ADVERTISEMENT

OT: flying the friendly skies

People love to get worked up about airlines and air travel. I don't quite get it. Ruins their trip.

I'm not for getting worked up or ruining trips. But there are good airlines right now and bad airlines. American/United/Delta made somewhere around $16 billion in profit last year with high priced tickets, old planes and bad service -- largely because the industry has consolidated and there is little to nonexistent competition on 75% of routes in the U.S.

If you want things to get better, you have to ignore your frequent flyer points and vote with your feet -- whenever possible, fly on airlines that are maybe running a little less profit margin and providing a little better service for the money.

If you were making $16 billion a year making customers miserable and charging sky-high ticket prices, why would you change a thing?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
TSA precheck typically saves 10-15 minutes at the big airports like LAX, JFK, ORD, ATL etc. you don't have to take off your shoes, belt or take your laptops out of the bag. Some smaller airports don't have it or they have a stripped down version. But overall it is easily worth the $85. Id happily pay double that amount. I can get through security at the SD airport in 5 minutes even at the busiest times.

Smaller airports --- my experience is having to stand in the same line as everyone else, but the person checking IDs will give you a card so that his/her colleagues know you don't have to take off your shoes, et cetera.

PreCheck is definitely worth it. The $85 paid for itself the very first time I used it. I showed up at 5 AM for a 6 AM flight (flying Cincinnati-O'Hare-Oklahoma City). Problem was, my 6 AM was cancelled. After standing in line at the AA desk for 5 minutes, they re-booked me onto a 5:20 AM flight (Cincinnati-Charlotte-Oklahoma City) - provided I could make it to the gate before the door closed. The 1-minute PreCheck line vs. the 15-minute General Security line helped me make it.

Profits bread competition. The reason we are where we are today is because all the airlines were losing money and going bankrupt.

As a frequent traveler you should be glad they are making money. It means new entrants.

It means Foreign airlines will fight harder for open skies.

It means airlines will return to perks to get customers.

LdN

Reactions: nittnee
Smaller airports --- my experience is having to stand in the same line as everyone else, but the person checking IDs will give you a card so that his/her colleagues know you don't have to take off your shoes, et cetera.

PreCheck is definitely worth it. The $85 paid for itself the very first time I used it. I showed up at 5 AM for a 6 AM flight (flying Cincinnati-O'Hare-Oklahoma City). Problem was, my 6 AM was cancelled. After standing in line at the AA desk for 5 minutes, they re-booked me onto a 5:20 AM flight (Cincinnati-Charlotte-Oklahoma City) - provided I could make it to the gate before the door closed. The 1-minute PreCheck line vs. the 15-minute General Security line helped me make it.
Agree - PreCheck is a life saver - Philly is my "home" airport and the TSA lines are completely unpredictable - you never know if it will be 5 minutes or 45. Just depends on how many lines they decide to open. I fly through O'Hare at least a half dozen times a year also so another reason that $85 was well spent.

I am 1k on United and they gave me Pre-TSA gratis. However, I am not granted Pre-TSA pretty often. In fact, I am not given Pre-TSA about 40% of the time. Perhaps it is because I end up changing my flights a lot (at the last minute). Often, I just book two one-way flights knowing my schedule is in flux (I book one leg when I know it is solid to get the cheaper fair, then book the second leg when it gets solidified). I suspect that is a red flag to TSA and I get flagged for greater scrutiny. My question is, am I better off to go to TSA pay the money and get it through them or just continue with the one that United gave me?

I fly weekly as well. Have got the ole the plane changed one time in 2 1/2 yrs. I went from bulkhead to jammed into a window. My bitch there is I am ex platinum, should a choice set. That did nothing

I am 1k on United and they gave me Pre-TSA gratis. However, I am not granted Pre-TSA pretty often. In fact, I am not given Pre-TSA about 40% of the time. Perhaps it is because I end up changing my flights a lot (at the last minute). Often, I just book two one-way flights knowing my schedule is in flux (I book one leg when I know it is solid to get the cheaper fair, then book the second leg when it gets solidified). I suspect that is a red flag to TSA and I get flagged for greater scrutiny. My question is, am I better off to go to TSA pay the money and get it through them or just continue with the one that United gave me?

I'm not sure I follow - you have TSA PreCheck courtesy of your status through United but you are 'not granted Pre-TSA pretty often?'

I'm not sure I follow - you have TSA PreCheck courtesy of your status through United but you are 'not granted Pre-TSA pretty often?'

Just avoided being bumped on June 30 with Delta. I was flying Atlanta to Allentown. This was my 4th such trip this year and I have 60,000 + frequent flyer miles and their American Express card. I thought that would protect me. Since someone else was covering the flight I was booked in Economy with no seat assigned. The flight was overbooked, but since it was a 9PM flight not many, if any, volunteers. After those with assigned seats were boarded there were about 15 of us waiting. I figured that I had some priority as I fly regularly. Then they started to board others and finally there are just four of us waiting. One guy suggested that we share a car and ride to Allentown. Two women volunteered and I got on the flight. I could not figure out why I was the last to board but my new friend figured it out. We were traveling as singles - easier to bump. The others with no seats were multiples. Really sucks when you book a month early and almost get bumped. Also, I confirmed 24 hours early and arrived at the gate real early.

Maybe it expired? Dunno. I have it but sometimes the airline I'm flying isn't a participant.

yeah...I once inquired about it to United and they said they had no visibility into it. Probably, United gave them a list of high value clients and they auto-enabled them. But they may have cut me since then.

LOL. I have TSA PreCheck and Global Entry - both necessary and worth it because of my job. Having said that, I do not like when TSA PreCheck is integrated with the regular security lines; the only nice thing then is that you don't have to take off your shoes or fuss with your carry on bag - though you still have to wait in line. Dulles has it's own TSA PreCheck security checkpoint which is great, except the last time I went through I got pulled out of line for a 'random' extra security check. :(

I think you missed the point of my post, perhaps refer to a later post of mine in this thread (#37) for some clarity.

In the early days of TSA precheck it was given to some frequent fliers with status. However, that status did not transfer to other airlines. For instance if you flew AA and had been granted precheck it wouldn't work if you booked a southwest flight. If you apply through TSA you get a number that enables you to be precheck on any airline

My wife and I fly once a year. For the past 3 years, we've been getting Pre-Check on our flights. Its not a big deal out of MDT, but does save time at FLL. Never applied for it, and we've flown on different airlines.

I fly a decent amount (12-20 times per year) including international at least once per year and have for the past 15+ years. Never have been bumped nor remember my seat being changed. I hear all these stories, but wonder who it is happening to. I hear them asking for people to change flights all the time because of being overbooked, but I never heard them literally not letting the person on the plane that had bought a ticket. Somebody always ends up taking the voucher. Highest I ever saw it get to was two full airfares with no restrictions and they needed two people, one guy got up and then nobody else and I thought they were going to say three tickets at which point I was getting up but somebody then got up and took the second after about a 15 second waiting period. And there is many times where I don't get a seat assignment when I check in because obviously they are overbooked but I just goto the counter at the gate and they give me a seat.

I actually think that generally the airlines now are much better than 10-15 years ago. I don't have actual statistics, but the amount of time my flights are delayed (weather doesn't count) or they do circles of the airport for 30-45 minutes waiting to land seems much, much less than it used to be. Flying unless you are platinum or greater status stinks. There are lines and planes are crowded and things get delayed, etc...and you have little to no rights. But if you just accept that is the way it is going to be as there is not much you can do about it, then it isn't that bad. I now just make sure I always have multiple TV/Movie downloads on my IPAD and have put the Comcast App on there two as when in the airport it is simple to watch TV on your IPAD through that app. So if you have stuff to do, the the waiting becomes much more tolerable.

the system is great, i have only paid for one of my last 5 international trips which have been on american and united. and i have zero status. the one i paid for was on wow, but i got a free upgrade for more legroom and also free checks bags and most people say they suck. the system is there to help you. maybe the people who complain are just F*$^*&^ Idiots who don't know how to work it.

tboyer sounds like that little school girl who cries when he doesn't get his way and needs his little jewels caressed and told how great he is. get on the plane, smile be polite and stfu and the staff will give you anything you want because the majority of people on the flight are ignorant or self absorbed. being nice goes a long way.

Air Lingus, lmao that's rich, that fact that Tboyer used that airline to compare to the other listed is hilariously. the ones at the top of the list shouldn't be compared to others like American Delta and United , because its not a fair fight.

also get rid of the labor laws and unions i want all flight attendants in 6 in heels and to be toned 25 year olds that all look alike like on the other airlines. the fact they let 40 plus years olds even on american planes is just dumb.

the system is great, i have only paid for one of my last 5 international trips which have been on american and united. and i have zero status. the one i paid for was on wow, but i got a free upgrade for more legroom and also free checks bags and most people say they suck. the system is there to help you. maybe the people who complain are just F*$^*&^ Idiots who don't know how to work it.

tboyer sounds like that little school girl who cries when he doesn't get his way and needs his little jewels caressed and told how great he is. get on the plane, smile be polite and stfu and the staff will give you anything you want because the majority of people on the flight are ignorant or self absorbed. being nice goes a long way.

Air Lingus, lmao that's rich, that fact that Tboyer used that airline to compare to the other listed is hilariously. the ones at the top of the list shouldn't be compared to others like American Delta and United , because its not a fair fight.

also get rid of the labor laws and unions i want all flight attendants in 6 in heels and to be toned 25 year olds that all look alike like on the other airlines. the fact they let 40 plus years olds even on american planes is just dumb.

recently I was at JFK waiting to board an A380 for an international flight. Next door, was an Etihad A380 preparing. In walks an army of flight attendants: they looked like the supporting singers in "Addicted to Love". They were dressed exactly the same from shoes, to hat, to hair style, to coat, to scarf. It was like a parade. Probably 50 gals.

5992366063_ca514dd83b_z.jpg
images
Etihad1.jpg

Very 1980's but very impressive. Not sure my gal friends would agree though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT