ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting rid of old computers

Is there any inherent security risk in simply dropping off my old desktops at the dump? Are there any precautions I need to take to protect my data? TIA.
When I’ve gotten rid of old computers, I’ve always removed the hard drive and held onto it. I have Two reasons for doing so:

1. Any personal information remains with the hard drive (and me). This is the primary reason for me.
2. If I discover later that I need to retrieve something, I can conceivably retrieve that data / information from the old hard drive.

Is there any inherent security risk in simply dropping off my old desktops at the dump? Are there any precautions I need to take to protect my data? TIA.
I don't know if people are dumpster diving or dump diving for old computers, but as with the post above, i usually remove the hard drive and destroy the hard drive's "working" parts.

Reactions: BoChops
I would wipe the drive with drive wiper software with an at least 7x overwrite. You can go up to a 15x overwrite (military grade) but this could take a very long time depending upon the size of the drive. And if you feel really worried about it, then it would hammer time for the drive after you wipe it.

Reactions: ftlpsu and Obliviax
One thing, there are recycling places that will give you cash for old computers, due to the gold, copper, and other metals in them. Might be worth the trip. We have one on Columbus that we have used out by the Airport. When we were cleaning out my inlaws' house, we got a fair bit of cash out of recyclables (over $100). Do not take the monitor--you will be charged for that.

Reactions: Obliviax
Drill holes in the hard drive then throw them away
Yep, I’ve done that.

I’ve read that the NSA and other such spooky Federal departments wipe their old drives X number of times, take the platters out and grind them to bits, and then bury those bits in a landfill that is STILL kept secured and guarded.

I wouldn’t trouble myself with going quite that far ;)

Yep, I’ve done that.

I’ve read that the NSA and other such spooky Federal departments wipe their old drives X number of times, take the platters out and grind them to bits, and then bury those bits in a landfill that is STILL kept secured and guarded.

I wouldn’t trouble myself with going quite that far ;)
Fort Meade is only twenty minutes away...

Reactions: bison13
When I’ve gotten rid of old computers, I’ve always removed the hard drive and held onto it. I have Two reasons for doing so:

1. Any personal information remains with the hard drive (and me). This is the primary reason for me.
2. If I discover later that I need to retrieve something, I can conceivably retrieve that data / information from the old hard drive.
So it's safe to assume you aren't the guy with the bitcoins in the landfill.

Thank you for this question. I have three laptops and two desk top computers that no longer function. I kept them because they contain personal information. I'm going out to buy a nail gun.

Thank you for this question. I have three laptops and two desk top computers that no longer function. I kept them because they contain personal information. I'm going out to buy a nail gun.

A simple electric drill will work if you have one. Of course if you want the joys of owning a nail gun, enjoy.

Reactions: dalions81
I live on the edge of the city border (have taken many bucks with the ole Mathews, including an 11 point, I just climb). Have a ladder stand there too, however, prefer climbing higher and not always the same tree!). Anyway, there is a big bolder at the edge of my lot. Lay the HD on it and smash it to pieces with the sledge! Can you say, "Over kill?"

Last edited:
Before you throw away an old computer (especially a laptop) do a search on EBay to make sure it isn't valuable. People buy old laptops on EBay for parts and for their legacy value. There are actually collectors.

Drill it. Drill through the case. Don't open it to drill the platter directly.

I have an old Teac D-1 Head Demagnetizer I purchased to degauss an old Sony real to real in the early 1970's. Any techies know if that would completely erase the data?

I like to take apart the hdd and remove the neodymium magnets. Some of the strongest permanent magnets out there.

In my area, you can take old computers to Goodwill and drop them off for no charge.

As to hard drives, I remove them and either keep them, or destroy them with a drill.

I have an old Teac D-1 Head Demagnetizer I purchased to degauss an old Sony real to real in the early 1970's. Any techies know if that would completely erase the data?
That device would probably have no effect on a sealed hard drive, the magnetic field is not that strong. If applied directly to a platter it might but a strong magnet would do the same.

Drilling is the easiest home solution to render one physically difficult to recover.

I like to take apart the hdd and remove the neodymium magnets. Some of the strongest permanent magnets out there.

I do the same, but after drilling through the case and platters. And wear gloves. You do not want to touch the shards of a shattered glass/ceramic platter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT