ADVERTISEMENT

OT: any recommended Medical Alert Systems?

Shrubber

Oct 31, 2001
Does Anyone have experience in getting a family member set up with a medical alert system?
The Brands you see listed for ex/ are life alert, medical alert, bay, medical guarduan, etc.
Any experience on which brands work and which don't?
Probably want for use at home and on the go,
Definitely want fall detection,
Should we get a landline or cellphone system?
Thanks.

My mother had one and I didn’t like it. First, it was expensive.....over 300 every year. She had a pendulum she wore around her neck. If you hit the button, first it would send out an alarm so you could shut it off at the base if accidentally activated. It would call the company and someone would call back to check if all is ok. If no one answered they would call 911. Had it several years and never used it once other than occasional tests as recommended. She did accidentally bump the button a couple times and nearly fell try to get to the base to turn it off.

My aunt had a better system she got at Radio Shack. It was a phone made by V-tech that had a hand held portable phone plus a pendulum to wear around the neck. You could program in two numbers for her to call if needed. She had no children so the first number was my cell and the others was my sister’s cell in case I didn’t answer right away. You could put in any number, even 911 but be wary of accidental calls resulting in police, fire, and/or EMTS showing up!

Another advantage of it was she could use it to answer calls and talk with it. That meant she didn’t risk falling by reaching for the phone or moving too quickly to answer a call. Pretty handy for her. And it recharged by placing a dock like the hand held unit so it was easy to recharge. Worked within a reasonable distance of base so she could go outside and it still worked.

It was made by V-Tech but don’t know if it or something similar is available. It only cost less than $200 and worked for over ten years. Great tool and great value.

Yo @Shrubber , you still around?

Couple more thoughts. You said you wanted fall protection. Do mean a pendulum one can wear and call with? This has that. But the video shown in the link makes it look like the pendulum is an add on so make sure you add that to the order if it’s what you want.

Or looking for a sensor that sense a fall and calls automatically? Don’t think it works that way.

Also, pretty sure this one would require a landline which most elderly have anyway. But if that needs added on it certainly increases the cost.

Thank you very much for the replies. Her neighbor just got her set up with one... Medical Alert. Youre right,, it was over $300/ yr . We'll look the Vtech system over in case this one doesn't meet her needs. I'll forward the link and your feedback so they can keep researching the best system.. . Much appreciated.

tumblr_mrdnrfXuix1soeu02o1_400.gif

fail-help.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT