ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any old school NASCAR fans here?

With dopey technical rules, today’s spec-car racing strategy has evolved into: don’t race hard for the first 450miles (hence the stupid four quarter/segment gimmick adopted a few years back) ...

Those empty grandstands I noticed last weekend say it all...

I wasn't a big fan of stage racing until my son explained it to me in detail. I'm still not 100% sold on it, but I like it more than this goofy playoff system they are shoving down fans throats.

You’re criticizing Gordon for being a nice looking guy? He’s also short. You failed to mention that. But, do you think he’d have been any less of a driver/winner had he been racing in 1959? Winners win with the equipment provided.

Yes I do. In ‘59 cars didn’t have power steering. It wasn’t easy for drivers to handle those cars. I doubt someone of Gordon’s stature would have been able to do it successfully for 500 miles.

Seems like the Stewart incident really put the nail in it. Used to see NASCAR stuff everywhere; can’t recall the last commercial or ad for or involving a race or personality.

Stewart incident? Are you talking about that dirt track accident?

I don't see what a bizarre accident at a dirt track would have to do with NASCAR, but I don't really follow much. My dad watches, so I do watch with him when I'm at their house. I think having too many cookie cutter tracks and fewer of the traditional tracks has more to do with it than any one incident (not even related to a NASCAR race).

Yes I do. In ‘59 cars didn’t have power steering. It wasn’t easy for drivers to handle those cars. I doubt someone of Gordon’s stature would have been able to do it successfully for 500 miles.

Ummmm... Have you ever driven a car not equipped with power steering?

In a 500mi race - i figure the benefit of having power steering would be realized for about a mile... getting from the paddock to the track

The benefits of power-assisted steering manifest themselves mainly at very low speeds... i speculate this was added when safety protocols mashed drivers right up close to the steering wheels, making it extremely difficult to apply leverage on the till at low speeds ...

Breaking news: the first driver to use power steering? DE3... must have been a real pussy

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ummmm... Have you ever driven a car not equipped with power steering?

In a 500mi race - i figure the benefit of having power steering would be realized for about a mile... getting from the paddock to the track

The benefits of power-assisted steering manifest themselves mainly at very low speeds... i speculate this was added when safety protocols mashed drivers right up close to the steering wheels, making it extremely difficult to apply leverage on the till at low speeds ...

Breaking news: the first driver to use power steering? DE3... must have been a real pussy

Driving a stock car 200 mph is way different than driving a Honda Accord on the highway. They weigh almost twice as much. The tires are designed to give way more bite too. Even with power steering they are a bear to drive. Have you watched the cockpit cams showing how much movement there is on the steering wheel?

Earnhardt won his first couple races with power steering and everyone joined him.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
In 9th grade, I got into a fight with a Yarbrough fan!!! Being a Richard Petty fan, I had to defend the KING's honor!!

True story.
If only you had the intel that Jr. gave us in the original post you could have burned that kid without fisticuffs.

Driving a stock car 200 mph is way different than driving a Honda Accord on the highway. They weigh almost twice as much. The tires are designed to give way more bite too. Even with power steering they are a bear to drive. Have you watched the cockpit cams showing how much movement there is on the steering wheel?

Earnhardt won his first couple races with power steering and everyone joined him.

Do you enjoy making shit up?

Fun facts:

Gen6 NASCAR curb weight = 3,200lbs

2018 Honda Accord = 3,362lbs​

Heavy wheels and tires, while tremendously stubborn and cumbersome at rest, respond well to momentum and velocity... alas, makes life a lot easier...

Indeed, I’ve seen plenty of in car footage... At 160+ mph the slop/play in the steering is exaggerated ... i posted footage on this board within the past 5 mos of Derek Bell in a Porsche 962 running LeMans and the pilots’ hands are rowing the wheel like crazy on the Mulsannes straight... it’s just what happens at 200mph

As one who has run a Formula Vee at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock in SCCA ( Vee cars do not feature power anything) ... believe me when i tell you steering inputs/corrections are much much easier at speed, no different than any other roadcar, gokart, golf cart, or lawn tractor

Ah, for the good old days:
9fa4e913bbf4bf437a4cec6ff9e7e622.jpg

NASCAR destroyed the sport when the screwed their southern fan base. They closed track after track in the south to move to big markets. The southerns turned their back on them after that. They need to go back to the small tracks in the south, remove restrictor plates, and kill the cookie cutter car.

I agree with this. The sport, literally, sold its soul. No more North Wilkesboro. Darlington is but once a year.

The sport took its base for granted.

Do you enjoy making shit up?

Fun facts:

Gen6 NASCAR curb weight = 3,200lbs

2018 Honda Accord = 3,362lbs

I meant the old cars from 1959 that weighed close to 5,000 pounds. But whatever. This isn’t an argument worth continuing for me. Im more interested in who committed last night.

Haven't most sports changed their format for how they determine their champion? Not sure why Nascar shouldn't as well. The stage racing has added a bunch of various strategies to every race. My complaints reside with tires that don't wear out and cars that are too aero dependent.

The stupid "playoff" format is a ridiculous process used to crown a season champion. Jeff Gordon would have seven titles under the old points system. I may watch a race if I have nothing else to do but I watch to see wrecks (hoping for no injuries) and then the aftermath in which the drama queens whine about the other guys.

You're nuts...the playoff system is saving NASCAR TV viewership since the fans do not pack the seats like they used to. At first I did not like it, but I think it's great now.....in the old days Gordon or Earnhardt or Johnson would have such a big points lead that the last few races didn't even matter....now they all do...before becoming teacher I used to cover a lot of the old races as a reporter utilizing my PSU degree in broadcast journalism...loved the old days...but the races today are still exciting even though there are not as many fights as back then...

I saw this live in 1992. We were camped out near the tunnel turn. Couldn’t believe he walked away.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pYxb5eJiBU
I

I was there in 2002 when Steve Park had a bad crash in almost the same spot. I was working the clubs on the inside of the track that day and got a close up his car after they towed it back. A big thunderstorm went over the track about 10:00 that morning and the grass was soaked.

Ah, for the good old days:
9fa4e913bbf4bf437a4cec6ff9e7e622.jpg

That #21 is a classic. Growing up I was a huge fan of Richard Petty. I was 11 years old in 1976 when I watched Pearson wreck Petty and steal the Daytona 500. I hated Pearson for a long time after that. Eventually I grew up and realized it was just two guys driving their asses off to win the biggest race of the season. Pearson was one tough dude. Imagine what his career stats would be if he entered as many races as Petty had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT