ADVERTISEMENT

OT Bad tornados in north central PA tonight

Mount Pocono and Stroudsburg keep your guard up you could be next.... The cell is not giving up or weakening yet
We just got the Tornado Warning notification.
Take cover ...this is no joke ...this cell has produced at least 3 tornados in different places tonight ... mt Pocono and stroudsburg now under tornado warnings
Thanks. I’m a firefighter, so if the shit hits the fan I’ll be out in it. Looks like Mundy St. by the Wyoming Valley Mall really got hammered.

Luzerne Co-Wilkes Barre Twp, Commercial building collapses at Panera Bread and Barnes and Noble

Multiple entrapped and 3 unaccounted for at Panera Bread

Also Smokey Bones, light poles on cars with entrapment.

Multiple vehicles overturned in parking lots

22:22hrs-reports of collapse at Dicks Sporting Goods also

22:25hrs major structural collapse Ashley Furniture

22:41 Luzerne Co Technical Rescue Team activated, Avoca Rescue, Nanticoke and Mountaintop

22:50 once Rescue team is assembled, building searches will commence. Search of Smokey Bones underway

Wilkesbarre township Police report

Report of multiple collapsed buildings area of Mundy Street, drivers are asked to avoid Mundy Street around the Wyoming Valley Mall to allow emergency personal access the area.

Some of the pics coming in are heartbreaking ... Buildings and businesses just demolished with heavy structural damage
The images I saw of the strip mall with Tovan, Panera and Gamestop ... just unreal. So sad. Dick's, B&N, Petsmart. By far the worst disaster to hit the area since 2011 flood.

I'm 13 miles away and there isn't a twig in my yard. It's amazing how centralized these storms can be.
It really is something. I'm from the Greater Pittston area and likewise. Thunder and lightning off in the distance. Persistent rain, but nothing harmful.

I saw some talk about how this area is so unprepared to deal with such a storm. But, really, with it being so unpredictable, how do you prepare? Imagine the people at Tovan and Company, where they're sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory in jewelry. When the manager locked up tonight at 5 or 6, he or she never would have imagined this happening and I'd think that goes for damn near any city. Just a very unfortunate situation.

We had tornado activity last year about 2 miles from our house. Our friends property had trees down everywhere. We had nothing.

It really is something. I'm from the Greater Pittston area and likewise. Thunder and lightning off in the distance. Persistent rain, but nothing harmful.

I saw some talk about how this area is so unprepared to deal with such a storm. But, really, with it being so unpredictable, how do you prepare? Imagine the people at Tovan and Company, where they're sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory in jewelry. When the manager locked up tonight at 5 or 6, he or she never would have imagined this happening and I'd think that goes for damn near any city. Just a very unfortunate situation.
I'm only a bit up the Susquehanna from you, and that tornado last year near Lake Scranton hit close to my work. No one could prepare for this. It seems the storms in the area are getting more severe.

Reactions: SaquonCappelletti
We had tornado activity last year about 2 miles from our house. Our friends property had trees down everywhere. We had nothing.
A colleague at work got hit by that one at Deer Lake. Until recent years, the Lake Carey tornado 20 years ago was the only severe one in the area.

That is right where we live. Deer Lake is where our friend lives.
I have several friends in that area but only one got the brunt of it and was without power for days. It's crazy how close to the path we can be without the damage. I'm thankful again tonight that we're safe and have a roof over our heads. Judging by pictures online, the same can't be said by a lot of folks.

Reactions: rudedude
That's insane. I was watching live when a WNEP reporter on the scene was saying she smelled a strong odor of gas. A fireman approached and they quit filming. What are these idiots thinking??? We smell natural gas but the story is more important? SMH!!!!
Just another reason to wonder why people take the media's opinion seriously, obviously many are not to bright.

On a positive note, appears no fatalities or serious injuries, at least that is good news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT