ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 9 ways for a batter at bat to reach 1st base?

Walk
Intentional walk
Hit by pitch
Strike out (passed ball or wild pitch)
Catcher’s interference
Fan interference
Error
Ground rule double
Fielder’s choice

&

A Big (2)(12) umpire fxxking up

Hit
Error
Catcher interference
Walk
Hit by pitch
Fielders choice
Dropped third strike
Fielder interference
Base runner interference/batted ball hits runner

Base hit
Base on balls
Hit by pitch
Catcher's interference
Fielder's choice
Error
Dropped 3rd strike (passed ball or wild pitch)
Fielder interference
Batted ball hits another runner

1. Single
2. Error
3. BB
4. Dropped 3rd strike
5. FC
6. Catcher Interference
7. HBP
8. Obstruction
9. Interference (baserunner)

1 base hit
2 BB
3 Error
4 K, passed ball
5 HBP
6 Catchers interference
7 Fielders interference
8 Fielders choice
9 Runner struck by batters hit. Runner is out/batter awarded 1B.

Base hit
Base on balls
Hit by pitch
Catcher's interference
Fielder's choice
Error
Dropped 3rd strike (passed ball or wild pitch)
Fielder interference
Batted ball hits another runner

Fielder interference isn't a thing ... it's Obstruction.

1 base hit
2 BB
3 Error
4 K, passed ball
5 HBP
6 Catchers interference
7 Fielders interference
8 Fielders choice
9 Runner struck by batters hit. Runner is out/batter awarded 1B.

Funny thing about #9 that came up this summer ... if the ball makes it past a fielder (not the catcher) and then hits a runner, there's no interference by the baserunner and the play continues as if there was no infraction. So, a 1B playing in, in front of the runner, and the ball is scorched past him and nails the runner ... ball is live and the play continues.

Batted ball hits a runner is a hit.

Edit: appears it doesn't matter for this.

Last edited:
You have to add a reason now if you say 1st OR 2nd base... Silly Extra inning rule....

You have to add a reason now if you say 1st OR 2nd base... Silly Extra inning rule....

I don't know how the new rule works but is it that the first batter up goes to 2nd base? If so, the batter is getting on base but if the team designates a runner to go to 2nd base and the guy scheduled to bat still goes to bat, then it's not the batter going to 2nd base.

I don't know how the new rule works but is it that the first batter up goes to 2nd base? If so, the batter is getting on base but if the team designates a runner to go to 2nd base and the guy scheduled to bat still goes to bat, then it's not the batter going to 2nd base.
it is the last batter who completes an at bat from previous inning who goes to 2nd base

it is the last batter who completes an at bat from previous inning who goes to 2nd base

So it's not the current batter that goes to 2nd base and thus I don't think it qualifies for the list in this thread.

If the baserunner is hit by the ball and called out (not always the case), I believe the batter is credited with a single. Isn't this the same as a hit?

I think obstruction (what many call fielder interference) is the 9th way to reach base.

We're slicing this pretty thinly.

An earned hit is a single, double, triple, or home run. Ground rules can play a role, like the ground rule double that prevents what would have been a triple, or a ball that hits the roof of a domed stadium and is still in play.

An awarded hit is as a result of interference, like when a runner is struck by a fair ball, or when the batter in running up the first base line, within the 3-foot wide running lane, and gets interfered with by a fielder.

All are hits, but not all are the same kind of hits.

If the baserunner is hit by the ball and called out (not always the case), I believe the batter is credited with a single. Isn't this the same as a hit?

I think obstruction (what many call fielder interference) is the 9th way to reach base.

How about this one?
Saw it at a country softball game.

Batter hits a blooper into the left field corner... and a PIG chases and eats the ball!

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT