ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Anyone ever visit any famous movie sights

The movie : The Third Man. Orson Welles.
Popped on by Vienna a few years ago.
Had to see the apartment/steps , where in the dead of night O W was hiding. Then appeared a kitty cat at his feet ,a meowing. Then you see OW's face, in a lighted camera shot, and he's smirking away.

A great movie. Loved that take/shot.

,,,cheers
Been there as well and then went on the Ferris wheel where he made his famous speech about the renaissance and cuckoo clocks!

Reactions: gr82baspartan
Third Man - steps where Harry Lime makes his appearance and Ferris Wheel where he made his speech

Harry Potter movies - took the train on the track to Hogwart’s, platform 9 3/4 quarters in Kings Cross station, woods where Hagrid’s hut was an many other spots.

Skyfall - Glencoe highlands and where the CGI version of his home was.

in the name of the father - Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin

Dark Knight - office building in Hong Kong where he breaks into

Temple of Doom - Macau - building where he jumps out of in first scene

Last Crusade - the treasury in Petra

Terminator 2 - levees in LA

Die Hard - Nakatomi towers

Lord of the Rings - hobbit homes in New Zealand

field of dreams - home and ball field

rocky - stairs and statue

Dirty dancing - lake lure, dance practice in water

Hunger games - multiple locations in Charlotte.

Jaws - Martha’s Vineyard multiple locations

Lawrence of Arabia - Wadi rum desert

Tomb Raider - Angkor Thom in Cambodia

Many other places that have been in many movies, been to over 60 countries.

Last edited:
Or have anywhere they would like to see that’s been featured in a movie, like the house from Home Alone or The Christmas Story etc?

Funny you should ask. I went to California in August and saw as many sites as I could. Saw almost all of the exterior locations (and some interior) for Karate Kid and Back to the Future (and BTTF2), Including Daniel and Marty's houses. Could not get to the main part of Hill Valley where the clock tower was because that was the back lot of universal, but got to the beaches, the dojos, the twin pines mall, etc. Went to Pasadena (gorgeous area, forgot to go to the Rose Bowl) to see Doc Browns' house. Wanted to get to the E.T house, and the locations for Terminator 2, but ran out of time. Went to Griffith Observatory, where they filmed the beginning scene of the Terminator where he takes the thugs clothes. Went to the Santa Monica pier where Forrest Gump ran to. Also, when I was in DC in June, went to where they filmed "The War in VIET F***** NAM!" scene in Forrest Gump on the steps and Forrest saw Jenny in the reflecting pool. Also, in New York at the Ghostbusters library, the Trinity Church in National Treasure, Katz's Deli in When Harry Met Sally. Been to Central Park near where they filmed ELF and Ghostbusters (Walter's apt and Dana's apt) Lastly, the Art Museum in Philadelphia. It's amazing how many people run up the steps constantly.

Reactions: PSU_522
Third Man - steps where Harry Lime makes his appearance and Ferris Wheel where he made his speech

Harry Potter movies - took the train on the track to Hogwart’s, platform 9 3/4 quarters in Kings Cross station, woods where Hagrid’s hut was an many other spots.

Skyfall - Glencoe highlands and where the CGI version of his home was.

in the name of the father - Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin

Dark Knight - office building in Hong Kong where he breaks into

Temple of Doom - Macau - building where he jumps out of in first scene

Last Crusade - the treasury in Petra

Terminator 2 - levees in LA

Die Hard - Nakatomi towers

Lord of the Rings - hobbit homes in New Zealand

field of dreams - home and ball field

rocky - stairs and statue

Dirty dancing - lake lure, dance practice in water

Hunger games - multiple locations in Charlotte.

Jaws - Martha’s Vineyard multiple locations

Lawrence of Arabia - Wadi rum desert

Tomb Raider - Angkor Thom in Cambodia

Many other places that have been in many movies, been to over 60 countries.
Putting aside movies, Kilmainham is one of the most moving places I've ever visited. Just thinking of what happened there after the Easter Rising gave me chills. I think it is often overlooked as an Irish tourist site.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim and zubrus1
Funny you should ask. I went to California in August and saw as many sites as I could. Saw almost all of the exterior locations (and some interior) for Karate Kid and Back to the Future (and BTTF2), Including Daniel and Marty's houses. Could not get to the main part of Hill Valley where the clock tower was because that was the back lot of universal, but got to the beaches, the dojos, the twin pines mall, etc. Went to Pasadena (gorgeous area, forgot to go to the Rose Bowl) to see Doc Browns' house. Wanted to get to the E.T house, and the locations for Terminator 2, but ran out of time. Went to Griffith Observatory, where they filmed the beginning scene of the Terminator where he takes the thugs clothes. Went to the Santa Monica pier where Forrest Gump ran to. Also, when I was in DC in June, went to where they filmed "The War in VIET F***** NAM!" scene in Forrest Gump on the steps and Forrest saw Jenny in the reflecting pool. Also, in New York at the Ghostbusters library, the Trinity Church in National Treasure, Katz's Deli in When Harry Met Sally. Been to Central Park near where they filmed ELF and Ghostbusters (Walter's apt and Dana's apt) Lastly, the Art Museum in Philadelphia. It's amazing how many people run up the steps constantly.
You were actually in Dana’s apartment from Ghostbusters?

Reactions: hlstone
When I lived in Texas my company delivered to the Hollywood set caterer. In Bracketville is the set where they filmed John Wayne's The Alamo. When I was there they were filming Bad Girls with Madeleine Stowe, Andie McDowell, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Drew Barrymore. Got to meet Madeleine (stunning in person), Andie (very quiet), and Robert Loggia (great to talk to). The others I saw in a distance.

Also delivered to the same caterer who did Heaven Help Us (TV Show) in the early 90's. Melinda Clarke was stunning in person

Near where I lived just north of San Antonio is Gruene Hall (oldest dance hall in Texas) that was shut down to film the dance sequence in John Travolta's Michael. Only saw him from the distance.

Also nearby my house was this little roadhouse near Canyon Lake) called Squat & Gobble that was used in a scene in Kevin Costner's A Perfect World (where he and a waitress got friendly). That was done a year before I moved there.

I’m sure a lot of you have been here

The epic opening robot battle in “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” is set against a unique industrial PA backdrop: the former Bethlehem Steel blast furnaces. Today, what was once one of the largest steel producers in America has been transformed into the SteelStacks, a 10-acre campus dedicated to arts, culture, and large-scale events like Musikfest.

Ate dinner at Brutico's in Old Forge, Pa many times. The Irishman wasn't filmed at the location but it's where a lot of business was done according to the book it's based on.

Went to a movie in the theater in Phoenixville Pa. where the movie the Blob was filmed, in the 50s. Scenes from the movie have people running out of theater as the blob comes out. I am pretty sure that theater is long closed.

Last edited:
Drove past the famous "space house" from Woody Allen's "Sleeper" today taking my son to the airport. It overlooks Interstate 70.
Colorado-spaceship-house16.jpg

One day I was up in the Dupont State Forest in western North Carolina using black glass to shoot delayed photos of waterfalls and trout fishing between 1 hour exposures. You're supposed to be out of there by dusk and my last exposure was taking longer due to decreased lighting. My friend who was along with me was getting on my case about leaving and now it was getting downright dark. I finally got my last shot, gathered up my photography equipment and the trout and headed out following a wild trout stream. As we neared the parking lot there was a bright light shining up the stream valley. Here there was a huge flatbed truck with a military grade spotlight. In addition, there were generators and lights and people milling around everywhere. As I got closer, I realized they were filming for a movie. I saw the director and walked over and to my surprise he actually was quite polite. He wouldn't say the name of the movie but just then a young Jennifer Lawrence walked up. Just a kid in jeans and a tee shirt back then. It was a few months later I realized I walked into the filming of the first Hunger Games movie. An eventful day in the gorgeous mountains of North Carolina.

The Dupont and Lake Lure about 27 miles away were also the sites for filming the Last of the Mohicans. Beautiful country for sure.

Not sure if this counts because I technically didn't visit it but both my son's, when they were younger, not only played on the same rink, Olympic Center Ice Rink... now called "Herb Brooks Arena, where Miracle was filmed but was also in used the same locker room as the USA team in Lake Placid NY.

But if your a hockey parent... more then likely you've made this same trip.

Not sure if this counts because I technically didn't visit it but both my son's, when they were younger, not only played on the same rink, Olympic Center Ice Rink... now called "Herb Brooks Arena, where Miracle was filmed but was also in used the same locker room as the USA team in Lake Placid NY.

But if your a hockey parent... more then likely you've made this same trip.

I visited Lake Placid several years ago and toured all the Olympic venues. Went inside the rink and there was a youth hockey game playing. The entire time I was thinking, do these kids ANY idea how lucky they are to play in that building?

I visited Lake Placid several years ago and toured all the Olympic venues. Went inside the rink and there was a youth hockey game playing. The entire time I was thinking, do these kids ANY idea how lucky they are to play in that building?

If those kids are anything like mine... they do! I say that because the standard (when it comes to watching movies) for any long hockey trip (over 2 hours) was to watch the movie "Miracle" to help pass the time. Not kidding... my kids probably have both watched that movie 20x's by the time they were 12. My son's still break it out.

Reactions: hlstone
I don't think anyone has mentioned Chicago's Union Station steps. That is where they filmed the scene in the Untouchables where the baby carriage goes down the stairs.

I went to the High School they used when Ferris Bueller picked up his girlfriend when her grandmother "died". It was Glenbrook North High School in Northbrook, IL and John Hughes has attended the school for a few years.

Naval Training Center San Diego - Volleyball Scene and others when filming for Top Gun was being done.
Bottoms Up Club - Hong Kong - Man with the Golden Gun
Floating Village - Hong Kong - Enter The Dragon
Kao Phing Kong - Thailand - Man with the Golden Gun
San Francisco - Bullit and other movies
Grand Bazar - Istanbul Turkey
And lots of others...

the underwater scene in THE FIRM was filmed at Bonnies Arch in Grand Cayman, I've been to the Arch many times. Plus the scenes at they Hyatt which has since changed name.

Been to a few in the States but internationally I've been to some cool ones: Hobbiton (The Shire) in New Zealand and multiple Game of Thrones (not a movie I know) locations in Spain.

I walked past a bunch of burned out cars near Washington Square Park while they were filming I am Legend. They were parked on the street. I had no idea a movie was being filmed, and they looked absolutely real, so I initially thought there had been a terrorist attack. Then I saw the film crew.

Or have anywhere they would like to see that’s been featured in a movie, like the house from Home Alone or The Christmas Story etc?
Lived in Buffalo and saw the Memorial Stadium being demolished. Field used in the Natural..... every night rode my bike by the ice cream shop where they filmed the reunion.

I walked past a bunch of burned out cars near Washington Square Park while they were filming I am Legend. They were parked on the street. I had no idea a movie was being filmed, and they looked absolutely real, so I initially thought there had been a terrorist attack. Then I saw the film crew.
That’s pretty messed up

Anyone ever walk the train tracks from stand by me?

I was supposed to stop by my first week of work up here, but they were doing road work and we bailed.

I wandered down a random street in San Francisco and saw the diner from So I Married an Axe Murderer, so that was good times.

Alcatraz was a stop on our honeymoon.

Ft Knox where much of "Stripes" was filmed.

The Hyatt on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, where parts of many movies have been shot.

"Public Enemies" shot for 4 days right down the street from my current house. Wife and kids met Johnny Depp.

I often work in Gary and East Chicago, IN, where "Original Gangstas" was shot. Jim Brown, the "Hammer", Fred Williamson, Pam Greer starred.

I grew up not that far from where they filmed a couple of scenes from Kingpin. I know what you're thinking, the Mecca of movie locations but they aren't that exciting.

Yeah I’ve been to a place where thousands of movies were filmed.......Universal Studios in Hollywood. Took the studio tour. LOL

Reactions: 4IUSox2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT