ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Amazing video of NYC from 1911

The most bizarre observation for me was all the street traffic. Cars, trolleys, horses, and pedestrians all going at once in the streets. Hard to believe there weren't many serious injuries.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
The most bizarre observation for me was all the street traffic. Cars, trolleys, horses, and pedestrians all going at once in the streets. Hard to believe there weren't many serious injuries.
Way slower speeds, however.

There were a lot of injuries and deaths, both by car passengers and pedestrians

thanks but I can't get my code correct. I looked up what to write and I thought I did it the same, so it would come out as your like this above, but obviously something failed. Can you check my code? its in the my first link. TIA
Yeah, I know nothing (maybe less) about code. I just use the link icon in the reply toolbar. Sorry.

Always wanted to know what it was like when my mother was born
in the Bronx in 1905 and what she saw as a little girl. My grandfather
was Chief of Fire Prevention in NYC, using horse drawn fire trucks.
Any fire over three stories burnt to the ground. He never accepted a
bribe but his three daughters always had great seats at the Broadway
shows. She was there for the opening of Radio City Music Hall and
had a better seat than Amelia Earhart. Thank you!!!

Excellent. Thanks for posting. Notice that virtually every man has on a jacket and tie and of course topped with a hat. The woman are all in long fancy dresses. Other than that it's the same busy city.
That's the most incredible part to me. Even in old photographs at the beach, you see the same thing.

At the 4:39 point in the footage, you will observe three very different modes of transportation trying to navigate the streets (and each other)
  • Horse-drawn carriage
  • Gasoline-driven motorcar
  • Electricity-driven street car
That had to be an interesting, but confusing, time when technology was clearly outpacing regulations.

People were a bit less concerned about safety back in the early 1900s. Here is a photo of a typical child's playground!

playgrounds_in_1900_10.jpg

Reactions: grinagrin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT