ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gas prices in PA vs Ohio

Husky

May 29, 2001
I flew in from Jacksonville to Pittsburgh to visit my brother in Austintown (Youngstown Ohio area) this week and I was struck by the difference in gasoline prices between Pittsburgh and Youngstown. It was about 3.89 or so in the towns located within close proximity of the Pgh airport compared to about 3.29 in the Youngstown area, about a 60 cent difference. What gives? Distance between the refineries and Youngstown vs Pittsburgh is not much different given the distance between the two is only about 50 miles or so. Does PA have a comparatively much higher gas tax? What else could it be?

I flew in from Jacksonville to Pittsburgh to visit my brother in Austintown (Youngstown Ohio area) this week and I was struck by the difference in gasoline prices between Pittsburgh and Youngstown. It was about 3.89 or so in the towns located within close proximity of the Pgh airport compared to about 3.29 in the Youngstown area, about a 60 cent difference. What gives? Distance between the refineries and Youngstown vs Pittsburgh is not much different given the distance between the two is only about 50 miles or so. Does PA have a comparatively much higher gas tax? What else could it be?
PA gas taxes are high. Go to neighboring states like DE, MD, and NJ and you'll find consistently lower prices.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Ed Rendell greatly increased the gas tax, thus the difference. Supposed to be used to fix the roads and bridges but they are still bad.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
I live on the Dayton, OH area. I filled up @ Sam's Club in Washington Twp/Centerville, OH for $2.91 per gallon last night. Many of the stations in the Dayton area are $2.99 per gallon this week.

Ed Rendell greatly increased the gas tax, thus the difference. Supposed to be used to fix the roads and bridges but they are still bad.
BS. Corbett raised them and set an effective date in 2014 hoping the voters wouldn't know until after he got in for a second term.

Reactions: step.eng69
Taxes

BS. Corbett raised them and set an effective date in 2014 hoping the voters wouldn't know until after he got in for a second term.
Yep, and they knew that fracking was going to bring prices down so got away with it. And it was pushed as a infrastructure/transportation bill. Yet huge amounts were syphoned off to pay state police.

Reactions: bison13

We pay $5+ in WA. Of course, our min wage is $16/hr.

I live on the Dayton, OH area. I filled up @ Sam's Club in Washington Twp/Centerville, OH for $2.91 per gallon last night. Many of the stations in the Dayton area are $2.99 per gallon this week.
Rick nailed it. When we moved back to State College full time gas was the biggest change. Ohio prices much lower. Don’t miss Centerville taxes though.

We pay $5+ in WA. Of course, our min wage is $16/hr.
yeah I was just in WA last week. Paid as high as $5.99/gal. What surprised me was that I could find gas ranging from $5.39/gal to $4.39 in the same small town of Port Angeles.

No it was Corbett:

Paying for all of rendells pork projects like stadiums. A 30 year loan does not end with the election.

You can also thank fast Eddie for high bridge and turnpike tolls. Over half the toll money goes to debt for rendells pork projects. Over half. Fact.

It was actually Tom Corbett that raised the gas taxes, another gift from a real dirt bag. I voted for him first time but after his in the Sandusky scandal I hated him

Reactions: bison13 and 91Joe95
Yes, Cent
Rick nailed it. When we moved back to State College full time gas was the biggest change. Ohio prices much lower. Don’t miss Centerville taxes though.
Yes, ,Centerville, Beavercreek, and Springboro property taxes keep going up as too many people continue to vote YES on the never ending levies. Mind boggling.

Yes, Cent

Yes, ,Centerville, Beavercreek, and Springboro property taxes keep going up as too many people continue to vote YES on the never ending levies. Mind boggling.
True of CLE as well. However, I believe this is true of almost every major city in America. If you look at the city and host county, check out the growth of the first major suburb outside the county. That is where you'll find burgeoning growth and property values while maintaining far less property taxes. For example, I live in Cuyahoga County. If I travel on the lake front, you'll see the size and value of the homes get lower and lower. But as soon as you cross the county line, it jumps back up.

Go west to Avon/Avon Lake, South is Breaksville/Bath, Southwest is Medina, Southeast is Hudson and East is Mentor.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Paying for all of rendells pork projects like stadiums. A 30 year loan does not end with the election.

You can also thank fast Eddie for high bridge and turnpike tolls. Over half the toll money goes to debt for rendells pork projects. Over half. Fact.
You should learn how to use google.

Trump gas, 2.29, Biden gas coming down, now 3.59, was 3.89

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
You should learn how to use google.

You can use google too. How many billions did Rendell spend on stadiums? That money was not paid in cash. Do you think 30 year loans expire after the election?

How about pensions that Rendell promised but were not funded? Where do you think that money comes from?

Yes, Cent

They always pull out the “if you don’t vote for the school levy our property values will go down”. One of our neighbors was on the cville board. I asked her why the increase and what they were going to do with it. She said once they get the money they were going to put a strategic plan together to figure it out. I said sound governance says you do that first and understand your finances. Then decide if you even need the money. I just got a dumb look. Bottom line, elections matter.

They always pull out the “if you don’t vote for the school levy our property values will go down”. One of our neighbors was on the cville board. I asked her why the increase and what they were going to do with it. She said once they get the money they were going to put a strategic plan together to figure it out. I said sound governance says you do that first and understand your finances. Then decide if you even need the money. I just got a dumb look. Bottom line, elections matter.

Pfft, the goal of sound governance is to spend as much money as you can.

Reactions: dailybuck777
PA has the nation's highest gas tax at 57 cents per gallon. Ohio's gas tax is 38 cents so that accounts for 19 cents of the difference. The rest could be additional shipping costs from refineries to PA. The closing of the Sunoco refinery in Philly probably affects gas prices in Pa.

Exactly. We have the same issues in Beavercreek. They just reassed our home values (increase iof course) just in time for another school levy on election day. Never ending parade if tax levies. One of the problems is non-property owners vote and often support the levies. They believe it won't impact them.

You can use google too. How many billions did Rendell spend on stadiums? That money was not paid in cash. Do you think 30 year loans expire after the election?

How about pensions that Rendell promised but were not funded? Where do you think that money comes from?
The conversation is about gas prices, not the other stuff. Try and stay focused.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
PA has the seconds highest gas tax in the country.

PA has the seconds highest gas tax in the country.
Ours in Ohio was raised a bit two years ago but nothing close to PA, CA, and NY. Does proximity to refineries make a difference? There is large one in Southeast Michigan between Detroit and Toledo, OH.

Heating Oil is currently higher or equal to gas prices. There are no road taxes on heating oil and it needs less refining. Big Oil Companies doing what they always do, putting it to the US consumers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT