ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever do "Overspeed Training" for golf?

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
I figured WTF and went out and spent $199 on Superspeed Golf. Didn't buy the $299 speed monitor though. Just did my first "protocol". For 5 to 7 minutes of 39 swings total, it was somewhat of a workout.

Will be interesting to see if it works. Also wondering if, in football language, "it will slow the game down" for me. I've never swung too hard as everything else would fall apart (generally, a propensity to come over the top strong.).

I really hope this works out for you. Please post updates from time to time. I need to do something about my swing speed.
It works , but like any program it’s tough to keep committing to it and it progresses to add more every couple weeks. It’s not easy on the back to swing as hard as you can that many times.

It works , but like any program it’s tough to keep committing to it and it progresses to add more every couple weeks. It’s not easy on the back to swing as hard as you can that many times.

Like I said, 39 swings in protocol 1 was plenty. I think the first level is 6 weeks.......... Yeah, it is going to take commitment.

A new study just released, showed that players who made 38 non-dominant side swings 5 days a week for 4 weeks gained an average of 6mph of clubhead speed. The speed training definitely works but the biomechanics of the "newer" full body swing as opposed to old classic reverse C is where the real power in golf is right now.

Does this mean as a right hander I should practice left handed swings?

I've been doing Superspeed training for two years now. It 100% helps increase swing speed. I would definitely recommend a speed monitoring device. Really helps you push your limits when you get data as feedback.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Does this mean as a right hander I should practice left handed swings?

That's part of the protocol. And when you practice it, full speed. Lucky I didn't break something.

Last edited:
I figured WTF and went out and spent $199 on Superspeed Golf. Didn't buy the $299 speed monitor though. Just did my first "protocol". For 5 to 7 minutes of 39 swings total, it was somewhat of a workout.

Will be interesting to see if it works. Also wondering if, in football language, "it will slow the game down" for me. I've never swung too hard as everything else would fall apart (generally, a propensity to come over the top strong.).

golf is for panzies, go find something better to do with your life

golf is for panzies, go find something better to do with your life
What an uninformed statement. I guess Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Stephon Curry, Tom Brady (and from much older days) Jim Brown and Paul Warfield were pansies. Also, go to a public course and call one of the serious golfers a pansy -- he will have you for lunch.

Reactions: m.knox
I've been doing Superspeed training for two years now. It 100% helps increase swing speed. I would definitely recommend a speed monitoring device. Really helps you push your limits when you get data as feedback.
Interesting. I will check it out. Weight training has helped me out a lot. This year (because of not too serious problems with both elbows), physical therapists have been working on small muscles in shoulders. Typically, I get up to full speed in late May or June. This year, I am at June speeds of last year. So would estimate I have gained about 5 or 6 mph.

I happen to be extremely good at golf, but I realized years ago that it was an utterly pointless game.
No one who thinks the game is utterly pointless, becomes extremely good at golf. Made up comment. Your lack of knowledge of the game is illustrated by your laughable comment that golf is for pansies.

No one who thinks the game is utterly pointless, becomes extremely good at golf. Made up comment. Your lack of knowledge of the game is illustrated by your laughable comment that golf is for pansies.

I used to play in golf leagues when I was young and always found the game quite easy and senseless. It's a game for depressed suburbanites

I used to play in golf leagues when I was young and always found the game quite easy and senseless. It's a game for depressed suburbanites
That's really funny. I played a wide variety of sports growing up at a pretty high level. Golf is by far the most skillfully demanding sport and encompasses more athletic traits than most other sports, specifically with regard to body control, balance, power, precision, repetition, rhythm, timing, focus and mental fortitude. To play it well requires things many other sports don't. I can throw a football or baseball to any adult or 4 year old and they can catch it, run and throw it back but if I hand them a golf club and ball they might make a fool of themselves. You also can't rely on the free safety over the top to bail you out when you make a mistake, in golf you own your mistakes all by yourself.

Do you know what your swing speed was before?

I had a gap fitting in 2018. You hit every club in your bag on the trackman, and the fitter finds "the gap" in your bag. He rigged up a 5 wood with a three wood shaft. Sweetest club in my bag. Driver was about 88 mph.

Got the launch monitor yesterday. It really makes a difference. Once you see the number, you naturally challenge yourself. Great call from @PSU0622 . Top speed with the lightest stick was 104 on the very last swing of the protocol. Topped out at 93 with the heavier sticks.

Most importantly, you really learn that speed and power come from your target side. It can be said a million times, but this makes you feel it.

I had a gap fitting in 2018. You hit every club in your bag on the trackman, and the fitter finds "the gap" in your bag. He rigged up a 5 wood with a three wood shaft. Sweetest club in my bag. Driver was about 88 mph.

Got the launch monitor yesterday. It really makes a difference. Once you see the number, you naturally challenge yourself. Great call from @PSU0622 . Top speed with the lightest stick was 104 on the very last swing of the protocol. Topped out at 93 with the heavier sticks.

Most importantly, you really learn that speed and power come from your target side. It can be said a million times, but this makes you feel it.
I started training with a Titlist certified trainer this spring. I am 73 years old, have been golfing for 11 years and have a 15 handicap. I had Aortic valve replacement November 30, 2020 and had to take 4 months off from any physical activity. In March 2021 I started recovering in the gym and I can now bench 205 lb., squat the same. However, I was using the machines. I also was doing some stretching exercises.
When I was evaluated for the Titlist program I scored pretty low. I was surprised and disappointed until I read the fine print and found that I was being compared to tour players.
The trainer has given me some balancing exercises and tough stretching exercises, and most importantly, he is getting me off the machines into free weights. More muscles involved in free weights and they help with balance.
Too early in the season to tell for sure, but I have added about 12 yards per iron. I think that getting all the segments of the body loose and strong is the best way to increase swing speed. Without the flexibility you can really damage parts of the body, particularly the back.

Reactions: dailybuck777

I actually started "fitgolf" this year. After no gym last year due to covid, I went from a 6 to a 10 handicap and hit it like crap. They evaluate and help me workout smarter and more golf specific. Curious to see if I get some of my distance back that I lost last year.

Reactions: m.knox
I started training with a Titlist certified trainer this spring. I am 73 years old, have been golfing for 11 years and have a 15 handicap. I had Aortic valve replacement November 30, 2020 and had to take 4 months off from any physical activity. In March 2021 I started recovering in the gym and I can now bench 205 lb., squat the same. However, I was using the machines. I also was doing some stretching exercises.
When I was evaluated for the Titlist program I scored pretty low. I was surprised and disappointed until I read the fine print and found that I was being compared to tour players.
The trainer has given me some balancing exercises and tough stretching exercises, and most importantly, he is getting me off the machines into free weights. More muscles involved in free weights and they help with balance.
Too early in the season to tell for sure, but I have added about 12 yards per iron. I think that getting all the segments of the body loose and strong is the best way to increase swing speed. Without the flexibility you can really damage parts of the body, particularly the back.

73 and benching 205 (machine or no machine). Kudos to you! Keep up the good work.

(once dated a nice gal from Parkland while at PSU.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT