ADVERTISEMENT

OSU win Flukey

Much like PSU did everything they could in the first half last year to give you the game, but came back and won through dominant DLine play, yet it was still called a fluke.
I think what you guys misunderstand is that winning the game off of a blocked field goal returned for a TD is highly unusual. It's not play that gets executed very often. So I think since that was the final score you made to go ahead to win for the most part the Offense for OSU even though they struggled outscored your offense. And the Defense held your team to less points for the most part. Until the whacky FG block.

In this case OSU's offense put up more points and their defense just man handled your Heisman tailback for the entire game except a kick off return and and one run. Other than that Barkely was a non factor the entire game. That wasn't a fluke. And 13 for 13 passing in the 4th quarter, 33/39 over all, and 95 years rushing by JT was not a fluke either. That was just being the better team that day.

And it's highly unlikely to gain two points by having a center hiking the ball over a punters head and into the end zone, last year. Plus OSU blocked a PSU field goal but didn't return it. Yet all I heard in North Central Ohio after the game was that we won on a fluke play! Universally heard that. And that is why this thread is ongoing, due to last years buckeye cry that our win was a fluke and why a fluke is being called at OSU this year as a returned favor. Both wins were wins, not by fluke. obnoxious fans cry fluke last year and it is remembered like many other insults, they stick in your mind and are returned in the future.

Reactions: Howie'81
"If a conference isn't capable of determining who it's best team is, what good is the conference?"

Exactly. In terms of the top 4, it means nothing. As far as I know, no conference has rules that state that the conference winner should be considered the top team for the purposes of the CFP. That being the case, the committee is free to give it whatever weight (or no weight) that it wishes. Conference championship games are significant in one respect -- they give a borderline team a chance to improve their standing with the committee by playing another game.

Conference championships used to be significant because the champion would go to a particular bowl game. In the past, the Big Ten champion and Pac 10 Champion would go to the Rose Bowl. Now the rules are different.

I would note that my analysis is mostly favorable to Penn State this year. In terms of national championships, Conference Championships are mostly window dressing.

I think what you guys misunderstand is that winning the game off of a blocked field goal returned for a TD is highly unusual. It's not play that gets executed very often. So I think since that was the final score you made to go ahead to win for the most part the Offense for OSU even though they struggled outscored your offense. And the Defense held your team to less points for the most part. Until the whacky FG block.

In this case OSU's offense put up more points and their defense just man handled your Heisman tailback for the entire game except a kick off return and and one run. Other than that Barkely was a non factor the entire game. That wasn't a fluke. And 13 for 13 passing in the 4th quarter, 33/39 over all, and 95 years rushing by JT was not a fluke either. That was just being the better team that day.

It's highly unusual to go 13 for 13 in the fourth quarter. Don't get me wrong, that's an amazing performance. But blocking the FG was no accident last year (Allen almost blocking one earlier in the same game), and the ball bouncing to Haley offset the ball not bouncing well on the blocked punt (Apke would have scored on that play if he fielded the ball cleanly/gotten a good bounce).

Rare plays are not flukes. A fluke implies luck. A good example in football would be an extra point hitting both uprights and going through. Or a batted pass being accidentally kicked by a falling DB into the arms of a waiting WR. Those are flukes. Making great plays, whether it be some of the great throws that JTB made, or blocking a FG and running it back, are not flukes.

A special teams play that scores a TD is not a fluke. Was Barkley's KO return this year a fluke? And who's to say Penn State would not have scored a TD after the blocked FG and taking up more time to give OSU no shot of winning in the end?

A special teams play that scores a TD is not a fluke. Was Barkley's KO return this year a fluke? And who's to say Penn State would not have scored a TD after the blocked FG and taking up more time to give OSU no shot of winning in the end?

It's not a fluke it's just unusual. For arguments sake even if a blocked FG is a "fluke" but the game is that close where that wins the game it still wouldn't diminish anything. If the game is close enough where 1 or 2 plays is the difference then whoever makes the play to win deserves it.

The 16 game just like this year either team could have won depending on any bounce one way or the other. Wasn't a fluke for either team just a good win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT