ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For board lawyers, merger of Reed Smith with Pepper Hamilton

lionlurker

Jan 28, 2012
What do you think about this? Will Reed Smith cede control and become a Philly-centric firm? What does this mean for Pittsburgh?

All-knowing board, I ask your opinion.

What do you think about this? Will Reed Smith cede control and become a Philly-centric firm? What does this mean for Pittsburgh?

Other way around. Pepper is far weaker little sister.

" Reed Smith was the firm that was brought in by Penn State to advise the [Scoundrels] in the early days of the Scandal."
" Guadagnino, a PSU alum and associate general counsel for our Office of General Counsel, came from Reed Smith."

Some real resume builders.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Not sure about the answer to your Pittsburgh question, lionlurker, but Reed Smith was the firm that was brought in by Penn State to advise the BoT in the early days of the Scandal.

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2011/11/psu-reed-smith.html

Frank Guadagnino, a PSU alum and associate general counsel for our Office of General Counsel, came from Reed Smith.

Actually, Dan Booker and Jack Cobeto from Reed Smith are still representing PSU including the recent attempt to stop the Paternos from dragging Barron into court.

Reactions: step.eng69
Without going into great detail, I work for a company that provides business process outsourcing exclusively to law firms. We were far down the road with Reed Smith only to have them just say "we are nott interested in your services" after we were on our fourth meeting. We just thought it very odd at the time, in sales you have to trust your gut, and I was getting ready to put a proposal together for them. The merger certainly did not help us.

Reed Smith has 3X as many lawyers as Pepper Hamilton, although they're both considered to be large law firms. I don't think it will mean all that much for Pittsburgh, and I'd suspect that it would be more of a situation where PH merged into Reed versus the other way around. There might be some friction after the mergers within the new firm of attorneys with duplicate practices, but I'd doubt it would affect Pittsburgh too much, although Reed Smith's Philly office would likely grow significantly.

Not sure about the answer to your Pittsburgh question, lionlurker, but Reed Smith was the firm that was brought in by Penn State to advise the BoT in the early days of the Scandal.

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2011/11/psu-reed-smith.html

Frank Guadagnino, a PSU alum and associate general counsel for our Office of General Counsel, came from Reed Smith
.[/QUOTE

Lessee, goes from being a partner in a substantial law firm to a subordinate position in a university counsel's office, where the bulk of his expertise will be useless. Smacks of a well-paid, early retirement gig.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT