ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Favorite class @ PSU

Basketball with Coach Mike Morse in my last semester. Probably one of the few classes in my four years that I didn't skip once. He taught basketball mixed in with life lessons. Great memories.

Most non-major fulfilling: History of American Labor - my engineering roommate and I (also STEM) were very impressed. Probably not taught anymore.

Most fun and informative: Theater 190. Everything from Birth of a Nation and Nanook of the North through modern (well, late 79s-early 80s).

Easiest? Nutrition 100. All of the past tests were on file at Pattee, and they rarely changed them

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUfiji
Film class in the Forum. Late 70’s and streaking was the rage including a streaker who ran through all the classrooms in the Forum that one day. :D

For me, probably English 2 at Oz. Prof. Jim Smith. I'd had straight As in HS in AP English. I thought I know what I was doing. First paper--C+. Second? C-. After that, however, I learned how to write, as he was a great teacher, and almost got an A on my final paper.

Agriculture Economics class with Prof. Jill Findeis, (sp?). She made it very interesting on how ag economics affected us in our every day work and home, such as shopping for groceries, why certain food trends get started and become popular and why the government programs are a large clusterf@ck and will stay that way. She was one of the main authors of the GATT treaties with South American countries and many other high level trade agreements, so she knew what she was talking about and that was refreshing honest to hear.

Reactions: LionJim
The movie class was great, but harder than expected. My 4 credit golf class, with the spring break trip to Disney to play everyday, was definitely the best though

Reactions: BBrown
Direct Marketing with Mickey Bergstein. You started out with an “A” and it was your job to screw it up!

Last edited:
I echo the film class - the guy who taught it looked exactly like the animated character The Critic (voiced by Jon Lovitz).
T_73344.jpg

Also echo the BLog Class with John Coyne. Amazing how many people who took that class with Coyne rate him as being top notch. If I recall he was also Penn State's faculty designate to the NCAA.

There are probably a lot of other classes closer to my academic path that were as good or better as these two, but these two classes always stand out for me.

Reactions: razpsu and LionJim
I had a finance class with Charlie Wildman during summer of 93 I believe. He was very smart and entertaining.

Meteo 431: Atmospheric Thermodynamics w/Dr. Craig Bohren. Dr. Bohren was the quintessential example of a nutty professor. I still have a full page list somewhere of all his zany quotes. He used the absurd to drive home very difficult material & he did it masterfully.

Reactions: KCLion
Art Anderson, Architecture: I was both mentally exhausted and excited after every lecture. For example, he spent two entire lectures on handrails and to this day I check out every damn handrail I encounter, seeing how it fits the hand, thinking about if it could be improved, etc.

I took a Jazz class in Schwab taught by Skip Wareham. Great class -- learned the history of Jazz and the differences between New Orleans, Chicago, Memphis, etc styles.

The final was listening to recordings and matching them to the artist.

Film class in the Forum. Late 70’s and streaking was the rage including a streaker who ran through all the classrooms in the Forum that one day. :D
I was proctoring an exam in the Forum during the emperor and empress of the north contest when a very good looking naked female streaked across the stage. The grad students and I were the only ones that saw it because the test takers had their heads buried in their exams. Unfortunately she was faster than the grad student on the stage and he was a hair too late to block the exit door closed. The exit door on the right side of the stage suddenly opened and she was gone in a flash. It would have been very interesting had the grad student been successful in preventing the exit door from being opened.

Could be most interesting
Could be easiest
Could be hottest prof

Your call?
The movie class was great, but harder than expected. My 4 credit golf class, with the spring break trip to Disney to play everyday, was definitely the best though

+1 on the Film 180 course. It was not the easy A I was told. Apparently there were 2 different Profs in the early 80's teaching it and I got the one that thought he was teaching film school at USC. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Could be most interesting
Could be easiest
Could be hottest prof

Your call?

Literature of the Occult and American Art History were 2 of my electives that I loved.
Easiest was probably Geo Sci. (101 maybe?) don't remember the number but it was affectionately known as Rock for Jocks and the Instructor was a blast. It also had a lab that was a lot of fun.

Finance 101 with Dr. Bradley and B-LOG with Dr. John Coyle. Can only recall a few professors and these two stood out to me. Also enjoyed the film class in Schwab Auditorium where we saw The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Guess the professor had the same attraction as I did (and still do) to Katherine Ross.

Easiest? Nutrition 100. All of the past tests were on file at Pattee, and they rarely changed them
I had an introductory astronomy class like that. All of the test questions were compiled from a mix of previous exams which could be found in Pattee. I was always amazed at how few kids ever bothered to take advantage.

Literature of the Occult and American Art History were 2 of my electives that I loved.
Easiest was probably Geo Sci. (101 maybe?) don't remember the number but it was affectionately known as Rock for Jocks and the Instructor was a blast. It also had a lab that was a lot of fun.

Rocks for Jocks was Geo Sci 20.

Reactions: BBrown and Nitwit
HIST 465, "History of American Thought from Formation to 1865" with Wilson Moses. Not an easy class by any means, but a stimulating one.

ENGR 408 - It was an introductory class in the engineering leadership minor. I learned more about the importance of clear communication, leadership, and people than in any other class in life, including classes from my top-ranked MBA. I would also highly rate several other classes in the minor.

Reactions: LionJim
Most interesting was a history class where we were divided into groups and had to develop our own society from the ground up. Our final exam was getting grilled on all aspects of the society by the professor and a couple of TAs. Getting an A at the end of the project was truly rewarding.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and LionJim
I had an introductory astronomy class like that. All of the test questions were compiled from a mix of previous exams which could be found in Pattee. I was always amazed at how few kids ever bothered to take advantage.

I had a Sociology class like that, as well, in Fall 1983. Prof said you didn't have to even come to class except for final day, to fill out the evaluation. 10 quizzes + mid-term + final and every potential question was on file at Pattee. Easiest A I got, except for the PhysEd classes, maybe.

Last edited:
Wasn’t that way for me. Lots of students were struggling in that class, but many of them were not hard science majors like I was. A few dropped the course. But my scientific background made this class a piece of cake.

I forget what the class was called but it dealt with movies and commercials and was a lot of fun. The professor showed some unreleased versions of commercials that would have us going along with the wording/jingle and then all of a sudden the actors would be naked.

Being a Blog major, Dr. Coyle was the best as he made it interesting and you never hated going to class. As for the other Blog majors on here, I graduated in May 1982, so maybe we sat through many of the same classes.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT