ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ? for Phillies fans: Were the 1980 Phillies the best Phillies team in modern times? Or was perhaps one of their 100-win teams?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
A question for Phillies fans: Were the 1980 Phillies the best Phillies team in modern times? The 2008 team? Or was perhaps one of their 100-win teams (1976 1977, 2011) that didn't win a World Series?

Phil’s and Buccos used to fight right down the stretch in the late 70s.

God, I hated those fcckers (Phillies),

Good times.
I wished Schmidt would have gone Juan Marichal on Bruce Kison and any Phillies pitcher return the bean ball on Parker or Stargell .

For amusement purposes only.

I hated the Pirates almost as much as the Reds, but more than the Mets.

A question for Phillies fans: Were the 1980 Phillies the best Phillies team in modern times? The 2008 team? Or was perhaps one of their 100-win teams (1976 1977, 2011) that didn't win a World Series?

Was not 2011. No consistent offense. Best team ever does not get knocked out in the first round.

Reactions: aworsnup
I wished Schmidt would have gone Juan Marichal on Bruce Kison and any Phillies pitcher return the bean ball on Parker or Stargell .

For amusement purposes only.

I hated the Pirates almost as much as the Reds, but more than the Mets.
Schmidt was one helluva player.

Remember Carlton? That slider moved three feet.

Reactions: aworsnup
Gotta go with the 2011 Phillies as perhaps their best ever, but their flaws brought them down in the post-season.

Won 102 games in the regular season, won the NL East by 13 games over the Braves, led the major leagues in attendance, Roy Halladay with a great season, etc., etc. Seemed destined for a World Championship.

But in the clutch, the Phils couldn't score enough runs against good left-handed pitching with Ryan Howard being Exhibit A. Very disappointing.

And what a decline after the 2011 season -- no winning season for 10 years.

Gotta go with the 2011 Phillies as perhaps their best ever, but their flaws brought them down in the post-season.

Won 102 games in the regular season, won the NL East by 13 games over the Braves, led the major leagues in attendance, Roy Halladay with a great season, etc., etc. Seemed destined for a World Championship.

But in the clutch, the Phils couldn't score enough runs against good left-handed pitching with Ryan Howard being Exhibit A. Very disappointing.

NO. The best team ever would not get shutout in their last game and have Ryan Howard flopping on the ground like a flounder. 0 R, 3 H, 2 E

Where do you rank the 2011 Cards?

Was there in 1980, season tickets, attended most games. I think the 2008 team was better, not looking it up but I think the 2009 team had a better record.

Was there in 1980, season tickets, attended most games. I think the 2008 team was better, not looking it up but I think the 2009 team had a better record.
Did the 1980 team have Pete Rose? Check. Then 1980 was better.

have to go with the 1993 Phillies as the most awesome team in the history of sports
Nooo. They went from LAST to first with Lenny dykstras magic vitamins and then back to the bottom.

Ps. The phillies are a joke of an organization. 6 playoff appearances in 38 years. 5 were 2007-11. 1 for the other 33. 0 since Middleton took over.

I loved the Phillies in the 70's and 80's. Ritchie Ashburn and Harry Kallis. Baseball heaven!!

NO. The best team ever would not get shutout in their last game and have Ryan Howard flopping on the ground like a flounder. 0 R, 3 H, 2 E

Where do you rank the 2011 Cards?
Really??!! Making fun of Ryan Howard when he suffered an Achilles injury! My beloved stepmother used to call my father Horace when she wanted to bust his stones or he needed an ass whuppin’! Sounds like you deserve the same for being a glib SOB, you glib SOB!

Really??!! Making fun of Ryan Howard when he suffered an Achilles injury! My beloved stepmother used to call my father Horace when she wanted to bust his stones or he needed an ass whuppin’! Sounds like you deserve the same for being a glib SOB, you glib SOB!

Better men than you have tried.

Dispute my points. The supposed best team put of 0 runs that game. ZERO.

Now get your shine box.

Best pitching staff in 2011. Offense was getting old and just didn’t get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT