ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Florida

Grass

Gold Member
May 31, 2001
South San Francisco
I'm thinking about moving from the Bay Area to Florida. Been here for close to 7 years and I'm wanting to head back east and Florida would be my ideal location due to my hate of long, cold winters. I was a bartender in South Beach and in lived Ft. Lauderdale in my younger years so I'm not looking to go back to either location now that I'm married. Too many "distractions" if you know what I mean. I was thinking about Key West (love to snorkel, paddle board and kayak), but my wife thinks it's too small and she wants to live closer to a major city. Quite honestly that's the entire reason I enjoy Key West. I'm in wireless telecom and there aren't a lot of jobs in Florida, but I have a lot of management experience and I think I could find work in another industry. Any opinions on possible areas to check out? Needs to be close to the ocean and fairly close to a city (for the wife) with a lot of options for water activities (snorkeling is important). I was already checking out St. Petersburg, Sarasota and Naples, but I'm not all that familiar with the west coast of Florida. Thanks in advance!

20622244_1619999024706647_1379570925608754796_n.jpg

Biased to the east coast - Jupiter. Juno Beach even better.

end_august88-2.jpg

Last edited:
The big difference between east and west coasts is that the west seems a little more laid back and the ocean experience is quite different. East has a lot more surf, while the west (Gulf of Mexico) is usually much calmer. You also see different transplants--the West has a lot of Canadians and midwesterners (due to I-75 being the major route in). You'll see a lot more NE types on the east coast--due to I-95.

My folks lived in Englewood (halfway between Ft Meyers and Sarasota) for 10+ years and I was down for Christmas almost all of those (oddly enough, my wife's aunt and uncle also lived there at the time). I liked the Englewood area, myself.

You should try the "Nature Coast" .... Pasco, Hernando and Citrus Counties. They have plenty of Snorkeling opportunities, scuba diving, Great rivers, estuaries, tidal waters, walloons.... there are blue Phos rivers,.... Lots of scalloping, kayaking....
Seafood is great there.... easy run to St Petersburg....or Tampa .... or Orlando (if you lose your mind) Check it out.

Reactions: kevin310 and Grass
I'm thinking about moving from the Bay Area to Florida. Been here for close to 7 years and I'm wanting to head back east and Florida would be my ideal location due to my hate of long, cold winters. I was a bartender in South Beach and in lived Ft. Lauderdale in my younger years so I'm not looking to go back to either location now that I'm married. Too many "distractions" if you know what I mean. I was thinking about Key West (love to snorkel, paddle board and kayak), but my wife thinks it's too small and she wants to live closer to a major city. Quite honestly that's the entire reason I enjoy Key West. I'm in wireless telecom and there aren't a lot of jobs in Florida, but I have a lot of management experience and I think I could find work in another industry. Any opinions on possible areas to check out? Needs to be close to the ocean and fairly close to a city (for the wife) with a lot of options for water activities (snorkeling is important). I was already checking out St. Petersburg, Sarasota and Naples, but I'm not all that familiar with the west coast of Florida. Thanks in advance!

TWO WORDS:

HURRI and CANE

Here's TWO more:

GLOBAL WARMING

I live in JAX and had zero problem with hurricane insurance (or hurricanes, for that matter b/c we don't get any). If you're going to live here longer than 10 years, be mindful of the times.

Not to mention TRAFFIC.

NOTE: I only visit there in the winter. I really like the Gulf Coast. Anywhere from St. Petersburg south.

New Smyrna Beach (East coast). Small town vibe, close to Orlando and Daytona and Space Coast. Another option is St Augustine - a really nice town and close to Jacksonville.

I had been wanting to move to Florida for years and now reside there (full time at end of September since I still travel up to Columbus for work now and then as I am semi retired). In the mid 60's we were supposed to move to Florida, but my father could not find a suitable job so after 4 years of looking we stayed in NE Ohio. My parents did move to Palm Beach Gardens when my father retired and then later to St. John's (just south of JAX) to be close to my younger sister. My mother, who passed away last month, live a total of 31 years in Florida. My grandfather had a condo on the beach in Pompano from 1970 to the late 80's. Because of this I received an education of where and where not I wanted to live in Florida.

We settled upon SW Florida, specifically Sarasota. We love it here as there is much to do. Kayaking, beach, large arts community, golf, bicycling, etc. We found Sarasota when we dropped our daughter off at Ringling College of Art and Design for a summer pre College program a few years ago. I had been here in 1965 on a trip, but it was just a small town on the then desolate west coast. My daughter lives in Estero and teaches high school art in Naples. My uncle lives in Bonita Springs and I have cousins in Naples and Estero, so I have become familiar with much of SW Florida. SE Florida IMO is too citified and overcrowded for me, NE Florida gets too cold in the winter. So SW Florida is my preference, but to each his own. I think the Ft. Myers area is a good place to start looking and you can look north or south from there.

My older daughter lives in the Bay Area and wishes she was either in Florida or Atlanta as she went to UF for undergraduate school and GA Tech for her doctorate in NucE, but she has lived elsewhere including the DC area. But Florida would be her main choice. This is also why I am familiar with the Gainesville-Ocala region. I don't know much about the panhandle other than it gets cold in the winter and they get loads of bad, stormy weather.

The big difference between east and west coasts is that the west seems a little more laid back and the ocean experience is quite different. East has a lot more surf, while the west (Gulf of Mexico) is usually much calmer. You also see different transplants--the West has a lot of Canadians and midwesterners (due to I-75 being the major route in). You'll see a lot more NE types on the east coast--due to I-95.

My folks lived in Englewood (halfway between Ft Meyers and Sarasota) for 10+ years and I was down for Christmas almost all of those (oddly enough, my wife's aunt and uncle also lived there at the time). I liked the Englewood area, myself.
Housing costs are significantly lower in Englewood compared to Sarasota. Also the area around Englewood is about to explode. If you are familiar with The Villages near Ocala, Englewood/North Port is planning a similar project called the West Villages that is supposed to really transform the area.

Reactions: Grass
Have only been to Florida for one week vacations. We of course target Orlando for the kids and grand kids but have stayed at Daytona mostly and St Petersburg once. Daytona I liked, it has a great beach which you can drive on (beware of the high tide though, tow truck drivers make out well there). The one fly in the ointment I will point out is that you are only a few miles north of the Ponce de Leon inlet and Smyrna beach which I have learned over the years is unofficially known as the shark bite capitol of the world. I have become a big NASCAR fan over the years and have been to several races at Daytona and it will grow on you. The only time we were on the west coast, we stayed at St Pete, the beach was good, the water was clearer and calmer. The problem was, we visited at the time of "the red tide". It's a bacteria that didn't affect humans, but it killed all or most of the fish and they were all over the beach. I also didn't have a secure feeling walking the streets there either.

This thread is the definition of YMMV.

One poster mentioned Daytona. I worked in Ormond Beach for 8 years. Lived in Palm Coast. I considered having to go anywhere near Daytona worse than going to the dentist. As far as the beach there, I was on Daytona Beach once in the 8 years I lived there. Cars on the beach? Hate it. Nothing against the poster who mentioned it.

I now live on the Space Coast and love it, but I'm sure it's not for everyone. Also would live further south, but once you hit the Palm Beach County line it becomes a different world.

St. Augustine is great, but remember, winters are colder north of Cape Canaveral.

Keys are great, but if you don't fish or dive there's no sense living there. Key West is stupid expensive and the people I know who lived there got "Rock fever" pretty quickly.

Sanibel is awesome, but has a very small town feel. Went there once and forgot to pack underwear. Had to cross the bridge to find some.

Hurricanes. Meh. Lived here since 94 and haven't sustained any damage.

Reactions: Nitwit
I live in West Palm Beach. Moved here a couple years ago. I love it down here. Can't go wrong with anything along the beach in south florida (as you well know). West Palm, Palm Beach, Jupiter, Delray Beach all have something for someone. If you want something with better value, you can head inland a little bit to Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter Farms, or Wellington.

Florida has something for everyone who likes water and warm weather, you just have to find the right match up. I retired in 2000 up in Ct. and one winter afternoon out ice fishing in very cold windy weather I decided the next winter I would try southern wade fishing in January and have been going to Florida for winters ever since.

We go to New Smyrna Beach just south of Daytona Beach but they are separated by an inlet with no bridge. This will be our 11th winter there out on the island section.
This is an Ocean v. the Gulf, so there is decent surfing as east coast surfing goes. You have the 500,000 acre Canaveral National Seashore along with the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, the upper Indian River Lagoon and the Kennedy Space Center properties.

There is an undeveloped ocean beach of around 30 miles that stretches from southern NSB to the launch towers at the Space Center. Most of it is accessible to the public from the north with five miles and five parking lots and from the south out of Titusville over to Playalinda Beach where there are 13 parking lots and another five miles or so of easy access. Between the north and the south access roads is an open stretch of remote ocean beach that is open to foot access and the enormous salt marsh of the Mosquito Lagoon on the ocean side connected to the Upper Indian River Lagoon on the west side by the Haulover Canal which is navigable and part of the inter-coastal waterway.
Other than the Everglades and the area of the northwest Gulf coast of Florida between around Tarpon Springs to the south and Apalachicola on the eastern Panhandle to the north, this area around the Kennedy Space Center north to NSB is the most undeveloped and wild area of Florida easily available to the public for beaches, water sports and wildlife activities.

The east coast is also easier to travel around in. I95 is only about a ten minute drive from the NSB business area. This means you can go up to Daytona or down to the south without having to get on Rt. 1 or A1A. Easy on and easy off via the I95.

To do our research we took a winter and traveled the east coast from the DelMarVa peninsula down to Florida and then hit every town on both the west and east coasts.
There are a lot of nice towns and areas but we are ocean people, who like neat towns with great restaurants, with lots to do for the wife, great fishing for me in both the surf and the lagoons, open ocean beaches with easy access, lots of public boat launches for my flats boat and so much more.

One thing about snorkeling. You do not want to do this in freshwater unless you are in a public park where there is a natural spring with park rangers who keep the alligators out of there. Or in saltwater where there is a possibility of a shark attack unless you are with an experienced group of divers doing reef dives where there is a lot of experience in dealing with sharks. Florida has a lot of sharks and alligators. But the shallow saltwater lagoons are relatively safe of sharks and alligators don't like saltwater and in the winter the water is clear.

So this is one perspective from the middle section of the East Coast of Florida. No spot is ever perfect for everything and it does get a bit colder once you get north of the Space Center on the east coast. A northeast blow off the ocean for three days has an air mass sitting over you that previously was sitting over the Outer Banks so it is not Naples down on the lower west coast.
Good luck with the adventure.

This thread is the definition of YMMV.

One poster mentioned Daytona. I worked in Ormond Beach for 8 years. Lived in Palm Coast. I considered having to go anywhere near Daytona worse than going to the dentist. As far as the beach there, I was on Daytona Beach once in the 8 years I lived there. Cars on the beach? Hate it. Nothing against the poster who mentioned it.

I now live on the Space Coast and love it, but I'm sure it's not for everyone. Also would live further south, but once you hit the Palm Beach County line it becomes a different world.

St. Augustine is great, but remember, winters are colder north of Cape Canaveral.

Keys are great, but if you don't fish or dive there's no sense living there. Key West is stupid expensive and the people I know who lived there got "Rock fever" pretty quickly.

Sanibel is awesome, but has a very small town feel. Went there once and forgot to pack underwear. Had to cross the bridge to find some.

Hurricanes. Meh. Lived here since 94 and haven't sustained any damage.

My parents have lived in Palm Coast for 25 years and I agree 100% - Daytona Beach is skeevy. I would stay away from it. A few good bars on the beach but the town overall is a dump with a fair amount of crime. Do most of my drinking in Flagler Beach which has some pretty cool bars right across from the beach and cost of living is not that bad.

Reactions: kevin310 and PSU87
I think the east coast is much more interesting due to the origins of its residents. No offense to all the retired Canadians and Midwest folks, but I prefer being near cities with younger people from Brazil, Cuba, and all the European tourists. The restaurants are better and more varied, the beaches are nicer - more Caribbean feeling, and it generally has a more exotic feeling. IMHO the west coast is too dominated by retirement communities, and takes on an early bird special feeling. But you have to pick your spots. Anywhere from Sunny Isles/Ft Lauderdale/west Palm beach and north are nice towns worth looking at.

This will be our 11th winter there
Hey CT, do you just go down for the winter (Jan/Feb/Mar) and not live year 'round? Thinking I'd like to rent a place for 3 months, maybe, instead of buying a place and furnishing it and only use it 3 months a year. I need to be near the kids/grandkids up north in PA and MD.

One of those crazy storm chasers wrecked his car and is pretty much stranded with no one to help. And the storm's eye is just offshore hanging out.

I live in West Palm Beach. Moved here a couple years ago. I love it down here. Can't go wrong with anything along the beach in south florida (as you well know). West Palm, Palm Beach, Jupiter, Delray Beach all have something for someone. If you want something with better value, you can head inland a little bit to Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter Farms, or Wellington.
West Palm Beach on the water is some seriously expensive real estate. Beautiful though. The drive up A1A is gorgeous. You can be neighbors with Trump at Mar A Lago and shop on Worth Avenue.

BowieLion, you nailed the problem right in the head. The kids and the grand-kids rule the roost. Mine are in Long Island and in the D.C. area.
Anyway, we rent for the winter, Jan - Mar. We are in NSB out on the beach in an ocean front spot but will have to move this year since the owners want to move to a weekly rental strategy.
I started 11 years ago during the financial crisis and weathered that storm plus the eventual retiring of the baby-boomer crowd and the resulting rise in the stock market. Now I am being out bid for ocean front properties but I like the inter coastal properties too which makes it easier to boat fish for shorter periods of time.
My suggestion is to rent until you know you like the area and have an established plan for living and visiting kids/grand-kids.
There are some inland gated communities in the NSB area that are only a few minutes from the beaches that are less expensive and offer some nice amenities. There are also a ton of condo complexes. During the financial crisis there were literally dozens that never opened due to lack of customers. So there are a lot of options, google up HomeAway, or visit some real estate agents, etc. and you will find something you like.
On edit, one last thought. NSB is just on the southern edge of the northern cold area of Florida. This part of Florida is more a summer resort area, not a snow bird area in general.
But it is the time of season that the wealthy snow birds that like a cool spring weather pattern show up and this is when the restaurants and town functions need to make their money so the population density is less than the summer but the activities are at their peak. So there is less crowding, prices are reasonable and there is plenty to do because there is more money in town than at any other seasonal period. And it is a primary time for anyone in the northern latitudes, who enjoy cooler weather, to visit such as the Canadians from Toronto east to Montreal/Quebec City and the Maritimes.
The worst that you can do is visit this winter for a few weeks to get a feel for the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: BowieLion
Vero Beach south to PGA Blvd. is what I tell people (avoid over-developed Stuart and Palm City though).

If you need to be around crowds of people, Boca and FTL certainly have them. The beach going is a hassle though.

If you want quiet, Jensen Beach and Hobe Sound are great and still a reasonable commute to WPB or PBG.

Jupiter is really the water destination though.

Cato's Bridge is a popular snorkeling spot - the bridge to Jupiter Island. Always someone there, but never hoards of people.

Last edited:

I've lived in Sarasota for 14 years and love it. Fishing, golf, restaurants and a low crime rate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT