ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Amazing video of NYC from 1911

Very cool. Wonder if the cinematographer knew if it would be significant 100 years later, let alone how long it will now exist in digital form...

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Excellent. Thanks for posting. Notice that virtually every man has on a jacket and tie and of course topped with a hat. The woman are all in long fancy dresses. Other than that it's the same busy city.

Excellent. Thanks for posting. Notice that virtually every man has on a jacket and tie and of course topped with a hat. The woman are all in long fancy dresses. Other than that it's the same busy city.
Very cool video. Lots of pipe smoking too, must have been standard along with the suit and tie. Didnt see any shorts, jeans, T-shirts, etc. Makes me wonder what itll be like in another 100 years. I bet the folks in 1911 could have never imagined what 2018 would be like.

Very cool video. Lots of pipe smoking too, must have been standard along with the suit and tie. Didnt see any shorts, jeans, T-shirts, etc. Makes me wonder what itll be like in another 100 years. I bet the folks in 1911 could have never imagined what 2018 would be like.
No mobile phones. I was just there standing on some of those corners. Amazing technology a mass transportation. Funny to see China Town

One has to ask, with limited resources, why hats? Also noticed the poor cut off most suits and the wrinkles.

There is a hotel in Manhattan, somewhere in the 50's between 7th and 8th Ave, that has a car from this era located on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. It is pretty cool to see.

And unsanitary. It's not a time when everyone took regular baths or practiced good hygiene.
not to mention the horse crap

horse-crap.gif

I watched this closely and noticed that out of hundreds of people only one was fat and he was limping with a cane. People walked faster than they do today. Long, lanky strides. People seemed to care about how they looked. Men with suits, women with dresses. Most people wore hats. No jeans and tee shirts! Air appeared to be dirty with smoke stacks everywhere. Interesting contrast to today.

I was bathed in a sink, against my will, for a good portion of the late 1960's, I will have you know.

From what I recall, the dishes were not always removed either.
Sitting or standing in a washtub in the 50s for me.

I watched this closely and noticed that out of hundreds of people only one was fat and he was limping with a cane. People walked faster than they do today. Long, lanky strides. People seemed to care about how they looked. Men with suits, women with dresses. Most people wore hats. No jeans and tee shirts! Air appeared to be dirty with smoke stacks everywhere. Interesting contrast to today.
Agree...but you'll also notice you don't see many people over the age of, say, 45.

Not sure about the walking faster... you're probably right since they walked more than today, but with the old videos you really have to play with the speed to get it close to being correct. I was actually expecting the streets to be more crowded than they were...

Reactions: 91Joe95
What I found interesting was that the streets were such a free for all. Streetcars going down the center of the road, cars being cut off by horse-and-buggies, people crossing the street anywhere they chose. There must have been tons of accidents and such.

Reactions: RandyL
No mobile phones. I was just there standing on some of those corners. Amazing technology a mass transportation. Funny to see China Town

One has to ask, with limited resources, why hats? Also noticed the poor cut off most suits and the wrinkles.
The custom until jfk came along.

Reactions: Cosmos
Certainly. Look at ball players from the first half of the century and you’ll see the same thing.
Yes. I'm not claiming to be an expert on all things Honus Wagner, but it's my understanding that he was one of the few players back in the day who lifted weights; I'm sure that this had something to do with his being the best player back then.

Last edited:
they are skinny because most people didn't each much. remember that back then didn't have much in the way of refrigeration. i remember hearing an interview back in the early 2000's from a women who was born in 1899, they interviewed her as she was obviously over 100 years old and one of the only remaining people alive born in the 19th century. they asked her what was the biggest difference between when she grew up and now-a-days, the interviewer mentioning computers, TV, cars, etc...she very quickly said food. Said that when she was growing up, she was constantly hungry as with the size of her family there was never enough food to eat. Talked about how many times dinner was bread and some bacon gravy and it wasn't all you could eat, she talked about how most nights she went to bed and was still hungry. Said that she doesn't think much of anybody knows what it was like to really be hungry and not know if you were going to be able to eat that night.

thanks for sharing. If you like this old, vintage stuff, I found this documentary fascinating. It is a little newer in time, but still the work she did was great!!
the link can be found <a href="http://findingvivianmaier.com/">here</a> for the trailer
help me out , I am trying to learn how to embed the code so it would say, the link can be found here for the trailer, but I have done something wrong!! TIA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT