ADVERTISEMENT

OSU's offense

okinburg1

Nov 19, 2004
has put up a lot of points but looking at it more closely I think there are a couple things that bode well for PSU.

First, here are their rushing stats thus far - against Oregon St they had 375 yards and a 7.1 yd/carry average; against Rutgers 225/5.6, TCU 182/4.3 and Tulane 151/4. So their total yards and ypc have been declining and their competition hasn't been all that great (see TCU losing to Texas this past weekend). I don't think their O-line is stellar and one good friend of mine who is a huge OSU fan cannot wait for Isaiah Prince (#59) to graduate. He was a huge liability for them 2 years ago at Beaver Stadium and apparently hasn't improved much, if at all, since then. Long story short, I think our D-line will hold up pretty well against their O-line in the run game.

Second, their QB has put up ridiculous numbers but, again, their competition hasn't been great. He is also making his 5th career start and essentially his first away from the Horseshoe. I have to believe that a Sat night Whiteout crowd might be able to rattle a RS soph on the road.

Finally, I wholeheartedly agree with many others here that the loss of Nick Bosa is a huge blow to their D. Undoubtedly they have great depth but you just don't replace a guy who, per the experts, was looking like he might be the top defensive player taken in the draft next spring.

Too early in the week for predictions, BUT, I see the following:

PSU O vs OSU D - advantage PSU
PSU D vs OSU O - slight advantage OSU?
special teams - even? (Gillikin>OSU's P but Pinegar<OSU's kicker who is a RS Sr)
coaching - even
intangibles - advantage PSU (home Whiteout crowd!!!)

Can Saturday get here already?!?!?!?!?!?!

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
has put up a lot of points but looking at it more closely I think there are a couple things that bode well for PSU.

First, here are their rushing stats thus far - against Oregon St they had 375 yards and a 7.1 yd/carry average; against Rutgers 225/5.6, TCU 182/4.3 and Tulane 151/4. So their total yards and ypc have been declining and their competition hasn't been all that great (see TCU losing to Texas this past weekend). I don't think their O-line is stellar and one good friend of mine who is a huge OSU fan cannot wait for Isaiah Prince (#59) to graduate. He was a huge liability for them 2 years ago at Beaver Stadium and apparently hasn't improved much, if at all, since then. Long story short, I think our D-line will hold up pretty well against their O-line in the run game.

Second, their QB has put up ridiculous numbers but, again, their competition hasn't been great. He is also making his 5th career start and essentially his first away from the Horseshoe. I have to believe that a Sat night Whiteout crowd might be able to rattle a RS soph on the road.

Finally, I wholeheartedly agree with many others here that the loss of Nick Bosa is a huge blow to their D. Undoubtedly they have great depth but you just don't replace a guy who, per the experts, was looking like he might be the top defensive player taken in the draft next spring.

special teams - even? (Gillikin>OSU's P but Pinegar<OSU's kicker who is a RS Sr)
coaching - even

The kicking game mishaps have me concerned. Based on how tight the last two games were we need to be able to make field goals. We can't give them great starting field position kicking the ball out of bounds either. Can we get big toe back for kick offs?

Reactions: JJTopp99
The second best team either of us has played is Ap. Sate. Neither team can can tell much about the other based on games played so far.

I am hoping that possible FG issues leads us to go for it. I feel much better with the ball in Trace's hands than trying to kick field goals.

2 Highest scoring teams in the country. I think both teams will move the ball at will. Who can get a few turnovers and stop the offense with a single play?

coaching - even

coaching - even

OSU D is still pretty stout even without Bosa since they still have Chase Young who is a stud at DE and could cause us big problems. Landers and Jones at DT have given our OL big time problems in the past, and they are still there this year. The only difference is our OL is much better and we are handing the ball off to Sanders in the backfield rather than completely stopped at the LOS. That was a total disaster against the Buckeyes in the past.

Our D is a real concern after watching Illinois move the ball effectively with our DT's and LB's being man handled in the first half. App State, Pitt, and Kent State also moved the ball against us in the first half. This can't happen against OSU since we will not be able to make up lost ground like we have done many times prior.

OSU's run game between the tackles is what we have to practice in order to be ready this Sat. Also, the flat passes and/or bubble screens they run will cause this defense fits.

One area I think Penn State could have an advantage on is the kick return. Ohio State will score (reality). Tulane's kick returner fair caught a couple kicks at the 2 yard line and had another return. If Hamler can get a couple KO returns, it will help Penn State w field position.

One more thing we have to work on: "Pass Rush" hopefully the return of Simmons will help out. Illinois had a lot of time Friday night.

I think Menet will have trouble with their DTs. Possibly McGovern too. OSU will stunt and blitz. Some plays we send everybody down field, but the key will be for Trace to have outlets. They can stop us that way whereas I don't see the same capability on our defensive front. I liked the quick middle routes that Rahne scripted in the first series against Illinois. That is the stuff that could slow OSU's defensive front and loosen up their linebackers.

For the record, the OSU-TCU game was not played at the Shoe. It was in Arlington (Dallas-Fort Worth). Don't know why people keep inferring that it was an OSU home game. This isn't the first hostile crowd that Haskins will see.

Haskins is accurate and we don't match up well in zone coverage. Our defensive secondary was supposed to be a team strength. I think it has been pedestrian against some weak teams, and now is further weakened by injury. Neither 29 nor 38 are ready, and 4 is a step slow. If we play man coverage it will put more pressure on our LBs to make tackles.

OSU will go to spread formations and force PSU to make 1-on-1 tackles. We haven't demonstrated that we can tackle consistently, so I'd expect OSU to get some big plays without even throwing it downfield. Nevertheless, they will throw it down field.

Last edited:
You must get pressure on Haskins or he will pick you apart with his strong and accurate arm. The kid can flat-out sling it.

I see Pry bringing the house on most plays and leaving the corners out 1v1 - if they run it we'll need the extra support in the box, if they throw it we'll need blitzing LBers to help provide pressure.

Haskins ain't running it - if he's uncomfortable in the pocket all night I feel a bit better about a possible upset. I think we can also commit to attacking the RB every time in the read option.

I think Menet will have trouble with their DTs. Possibly McGovern too. OSU will stunt and blitz. Some plays we send everybody down field, but the key will be for Trace to have outlets. They can stop us that way whereas I don't see the same capability on our defensive front. I liked the quick middle routes that Rahne scripted in the first series against Illinois. That is the stuff that could slow OSU's defensive front and loosen up their linebackers.

For the record, the OSU-TCU game was not played at the Shoe. It was in Arlington (Dallas-Fort Worth). Don't know why people keep inferring that it was an OSU home game. This isn't the first hostile crowd that Haskins will see.

Haskins is accurate and we don't match up well in zone coverage. Our defensive secondary was supposed to be a team strength. I think it has been pedestrian against some weak teams, and now is further weakened by injury. Neither 29 nor 38 are ready, and 4 is a step slow. If we play man coverage it will put more pressure on our LBs to make tackles.

OSU will go to spread formations and force PSU to make 1-on-1 tackles. We haven't demonstrated that we can tackle consistently, so I'd expect OSU to get some big plays without even throwing it downfield. Nevertheless, they will throw it down field.
While the TCU game was in Texas, many have said the majority of fans attending were OSU fans. So, this will be the first test in a hostile environment.

coaching - even

What gives you any confidence about our DL or D, in general?

Absolutely correct that the TCU game was in Arlington, which is obviously a long way from Columbus, but from what I've read the crowd was maybe 60/40 TCU/OSU, so I'm fairly certain this Saturday night will be less welcoming than the group at Cowboys Stadium.

No one has said the game was in the Shoe. They say this will be his first hostile environment Because as has been reported by just about everyone it was 70% OSU fans for the TCU game

No one has said the game was in the Shoe. They say this will be his first hostile environment Because as has been reported by just about everyone it was 70% OSU fans for the TCU game

Correct, the game in Dallas at ATT was mostly our fans, prob 2-1 at least. However, he did replace JT after he was injured in Ann Arbor last year midway through the 3rd quarter behind 14-20, obviously with the game, a shot at the B1G championship and possible play-off berth on the line. He showed great poise in that situation in a very hostile environment making plays with his arm AND his legs and helped lead his team to a big win.

I expect the environment in State College will be another great test for this kid. He has passed them all with flying colors thus far. I fully expect some youthful mistakes but I also expect him to play well. I'm not quite ready to anoint him as the greatest of the greatest, but he can play.....if you don't get pressure on this kid, he is capable of very big game.

Looking forward to another great match-up. Best of luck to your Nits!

Reactions: Aloha T
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT