ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Advice on travel to Israel

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I would like to travel to Israel next spring and I'm looking for some tips about how to plan the trip. I don't really want to sign up for a several day tour and would rather stay in a few nice hotels and book individual day tours as we see fit. I am looking for some recommendations of places to stay, what to see, and how we should best make arrangements for independent sightseeing. Thank you to the all knowing board for the suggestions that might follow.

Jerusalem and Tel Aviv info should be easy to find.

I recommend two nights way up near the Lebanon border at Kibbutz Hagoshrim's hotel. A good day trip is to the grottos at Rosh Hanikra on the Mediterranean. If it's bird migration season,, Hula Lake has the largest variety in the world (big sea to the west and desert to the east, so they all fly down the narrow strip of land In between.) If you go to the lake, rent a bicycle.

Eilat is good for water sports, but it's a long trip down, and you could pretty much get the same thing on the beaches of Tel Aviv.

Wherever you stay, all the big hotels offer "full Israeli breakfasts." They're outstanding.

I haven't been there, but if your schedule allows, you may want to arrange a trip into Jordan to visit Petra.

I would like to travel to Israel next spring and I'm looking for some tips about how to plan the trip. I don't really want to sign up for a several day tour and would rather stay in a few nice hotels and book individual day tours as we see fit. I am looking for some recommendations of places to stay, what to see, and how we should best make arrangements for independent sightseeing. Thank you to the all knowing board for the suggestions that might follow.

Lots of options. First, you don't have to sign up for a group tour. You can do a lot of things on your own and it's easy to book individual day tours while you're there (just ask the hotel concierge or front desk).

Probably best to start with what you would like to do or prefer. How many days do you plan to spend? Large or small (fifteen units or less) hotel? Price range for lodging? Sites/lplaces that for you are absolute musts or high on your list.

We traveled with a tour group in 2014 so I can't give you much independent advice. I thought Tiberias on the Sea of Galilee was a great base for travel to the sites up north like Capernaum , Dan, Mount of the Beatitudes,and Nazareth. I think Masada, Ein Gedi , and Qumran are must sees. You can probably do those 3 in one day. Then, definitely spend a night on the Dead Sea. We spent 4 nights in Jerusalem but probably 3 are enough. Mt of Olives view is impressive as is Golgotha. The Holocaust museum was worthwhile. I didn't like Bethlehem, hassle to get through security. I can't sing "O little Town of Bethlehem" anymore because the experience ruined it for me. We went to Jordan and Petra and loved them too. I probably wouldn't try them again either because of the hassles involved. On a side note, my ATM card had expired so I wasn't able to get any Shekels at the airport. No problem, the USD was accepted most everywhere (change given in Shekels or Jordanian Dinars though). Try the Schwarma and Falafel. We had a great time but I think the US media overblows all the security problems a little bit. Exercise caution just like anywhere else in the world and you should be okay.

Hmmm...Nothing really to suggest. Enjoy your trip. If you have the time, though, tell God that Mack Daddy says, "Hello."

Don't dress like a Nazi.
Just read where some stupid drunk American tourist, a guy in his 40s, got beaten up by a civilian for giving a Nazi salute outside a bar in Germany. Apparently it's illegal to display any Nazi symbols over there. Maybe we could learn something from them. On a more practical note, I would like to go to the Holocost Museum in Israel. Some of the older posters here might remember the original Exodus film about the founding of the country in 1948 and the refugees at that time from Europe who were on a boat and looking to settle in the Holy Land. It was a very movIng film. Now I understand Israel is a "Mecca", no pun intended, for high tech companies and innovation, and the beach cities are very cosmopolitan. So many contrasts there in a very small county. I'm anxious to finally get a chance to see it. Again any practical suggestions from those who've visited about hotels and restaurants and tours are appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT