ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Depressing news on knowledge of the Holocaust

The behavior of Japan during WW2 is also often overlooked. Almost everywhere the Japanese invaded, they abused and murdered the local population with little conscience, a mindset rooted in notions racial superiority. They don't deny it like the Turks, but they haven't been as willing to address it as the Germans, either.

I think Japanese culture has such an inherent quality of shame, they don't want to bring it up out of guilt. I think it is a different mindset than the Turks for sure

It all goes to illustrate how history will continue to repeat itself. The difference is the weapons get bigger and badder. Not just nuclear but also electronic with corrupt agenda driven media, financial controls, location tracking, surveillance, etc. All things that were intended for good but in the wrong hands will be used to control the lemmings.

States are now complicit as well. They no longer teach the English language (spelling/grammar/vocabulary/parts of speech/sentence structure) or classic literature. They've fallen into modern fractured/slang writing and "modern literature" in their place, with an influential, rather than educational slant. My daughters and I were appalled at what they had to endure at both the HS and collegiate levels. They had to 'toe the party line' for grade's sake, though they were well aware (and resentful) of the false premises behind them.

What's worse is the low level of qualification for new public school teachers. Some of my daughters' friends who were very marginal academic performers (at best) in HS and college -- have been hired as teachers back home at the local level.

Incredibly unfortunate for students and parents.
The "level" of applicant is directly proportional to pay. I career changed from $300k at peak to now $63k as an award winning 15th year teacher (yes you read that right). Most of my previous non Retirement savings was used to raise my family and provide basic needs in a region with a $79,000 poverty line for a family of four. Who do you think is going to pay for college to do this job? A low level HVAC Tech in my region beats my earnings after 2-3 years. .any got Vs or lower in my class. A senior Tech who I know doubles my salary. You want top students? Then raise the stakes. And before anyone jumps about summers off and pensions...most teachers today have side businesses and jobs all year round. Pensions are based on your highest 3 years pay averaged. New teachers today in PA have 401ks...my expected salary at 62 was $100k (per the h.r. director that hired me). I'll be lucky to hit $75k. So that won't deliver either. Which top college kids will choose this line of work???? Would you recommend it for yours? I told my kids to major in ANYTHING but Education. It takes a special person to do this job...

Reactions: bison13
So if you dare bring up how your post that contained nothing but on topic historical facts was deleted, that post is also deleted... this site is turning into the Lair.

• Love
Reactions: Ski
So if you dare bring up how your post that contained nothing but on topic historical facts was deleted, that post is also deleted... this site is turning into the Lair.

take a flying leap.

I have ALWAYS deleted posts by someone that complains about a prior post of theirs being deleted.

Most of the time, folks get the message, and stop complaining. You, however, seem to want to belabor the point. Keep it up, and you're heading into timeout territory.

Some posts get deleted because they violate board rules, and never should have been posted. 90% of the other posts that get deleted are deleted because they are responses to a post that got deleted. It's REALLY SIMPLE ... I start at the post that deserves to be deleted, and work down. If I delete the said post, then any post that is a response to that gets deleted. Any post that is a response to a response also gets deleted. So whether your post was "nothing but on topic," is immaterial. If it's a response to something that is deleted, then the thread makes no sense to those that come along later.

I don't ever recall having an issue with you panda, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. That said, stop bitching about the actions of the moderators, or your time on this board will be impacted. Your choice

Reactions: pandaczar12
The "level" of applicant is directly proportional to pay. I career changed from $300k at peak to now $63k as an award winning 15th year teacher (yes you read that right). Most of my previous non Retirement savings was used to raise my family and provide basic needs in a region with a $79,000 poverty line for a family of four. Who do you think is going to pay for college to do this job? A low level HVAC Tech in my region beats my earnings after 2-3 years. .any got Vs or lower in my class. A senior Tech who I know doubles my salary. You want top students? Then raise the stakes. And before anyone jumps about summers off and pensions...most teachers today have side businesses and jobs all year round. Pensions are based on your highest 3 years pay averaged. New teachers today in PA have 401ks...my expected salary at 62 was $100k (per the h.r. director that hired me). I'll be lucky to hit $75k. So that won't deliver either. Which top college kids will choose this line of work???? Would you recommend it for yours? I told my kids to major in ANYTHING but Education. It takes a special person to do this job...

The whole idea of majoring in education is the issue.
Does someone need 4 years with education as a major to teach kids from a textbook?
This is not an insult to teachers.

My roommate was an early ed teacher.
At one point we were both doing presentations.
Mine was on an economic theory that the poverty line is a poor representation of true poverty.
His was a piece of posterboard with a purple dinosaur with googly eyes.

Teachers should be hired from all walks of life and there should be a three month academy to learn the process. Like almost any other profession in the world.
Then you have a 1 year apprenticeship.

LdN

Does someone need 4 years with education as a major to teach kids from a textbook?

Mine was on an economic theory that the poverty line is a poor representation of true poverty.

Teachers should be hired from all walks of life and there should be a three month academy to learn the process. Like almost any other profession in the world.

LdN
Textbooks? I know there are courses with nothing to teach from. Now that is tough. On top of that add the teacher being a first year long term sub and it makes you wonder what the admins goals are for the class.

Textbooks? I know there are courses with nothing to teach from. Now that is tough. On top of that add the teacher being a first year long term sub and it makes you wonder what the admins goals are for the class.

Please let me know a subject where there's no book to teach from.
Amazon has something like 1 million books available.

LdN

Please let me know a subject where there's no book to teach from.
Amazon has something like 1 million books available.

LdN
Lots of books. Not always textbooks for classes. I’m worried about the students end. It’s hard to learn without books to reference to.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
It’s shockingly real, and I didn’t want to believe it, but I just spent two hours on the beach randomly asking young kids ( teens ) about the Holocaust, D-Day, Normandy, Vietnam, Korea and even Pearl Harbor. Sad to say my dog, who unfortunately has to listen to me, is more knowledgeable.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My daughter read it in school last year as an 8th grader. Coincidentally, my wife and I had urged her to read the summer prior.
Surprised to hear this.
Public school would make it even more surprising.

Surprised to hear this.
Public school would make it even more surprising.
It is public - Easton School District. We were surprised as well, though it may have not been required. It may have been an option, like choose any of these 10 books and prepare a presentation type thing. I don't recall exactly.

Reactions: 83wuzme
take a flying leap.

I have ALWAYS deleted posts by someone that complains about a prior post of theirs being deleted.

Most of the time, folks get the message, and stop complaining. You, however, seem to want to belabor the point. Keep it up, and you're heading into timeout territory.

Some posts get deleted because they violate board rules, and never should have been posted. 90% of the other posts that get deleted are deleted because they are responses to a post that got deleted. It's REALLY SIMPLE ... I start at the post that deserves to be deleted, and work down. If I delete the said post, then any post that is a response to that gets deleted. Any post that is a response to a response also gets deleted. So whether your post was "nothing but on topic," is immaterial. If it's a response to something that is deleted, then the thread makes no sense to those that come along later.

I don't ever recall having an issue with you panda, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. That said, stop bitching about the actions of the moderators, or your time on this board will be impacted. Your choice

A good posts disappears for seemingly no reason, of course I want to know why... I am not clairvoyant. Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate that. I've never had a problem with you either, in the decade I've been posting here. That being said, I don't believe anybody is above reproach, regardless of their role. That includes moderators and also me, so if questioning the moderators is against the rules... then I'm willing accept the punishment. I've been thinking about stepping away anyway, and that would just make the decision easy. Either way, there will be no hard feelings.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
It’s shockingly real, and I didn’t want to believe it, but I just spent two hours on the beach randomly asking young kids ( teens ) about the Holocaust, D-Day, Normandy, Vietnam, Korea and even Pearl Harbor. Sad to say my dog, who unfortunately has to listen to me, is more knowledgeable.
Hell, people think John Wayne was a hero

Hell, people think John Wayne was a hero
What type of nonsense are you trying to spread? He was a hero, did you not see Flying Leathernecks, The Sands of Iwo Jima, Back to Bataan, In Harms Way and countless others.

Reactions: Nitt1300

LdN
I agree with the concept and have found that some of our best teachers are career changers. We have a fellow PSU grad who had his own investment company teaching Business, Finance and Entrepreneurship. We have a former auto and software engineer who teachers Physics and runs our award winning Robotics Team, and we have a 12 year DuPont Chemist who teachers Honors and AP Chem. The Education world is very full of jargon and strategies/tactics that make it probably more complicated than it is- however I can tell you that it certainly isn't easy- and if you go the extra mile for your students as I do- it can be very, very time consuming. I teach in my community and willingly accept all of the responsibilities (both good and bad) that go with that. But any sane person who is really bright would likely not want to get involved with the current compensation structure of this industry. It is very much like college sports: The coaches (Administrators) get paid big bucks while the people on the field make a relative pittance. I respect the work that a Superintendent does- but when you have a guy with 1 high school, one middle school, and three elementary schools in SEPA making more than the Super of the Dallas Texas School District something is wrong. In my opinion, there are no "Superstar CEO's" in Education worth 5+ times their 15 year employees. In the end it is about the kids. I love my change- but would only recommend it to people who have their finances in order and are prepared to step back in most facets of the life you once knew. I used to have my own personal shopper at Brooks Brothers on Madison Ave, now I buy 70% off clothes at Peebles (50% off isn't enough of a discount! I'll wait!). To be great it takes all the same commitment and savvy as any other career. However you are always vulnerable to attack from just about anywhere, can expect little to no protection, and not get raises beyond maybe cost of living- so you are a perpetual "rookie." I make $5,000 more than our new hires after 15 years. Ridiculous but true.

It’s one of the defining incidents of the 20th Century, along with Hiroshima and the moon landing, and too many people are ignorant about it. Beyond sad and disturbing.

Wonder how many are aware of Great Leap Fireard
How did we as a country become so ignorant.
Sad and frightening at the same time.
I have always believed that you need an informed and involved citizenry to have a functioning democracy. We have failed. Secular humanism has won.
And if you think we are bad, you should see Europeans. They are taught nothing of history/before 1980! Or China - total brainwashing!

It’s one of the defining incidents of the 20th Century, along with Hiroshima and the moon landing, and too many people are ignorant about it. Beyond sad and disturbing.

Then again, German citizens who lived just blocks from the ovens claimed to be ignorant too.

In fact, the scary thing about Nazi Germany is that the citizens of that country were not innately or uniquely rotten people. On the contrary, they were ordinary. Walked their dogs. Did favors for their neighbors. And so forth.

This points up two key lessons of history to which most people are oblivious: "The line between good and evil runs straight through every human heart" (Alexander Solzhenitsyn); and "The past is not dead...it's not even past" (William Faulkner).

Wonder how many are aware of Great Leap Fireard

And if you think we are bad, you should see Europeans. They are taught nothing of history/before 1980! Or China - total brainwashing!
Not saying you are wrong, but not my experience. Perhaps it varies by country?

On a happier note, I’ve been enjoying these boys for 18 days.
3zDccek.jpg

If you guys think that they don't teach history you should see the lack of geography knowledge in people. I'm not talking about Europe and Russia etc with all the splits in the last 30 years.

At a school that I worked in I would randomly have Jeopardy like trivia contest on the day after a test for kids to earn some extra points. And these aren't the school dummies these are kids taking BC calculus.
Anyhow one day I had a geography question that that said name all of the states that border Maryland. Some of the responses included South Carolina Tennessee Kentucky and my personal favorite the Chesapeake Bay.
One of the other questions I asked was the name 3 state capitals other than Maryland. I think there were six kids out of a class of 30 that got three correct

I was actually going to mention this. The Holocaust and the slaughter of Jews was horrible and needs to be remembered, but at least it was generally well reported. The genocide of Armenians (and Greeks and Assyrians) in the early part of the 20th century in Turkey is virtually ignored in the history books and Turkey denies it to this very day.
Armenian genocide is in our Genocide Project too. Awful stuff.

Spent more than a few years teaching history in New York State. I can assure you that in the 70s and 80s The Holocaust was a part of the curriculum. Later when they repositioned to Global I and Global II, We covered The Holocaust and incidents of genocide throughout history (Stalin and the Kulaks during collectivization, Armenians,Khymer Rouge and Pol Pot etc_)

A few years ago, a granddaughter was assigned by her elementary school teacher to write a paper on Nelson Mandella as part of a "great Americans" series.

I wouldn’t say schools gloss over controversial subjects but they no longer emphasize or demand a hard focus on the details. Real learning happens when a teacher delves into the details, and welcomes questions. However, I wouldn’t be quick to blame teachers, there are other factors that dictates what’s taught in the classroom.

Last edited:
My daughter about 8 years in ago when she was in middle school was sent home a study packet on the current countries of Europe and the capitals. It listed Bonn as the capital of Germany.

How many on this board are aware that Rosh Hashanah begins tonight at sundown? 5781
Don’t be so harsh, that’s a pretty tricky one. Rosh Hashanah is like Thanksgiving the exact date keeps moving from year to year. Set it in stone like January First and we’re all good to go.

Reactions: Nitwit
Our yearly calendars were filled with Lenten crosses, stars of David, Presidents it helped respect the holidays of different faiths, beliefs, and traditions. Those calendars are hard to find anymore.
It's that darn internets... ;) Seriously, it's hard to find paper calendars period. I remember growing up, everyone trying to sell anything gave away calendars.

History is being rewritten. I told my daughters to let me know if they hear from their teachers about blm, 1619 or white privilege.

I wrote a paper on Patton in 9th grade and learned in depth about the holocaust as his troops came upon buchenwald.

Also Eisenhower and Patton took pictures at ohrdruf to make sure people couldn’t deny the holocaust happened. Wow was he right.

Reactions: 91Joe95
History is being rewritten. I told my daughters to let me know if they hear from their teachers about blm, 1619 or white privilege.

I wrote a paper on Patton in 9th grade and learned in depth about the holocaust as his troops came upon buchenwald.

Also Eisenhower and Patton took pictures at ohrdruf to make sure people couldn’t deny the holocaust happened. Wow was he right.
1619, or 1619 project? Just curious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT