ADVERTISEMENT

OT: flying the friendly skies

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
While there's a break in the action and visions of doing the ex-pat thing are still fresh in our minds...

Yet again, an airline felt compelled to switch up our confirmed seats. I even took a a screenshot that morning showing we were confirmed as 17a and 17c (window/aisle) which we booked thru AA on Iberia last December.

Instead, we wound up in 35a/c with the explanation that "the plane changed." um, actually, no, it didn't. at least we got our window and aisle and were still seated together... but the explanation rings hollow.

Meanwhile, we did finally hear from Air Berlin re our trip last September/October where they bumped us out of our confirmed bulkhead seats and separated the wife and I by placing us in the middle of rows (several rows apart) for our 9 hr flight home (later "fixed" to sitting together near the back of the plane... so from the front to the back).

We heard them say they were sorry about any difficulty and they care about customer service and will look into resolving it. Mind you, that email arrived about 6 months after our first complaint. The boys of AB are on the case! And no, a couple months later we've heard nary as peep.

Seems confirmed seats are pretty much a joke... they'll always have an excuse.

To be fair, flying Iberia was pleasing on the eyes! For me, anyways :)

But seriously now, does anyone have a tried and true method that solves this dilemma? Aside from flying first class (and even then I see people having problems)... not sure what one does. These are long flights we spend hours planning for... and the seats aren't exactly cheap. Anyone?

Sometimes the planes do change. It could be the same type of aircraft but have a slightly different seating arrangement.

Sometimes it is a completely different plane.

There are also times a flight must be cancelled due to weather and they must collapse, to the best of their ability, two flights into one.

I fly every week, and I rarely if ever have an issue with a confirmed seat.

When I do, and they make an excuse, it is typically correct.

People love to get worked up about airlines and air travel. I don't quite get it. Ruins their trip.

LdN

While there's a break in the action and visions of doing the ex-pat thing are still fresh in our minds...

Yet again, an airline felt compelled to switch up our confirmed seats. I even took a a screenshot that morning showing we were confirmed as 17a and 17c (window/aisle) which we booked thru AA on Iberia last December.

Instead, we wound up in 35a/c with the explanation that "the plane changed." um, actually, no, it didn't. at least we got our window and aisle and were still seated together... but the explanation rings hollow.

Meanwhile, we did finally hear from Air Berlin re our trip last September/October where they bumped us out of our confirmed bulkhead seats and separated the wife and I by placing us in the middle of rows (several rows apart) for our 9 hr flight home (later "fixed" to sitting together near the back of the plane... so from the front to the back).

We heard them say they were sorry about any difficulty and they care about customer service and will look into resolving it. Mind you, that email arrived about 6 months after our first complaint. The boys of AB are on the case! And no, a couple months later we've heard nary as peep.

But seriously now, does anyone have a tried and true method that solves this dilemma? Aside from flying first class (and even then I see people having problems)... not sure what one does. These are long flights we spend hours planning for... and the seats aren't exactly cheap. Anyone?

One other thing... airlines now quote a single price for tickets vs. a ticket price and a taxes price. For international travel, the taxes are a huge impact on the price. Sometimes 300 dollars plus. My recent trip to France my ticket was $140 and taxes were $350 ish.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
When do you typically check in for your flight?

I normally check with 24 hours in advance of the flight and get my boarding pass. This way my seat is confirmed and I don't have problems with them giving my seat away.

All airlines are pretty stinky. The only real difference is a matter of degree.

I try not to get worked up about it. Really and truly, there is not a whole lot you can do. You kinda know you are at their whim as soon as you buy the ticket.

I will say the best $85 I ever spent in my life was for TSA Precheck. At least that is one giant hassle eliminated. Unless you prefer taking your clothes off with the rest of the peasants.

When do you typically check in for your flight?

I normally check with 24 hours in advance of the flight and get my boarding pass. This way my seat is confirmed and I don't have problems with them giving my seat away.

I think i'll run that one up the flag with the wife who is, ummm, difficult about paying for internet on ship. I think this is excellent advice.. thanx!

that said, I still see poeple on the plane with those passes having issues... which might be as simple as they have the wrong stuff in the first place.

Sometimes the planes do change. It could be the same type of aircraft but have a slightly different seating arrangement.

There are also times a flight must be cancelled due to weather and they must collapse, to the best of their ability, two flights into one.

People love to get worked up about airlines and air travel. I don't quite get it. Ruins their trip.

LdN
I'll assume you have status and therefore rarely have a problem. Make the next few flights outside your airlines partner network and let us know how that goes for you.

I have status on United and therefore their network. However, if I fly outside that network something usually goes wrong.

Fought wife tooth and nail on Global Entry and she complains about the $200 we spent (doesn't do us much good on intl flights with non-us carriers except customs on return)... to me, it's been well worth it.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Agreed that TSA precheck and/or Global Entry are well worth the $$$. I travel a few times a month and it comes in handy every single time I fly.
For the longest time I rarely flew, although it is picking up greatly. It doesn't matter. $85 for 5 years. Fly once a year round trip and that means $8.50 to bypass the moron line. That's less than the cost of one drink in Manhattan or LA. Can't beat it with a stick.

We typically leave the country once, maybe twice each year. I've yet to have a satisfactory experience start to finish. Typically go 3 for 4 (the mess is always on the return fliught, 3 sraight years). And while I agree stuff happens, I've never seen stuff happen so much in one industry as it does with airlines.

I keep imagining this: you spend hours selecting the right car make, model, style, features, and price. You put your money down and go get your car. They show it to you, you get in, and you're ready to roll.

Then they say, oops,we're giving it to that guy. Sorry, it's the last of its kind. But you can have another car (different color or options)... and no, you can't have your money back.

how long would that last? lol.

I'll assume you have status and therefore rarely have a problem. Make the next few flights outside your airlines partner network and let us know how that goes for you.

I have status on United and therefore their network. However, if I fly outside that network something usually goes wrong.

Well I've been flying every week round trip on delta for 2 months now. No status yet. When it's 24hrs before departure I check in.

Last week, I was delayed 5 hours. First the 2:20 flight was delayed because of no pilot (I switched to the 2:20 because of weather coming at 5ish). Then the pilot arrived and we waited so long to push back they had to bring someone on to offer us to leave. Then, of course it's after 5pm and they have us on a hold due to weather. Around 7:pm we departed and we landed at 10pm.

On AA I have status. I can book the exit row early. I've never been automatically upgraded.

On Jet Blue no status, never been moved.

On United, no status. Never once (and I was Silver for years) lost my seat except once when they went from a larger to smaller aircraft.

LdN

I have platinum status with AA. Always fall short of exec platinum. I get upgraded about 30-50% of the time. But it depends on where I travel. If I am going to a east coast or Midwest hub the upgrade % is lower.

Well I've been flying every week round trip on delta for 2 months now. No status yet. When it's 24hrs before departure I check in.

Last week, I was delayed 5 hours. First the 2:20 flight was delayed because of no pilot (I switched to the 2:20 because of weather coming at 5ish). Then the pilot arrived and we waited so long to push back they had to bring someone on to offer us to leave. Then, of course it's after 5pm and they have us on a hold due to weather. Around 7:pm we departed and we landed at 10pm.

On AA I have status. I can book the exit row early. I've never been automatically upgraded.

On Jet Blue no status, never been moved.

On United, no status. Never once (and I was Silver for years) lost my seat except once when they went from a larger to smaller aircraft.

LdN
I should mention that I've never (knock wood) had a domestic flight seat issue. Only intl, and only on the return flight.

All airlines are pretty stinky. The only real difference is a matter of degree.

I try not to get worked up about it. Really and truly, there is not a whole lot you can do. You kinda know you are at their whim as soon as you buy the ticket.

I will say the best $85 I ever spent in my life was for TSA Precheck. At least that is one giant hassle eliminated. Unless you prefer taking your clothes off with the rest of the peasants.
Steerage.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steerage_(deck)

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Please bear with my ignorance but there are things that I don't get. By what criteria are people "bumped"? I mean what parameters are used to select certain people and not those next to them, or the row infrontof/behind them, or anyone else? 4rosco above seems to think it is based on when you check in; is that the case? From what the OP suggests, it's not based on those who have had their confirmed seats the longest. Are the airlines just using a dartboard? What is the best strategy to avoid being the person selected to lose his seat?

How does paying for TSA Precheck work? I mean, wouldn't those with nefarious intent be MORE likely to purchase that? What exactly are they screening poor people for that those who pay apparently don't have?

LdN

I agree with all of this ...... "crap does happen" with flights (weather, delays, having to collapse 2 flights into 1).

People don't like "crap happening" - but more people like to complain versus "going with the flow."

I once had a flight cancelled. I had no status with the airline (AA). But one of their gate agents did accommodate me onto a flight into Louisville instead of Cincinnati, and also gave me $100 to go towards a car rental for the Louisville-Cincinnati drive.

Of course, there were 3 things I could have viewed as negatives. (1) My journey was definitely extended (now had a 1.5-hour car drive). (2) $100 didn't cover 100% of the car rental (about $20 out of my pocket). (3) I was no longer in nice seat 11A. I was now in the worst seat of the plane, seat 98Z.

I suppose I could have complained. I was just happy to HAVE a seat and heading home. That beat all the negatives. Certainly better than sitting at the airport.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Please bear with my ignorance but there are things that I don't get. By what criteria are people "bumped"? I mean what parameters are used to select certain people and not those next to them, or the row infrontof/behind them, or anyone else? 4rosco above seems to think it is based on when you check in; is that the case? From what the OP suggests, it's not based on those who have had their confirmed seats the longest. Are the airlines just using a dartboard? What is the best strategy to avoid being the person selected to lose his seat?

How does paying for TSA Precheck work? I mean, wouldn't those with nefarious intent be MORE likely to purchase that? What exactly are they screening poor people for that those who pay apparently don't have?
You get fingerprinted and they do a background check on you. They run you through various terrorist databases known only to the Gov and I believe they run a criminal background as well. They still check photo ID, you still get the magnetometer and your carryons are X-rayed. If you get through the Precheck process you get assigned a TT (Trusted Traveler) number and off you go.

Simple. Avoid United/American/Delta. They are simply a bad deal these days. You're paying premium quality fare for Wal-Mart service.

When you fly internationally, if you want to spend a couple hundred extra dollars for decent service and food, go for an excellent airline -- Luthansa, British, Air France, Emirates, Singapore, Cathay Pacific, followed by Aer Lingus, Iberia, Alitalia.

Or, if you're willing to pack light, and put up with bad or nonexistent food, save money by looking Norwegian or Wow or one of the many little upstarts starting to fly across the Atlantic.

We're flying Norwegian nonstop to Rome for $370 ROUND TRIP. You get no checked baggage (only a 20 lb carry on) and no free food (not even water), but who cares? We're experienced travelers so we pack light, and it's really easy to just bring a sandwich and water bottle on board -- airline food is pretty bad unless you're flying one of the excellent airlines. Use the savings to buy a couple of excellent meals in Rome. Plus Norwegian's planes are new Boeing 787s which are super comfortable with good inflight entertainment.

I won't lie, I will fly American/United/Delta but only if I have to. Last time I flew American across the Atlantic, last fall, the flight was a 35-year-old Boeing 757 packed like a sardine can, the food was basically prison food, and departure was an hour late.

I don't mind toughing it out for a $400 or $500 round trip. But not for the prices American/United/Delta usually charge.

You get fingerprinted and they do a background check on you. They run you through various terrorist databases known only to the Gov and I believe they run a criminal background as well. they still check photo ID, you still get the magnetometer and your carryons are X-rayed. If you get through the Precheck process you get assigned a TT (Trusted Traveler) number and off you go.

Given how terrible TSA is, I think the background check probably makes us safer than TSA does.

We've been pretty lucky lately getting TSA Precheck when checking in 24 hours before. Our last several trips we had those 3 magic letters stamped on our boarding pass. Obviously we didn't have it returning from Vancouver, but didn't need it. That's a nice airport.

Given how terrible TSA is, I think the background check probably makes us safer than TSA does.
You never know what you'll get. I was in Texas last week, TSA at PIT, Midway and Love were very professional and fine. I've had other trips where I swear the surly bastiges were hired right out of the County Jail.

EXACTLY RIGHT. What was I thinking??? Everyone should completely blow off TSA Precheck (with the exception of Panda and me).

Seriously though, TSA Precheck really isn't the value that it used to be. Too many noobs signing up, as evidenced by longer lines and there always being someone who doesn't understand what they do and do not have to take off.

It reminds me of those airports with the "expert traveler" lanes, and damn near everyone considers themselves and expert... yet their actions make me think it's the first time they'e ever been in an airport.

4rosco above seems to think it is based on when you check in; is that the case?
What I am saying it that once you check in you are confirmed for the flight and have an actual boarding pass to get on the plane with. It makes it difficult for the airline to make any changes to your seat assignment at that point as they could have 2 people assigned to the same seat

TSA precheck typically saves 10-15 minutes at the big airports like LAX, JFK, ORD, ATL etc. you don't have to take off your shoes, belt or take your laptops out of the bag. Some smaller airports don't have it or they have a stripped down version. But overall it is easily worth the $85. Id happily pay double that amount. I can get through security at the SD airport in 5 minutes even at the busiest times.

TSA precheck typically saves 10-15 minutes at the big airports like LAX, JFK, ORD, ATL etc. you don't have to take off your shoes, belt or take your laptops out of the bag. Some smaller airports don't have it or they have a stripped down version. But overall it is easily worth the $85. Id happily pay double that amount. I can get through security at the SD airport in 5 minutes even at the busiest times.
Interesting. I haven't been to Lindbergh since before 9/11. I've seen bad lines at Pittsburgh though, let alone McCarran or Houston IAH. I'm just glad I have it. Once is enough!

I fly a decent amount (12-20 times per year) including international at least once per year and have for the past 15+ years. Never have been bumped nor remember my seat being changed. I hear all these stories, but wonder who it is happening to. I hear them asking for people to change flights all the time because of being overbooked, but I never heard them literally not letting the person on the plane that had bought a ticket. Somebody always ends up taking the voucher. Highest I ever saw it get to was two full airfares with no restrictions and they needed two people, one guy got up and then nobody else and I thought they were going to say three tickets at which point I was getting up but somebody then got up and took the second after about a 15 second waiting period. And there is many times where I don't get a seat assignment when I check in because obviously they are overbooked but I just goto the counter at the gate and they give me a seat.

I actually think that generally the airlines now are much better than 10-15 years ago. I don't have actual statistics, but the amount of time my flights are delayed (weather doesn't count) or they do circles of the airport for 30-45 minutes waiting to land seems much, much less than it used to be. Flying unless you are platinum or greater status stinks. There are lines and planes are crowded and things get delayed, etc...and you have little to no rights. But if you just accept that is the way it is going to be as there is not much you can do about it, then it isn't that bad. I now just make sure I always have multiple TV/Movie downloads on my IPAD and have put the Comcast App on there two as when in the airport it is simple to watch TV on your IPAD through that app. So if you have stuff to do, the the waiting becomes much more tolerable.

I agree...check in immediately and get your boarding pass. Why? Its harder to bump you out of your seat. Typically, they get overflow due to cancelled flights. When that happens, they start bumping lower end passengers. They also open up seats that they were holding in that 24 hour window so sometimes you get better.

Also, if you fly a partner airline, you need to download THEIR app and have THEIR FF #. If you are, say, United and fly AirLingus, you only have codeshare status on their "Global Alliance". So you don't get upgrades or high end club rooms. For me, I am typically one level back from United (1k on United, Gold on GA; Platinum on United, Silver on GA).

when complaining, always ask for what you want. It you are bumped from your window, ask for a different flight or club room complimentary access or 25,000 miles or whatever. Call the number, don't mess with the people at the airport (and ask for a supervisor).

So, its best to stay on a single airline if you can (United, AA, Delta, SW). Check in as soon as you can.

We've been pretty lucky lately getting TSA Precheck when checking in 24 hours before. Our last several trips we had those 3 magic letters stamped on our boarding pass. Obviously we didn't have it returning from Vancouver, but didn't need it. That's a nice airport.

I think if you have credit card status on some airlines, you automatically get Pre-Check from your home airport. I flew 5 RT last year, and I think that happened to me on all of my flights out of Columbus (both AA and Delta). Inbound, not so much.

Simple. Avoid United/American/Delta. They are simply a bad deal these days. You're paying premium quality fare for Wal-Mart service.

When you fly internationally, if you want to spend a couple hundred extra dollars for decent service and food, go for an excellent airline -- Luthansa, British, Air France, Emirates, Singapore, Cathay Pacific, followed by Aer Lingus, Iberia, Alitalia.

Or, if you're willing to pack light, and put up with bad or nonexistent food, save money by looking Norwegian or Wow or one of the many little upstarts starting to fly across the Atlantic.

We're flying Norwegian nonstop to Rome for $370 ROUND TRIP. You get no checked baggage (only a 20 lb carry on) and no free food (not even water), but who cares? We're experienced travelers so we pack light, and it's really easy to just bring a sandwich and water bottle on board -- airline food is pretty bad unless you're flying one of the excellent airlines. Use the savings to buy a couple of excellent meals in Rome. Plus Norwegian's planes are new Boeing 787s which are super comfortable with good inflight entertainment.

I won't lie, I will fly American/United/Delta but only if I have to. Last time I flew American across the Atlantic, last fall, the flight was a 35-year-old Boeing 757 packed like a sardine can, the food was basically prison food, and departure was an hour late.

I don't mind toughing it out for a $400 or $500 round trip. But not for the prices American/United/Delta usually charge.

One other thing to look for when flying internationally is using a partner/codeshare airline to your main airline. When we fly international, we try to use miles--once we were able to use Air Berlin rather than American. One other nice feature--one way using miles does is allowed and does not cost more (unlike regular fares). On that Air Berlin trip, we were able to fly into Duesseldorf but our trip home left from Berlin, which saved us a few hours of driving.

A caveat to that, however. British Airways will add a "fuel surcharge" if you run your frequent flyer trip through them, which can amount to a few hundred dollars each way. Avoid them.

My general sense is a lot of these "bumps" are people who have changed their seat yet not updated their paper ticket.

It's not as if the airline is going to come out and publicly trash a customer for being an idiot.

LdN

LdN

Well said. There are greater tragedies in life than the entitled American getting inconvenienced.

I fly a decent amount (12-20 times per year) including international at least once per year and have for the past 15+ years. Never have been bumped nor remember my seat being changed. I hear all these stories, but wonder who it is happening to. I hear them asking for people to change flights all the time because of being overbooked, but I never heard them literally not letting the person on the plane that had bought a ticket. Somebody always ends up taking the voucher. Highest I ever saw it get to was two full airfares with no restrictions and they needed two people, one guy got up and then nobody else and I thought they were going to say three tickets at which point I was getting up but somebody then got up and took the second after about a 15 second waiting period. And there is many times where I don't get a seat assignment when I check in because obviously they are overbooked but I just goto the counter at the gate and they give me a seat.

I actually think that generally the airlines now are much better than 10-15 years ago. I don't have actual statistics, but the amount of time my flights are delayed (weather doesn't count) or they do circles of the airport for 30-45 minutes waiting to land seems much, much less than it used to be. Flying unless you are platinum or greater status stinks. There are lines and planes are crowded and things get delayed, etc...and you have little to no rights. But if you just accept that is the way it is going to be as there is not much you can do about it, then it isn't that bad. I now just make sure I always have multiple TV/Movie downloads on my IPAD and have put the Comcast App on there two as when in the airport it is simple to watch TV on your IPAD through that app. So if you have stuff to do, the the waiting becomes much more tolerable.

"Flying unless you are platinum or greater status stinks. There are lines and planes are crowded and things get delayed, etc...and you have little to no rights. But if you just accept that is the way it is going to be as there is not much you can do about it, then it isn't that bad."

I cannot understand this psychosis Americans have towards authority figures. Aboard a ship or plane the captain is god. His authority is absolute. It must be that way because he has the safety of the entire group in mind. That means you throw aside any personal interests you might have and get into lock step, not unlike a "good German." But alas, Americans these days cannot handle it. Everyone is the victim of some slight, real or imagined. The American public didn't used to be that way but it is now.

"Flying unless you are platinum or greater status stinks. There are lines and planes are crowded and things get delayed, etc...and you have little to no rights. But if you just accept that is the way it is going to be as there is not much you can do about it, then it isn't that bad."

I cannot understand this psychosis Americans have towards authority figures. Aboard a ship or plane the captain is god. His authority is absolute. It must be that way because he has the safety of the entire group in mind. That means you throw aside any personal interests you might have and get into lock step, not unlike a "good German." But alas, Americans these days cannot handle it. Everyone is the victim of some slight, real or imagined. The American public didn't used to be that way but it is now.
What if the captain is a woman?

Serioiusly, there is a lot of confusion about what is an assigned seat and what is just a best guess you'll get said seat. The airlines are their own worst enemy. The captain isn't at issue when the plane is still in the gate and someone took the seat you paid extra for. The captain only has authority when the plane is in the air.

So to paraphrase. You know a way to save time at the airport and you're telling everyone in the hope that they all sign up too, so you can no longer save time at the airport.

You know who would have happily jumped at the chance to be in your most unfortunate situation? This guy....
Planes-Trains-Automobiles-Steve-Martin-angry.jpg

No, TSA precheck is the biggest waste of money ever!!!!!

I encourage everyone to ignore Fox Chapel Lion's post.

LOL. I have TSA PreCheck and Global Entry - both necessary and worth it because of my job. Having said that, I do not like when TSA PreCheck is integrated with the regular security lines; the only nice thing then is that you don't have to take off your shoes or fuss with your carry on bag - though you still have to wait in line. Dulles has it's own TSA PreCheck security checkpoint which is great, except the last time I went through I got pulled out of line for a 'random' extra security check. :(

What are you talking about, not sure how you took that from the comments. I said that if you are going to fly, you are going to stand in lines and planes are crowded, that is a fact that cannot be changed unless you fly first class. And if a flight gets delayed, again, there is nothing you can do about it. Complaining to the local desk person on a delayed flight gets nothing. If I ever paid for an upgrade and they bumped me to the back of the plane in a middle seat, I would raise holy hell with them and demand to be changed back or get compensated, but as I mentioned, I have never had that happen. I think 90% of the people that say they had that happen to them in actuality didn't know what they were doing and actually did not have what they thought they had. So accept that it is going to be that way and make the most of it. How does that have anything to do with the airline captain on a plane?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT