold and few others. Does anyone have one that they recommend? Has anyone used a rangefinder with the slope function (I know it's not legal to use in tournaments). Is the slope functionworth the increase in price?

Found the slope function not very accurate. I ended up with a Garmin watch. The only real neat feature is the ability to adjust for pin setting. Even then I pay more attention to front/and or back of the green. The rangefinders are way overpriced in my opinion.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Researched Bushnell and Leopold for Xmas present for my son. Bushnell is far and away most popular but I opted for Leopold.I thought the screen reading was better with the L.

Reactions: gslachta
I have the Bushnell Tour V3 and it is a quality unit. I had been using a Garmin Approach G3, which I still take with me and use as it shows course/hole layouts which is especially useful on courses you are playing for the first time. I would not be comfortable with a watch type GPS.

It's like most golf equipment. The latest and greatest is mostly marketing and not worth the extra money. Whatever you decide, it makes sense to find last year's model.....

I have a Bushnell watch but honestly most courses are marked so well and / or carts include great graphics.....so now you really don't need a rangefinder.

Reactions: olelion
It's normally a huge, open, grassy piece of land about the size of about 8-9 football fields. Hard to miss. ;)

I've had a Bushnell Tour V3 for over 3 years now. Love it. Don't think I could play without it at this point. Literally took a couple strokes off my handicap the day I got it. I was using a GPS phone app before I got the laser.

I throw some grass in the air, set my beer on the ground, judge my distance and the shot I want to hit, ask my buddy how much he wants to bet I "stick this", and then "stick" it. I'm comfortable judging my own distance. My friend uses a range finder...he's scratch.

I've had a Bushnell Tour V3 for over 3 years now. Love it. Don't think I could play without it at this point. Literally took a couple strokes off my handicap the day I got it. I was using a GPS phone app before I got the laser.
I remember when single pine trees in the rough on each side of the fairway were the 150 yd markers. That was it.

I throw some grass in the air, set my beer on the ground, judge my distance and the shot I want to hit, ask my buddy how much he wants to bet I "stick this", and then "stick" it. I'm comfortable judging my own distance. My friend uses a range finder...he's scratch.

Do you keep the cigar in your mouth when you hit or throw it on the ground?

I think rangefinders are valuable for very low handicappers. I think players of all skill levels might benefit from a simple GPS -- one that can provide front/back/middle instantly at a glance. Pin distances, like those included at some high-end courses on carts, are a bonus.

Either device type should speed play for most. It eliminates hunting for sprinkler heads and/or pacing to markers. If it takes more than a few seconds to get a yardage, then the device isn't right for the player.

My guess is that some of the opinions here are biased by skill level and course familiarity. As skill goes up and familiarity goes down, the value of a device goes up. Elite players who can afford them will want the best.

I used a small GolfBuddy GPS until I forgot to remove it from my pocket before laundering. I'm turning 60 next week and, now that I'm retired, was thinking about gifting myself a good rangefinder. We just moved to a retirement community that has 9 golf courses over very hilly terrain. I'm a low handicap and was thinking that a rangefinder with a slope option would be invaluable. I've only looked at some in a sporting goods store. Kind of agree with the poster who liked the Leopold optics (my eyelashes did not interfere with image) but the Bushnell features and quality seem hard to beat. I'm considering the Tour X model but have not had a chance to actually see/use one. I liked the fact that the slope feature can be disabled for tournament play.

I'd like to hear from someone who has a low handicap, plays on hilly terrain, and uses one of the higher end models. Are there different opinions out there as to the value of the slope feature, or is it infeasible to get an accurate effect? I would think that the player's ball trajectory might play a significant role, but I have no experience to know. What might be more important to me is the ability to lock onto the pin quickly with a shaky hand. I'll probably be holding my glasses in one hand and the rangefinder in the other. I'd also like to pan distances to bunkers, trees, and other objects.

I think rangefinders are valuable for very low handicappers. I think players of all skill levels might benefit from a simple GPS -- one that can provide front/back/middle instantly at a glance. Pin distances, like those included at some high-end courses on carts, are a bonus.

Either device type should speed play for most. It eliminates hunting for sprinkler heads and/or pacing to markers. If it takes more than a few seconds to get a yardage, then the device isn't right for the player.

My guess is that some of the opinions here are biased by skill level and course familiarity. As skill goes up and familiarity goes down, the value of a device goes up. Elite players who can afford them will want the best.

I used a small GolfBuddy GPS until I forgot to remove it from my pocket before laundering. I'm turning 60 next week and, now that I'm retired, was thinking about gifting myself a good rangefinder. We just moved to a retirement community that has 9 golf courses over very hilly terrain. I'm a low handicap and was thinking that a rangefinder with a slope option would be invaluable. I've only looked at some in a sporting goods store. Kind of agree with the poster who liked the Leopold optics (my eyelashes did not interfere with image) but the Bushnell features and quality seem hard to beat. I'm considering the Tour X model but have not had a chance to actually see/use one. I liked the fact that the slope feature can be disabled for tournament play.

I'd like to hear from someone who has a low handicap, plays on hilly terrain, and uses one of the higher end models. Are there different opinions out there as to the value of the slope feature, or is it infeasible to get an accurate effect? I would think that the player's ball trajectory might play a significant role, but I have no experience to know. What might be more important to me is the ability to lock onto the pin quickly with a shaky hand. I'll probably be holding my glasses in one hand and the rangefinder in the other. I'd also like to pan distances to bunkers, trees, and other objects.
Either that or just go hit it, find it, and hit again.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I got my father a gps watch for xmas. I was initially going to get him a rangefinder but the pro at my club talked me out of it. Reason being is that the standard ones will pick up on too many objects as opposed to the flag. The really good ones use pick up the reflectors on the flag poles. Only issue with that is that not all courses have those style of flag poles. Id suggest the watch.

Reactions: bmw199

I have a Nikon that was co-branded with callaway. It is bright yellow and is an older model. It has always worked great and is still running on the same battery 8 years later. You can find them used on ebay for $100.

When I get back to golfing I plan on getting one that clips to hat. 2 of my under 10 handicap buddies have them and they love them. So do I when I play with them. One has this in the link. The other is similar but it doesn't talk, you have to look at the digital display. I can't golf with any watches on so that's out. I currently use an app on phone but it is a pain carrying that wherever I go and it drains the battery.

Amazon product ASIN B00S2SC9V0

GolfLogix is a free app. A range finder is a giant waste to me

Purchased a Bushnell Tour V4 slope patriot pack. Was $299. Read a lot of reviews about all of the available range finders. People really seem to like the Bushnell feature where the rangefinder vibrates quickly when it locks on a flag. I figure I can just turn the slope function off if I don't like it.

The Bushnell V4 seems to be preferable to the Tour X model based on size. Reviews of the Tour X were good, but people complained because it is much bulkier than most other rangefinders. The Leupold has some really cool bells and whistles that people seemed to like. for instance, you can use it on the range and input your distances for your 4, 6, and 8 iron and it will give you a club recommendation based on slope, altitude and a host of other stuff. It sounds pretty cool, but didn't think it was worth the extra $200.

Will let you know what I think of the Bushnell V4 when I get it and use it a few times. I play at a bunch of courses in San Diego and a few of them are really hilly.

Easiest/cheapest Golf Range Finder may be Google.

I got my father a gps watch for xmas. I was initially going to get him a rangefinder but the pro at my club talked me out of it. Reason being is that the standard ones will pick up on too many objects as opposed to the flag. The really good ones use pick up the reflectors on the flag poles. Only issue with that is that not all courses have those style of flag poles. Id suggest the watch.

As I said above, I have both a GPS and a recently (last summer) purchased rangefinder. My Bushnell rangefinder has no problem identifying the flag. It actually vibrates to let you know you have the flag. About the only issue (not for me) that some may have is that the farther away you are the steadier you must hold the rangefinder. But I have not trouble standing and picking up the flag from 150 - 200 yards out. But yes, it is easier to lean on the cart steering wheel and by being more stationary the flag is picked up by the rangefinder quicker.

I got a free app on my iPhone that does well enough for my game (or lack thereof).

Going to play tomorrow at the White Course. I know global warming isn't good for all of us but it's working for me in Central PA. :)
Apps on your phone are. It legal for tourney play .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT