ADVERTISEMENT

OSU win Flukey

heckmans

Feb 13, 2006
If 2016 taught us anything, it's that PSU will go to the Playoff if they win out.

OSU had an embarrassing loss to OK at home and then beat #2 PSU at home on a fluke. It took a blocked punt and Barrett channeling John Elway in the 4th qtr. Barrett played out of his mind and will never repeat that again. He just doesn't pass the "look test" as a QB.

If PSU wins out, the committee must rank PSU ahead of OSU in playoff consideration.

Last edited:
True. The other thing is that would they say that about Penn State over Ohio State? No. Already hearing and probably true that we do not have a good win. If Michigan can finish top ten then we have one. Of course they will then say that Michigan wasn’t the same team we played. Lol.

I too tire of hearing about our "fluke" win last year. Every osu fan describes last years loss as a fluke due to a blocked kick....so I guess using their logic this must also be a FLUKE win, by only one point. Checkmate.

Reactions: ralphster
If you finish the season with three top 10 wins and Ohio State wins the B1G with 2 losses then it will be the same as last season and Penn State will make the playoffs.

If 2016 taught us anything, it's that PSU will go to the Playoff if they win out.

OSU had an embarrassing loss to OSU at home and then beat #2 PSU at home on a fluke. It took a blocked punt and Barrett channeling John Elway in the 4th qtr. Barrett played out of his mind and will never repeat that again. He just doesn't pass the "look test" as a QB.

If PSU wins out, the committee must rank PSU ahead of OSU in playoff consideration.

They outgained PSU by 200 yards

If you finish the season with three top 10 wins and Ohio State wins the B1G with 2 losses then it will be the same as last season and Penn State will make the playoffs.
All we heard last year was we didn't make it due to having two losses...so if OSU has two losses, they should be out (and that's straight from OSU fans' mouths). So be careful what you wish for each year.

To be clear, the post is a TIC indictment of the selection committee.
In 2016 PSU had an early non-conference loss by 3, and a bad conference loss, with largely a new staff, new QB, and 14th youngest team in FBS. They won the head to head and conference championship. PSU clearly deserved it more than OSU. You had to conduct mental gymnastics to get to a preferred end point to select OSU ahead of PSU last year. The 2 loss argument was BS, given the facts of the team, the timing of the losses and the committee's charge to frankly overlook results on the field and choose who they determine to be the best team. They ignored OSU's negative on-field results and emphasized PSU's b/c it justified a preferred position.

Same goes for this year. OSU beat PSU by one at home. If they win out, they should go ahead of PSU.

But I only ask for consistency. OSU got ROUTED by OK at home. PSU lost by 1 to OSU on the road on a fluke - (blocked punt and Barrett). It is commonly said that home field is about a 6-7 point advantage, so on a neutral field, PSU is the better team.
If the committee wants to remain consistent in applying their standards and logic, if both PSU and OSU win out, they must select PSU ahead of OSU for the playoff.

Last edited:

OSU had an embarrassing loss to OSU at home and then beat #2 PSU at home on a fluke. It took a blocked punt and Barrett channeling John Elway in the 4th qtr. Barrett played out of his mind and will never repeat that again. He just doesn't pass the "look test" as a QB.

No such thing as a fluke win if you really think about it. Fluke plays maybe, but that doesn't define the whole game.

All we heard last year was we didn't make it due to having two losses...so if OSU has two losses, they should be out (and that's straight from OSU fans' mouths). So be careful what you wish for each year.

If they lose again, it should be towards the end, which will drop them below 4- and they will be out. This gives credence to scheduling a wimpy out of conference schedule so you don't get that early loss, and you can maybe overcome an in conference loss.

If they lose again, it should be towards the end, which will drop them below 4- and they will be out. This gives credence to scheduling a wimpy out of conference schedule so you don't get that early loss, and you can maybe overcome an in conference loss.

That would work if you're OSU. If OSU is undefeated, then the B1G is a daunting challenge to survive. If it's PSU, then the B1G isn't enough and a weak NC schedule will be used as an excuse.

Last edited:
In 2016 PSU had an early non-conference loss by 3, and a bad conference loss, with largely a new staff, new QB, and 14th youngest team in FBS. They won the head to head and conference championship. PSU clearly deserved it more than OSU. You had to conduct mental gymnastics to get to a preferred end point to select OSU ahead of PSU last year. The 2 loss argument was BS, given the facts of the team, the timing of the losses and the committee'[s charge to frankly overlook results on the field and choose who they determine to be the best team. They ignored OSU's negative on-field results and emphasized PSU's b/c it justified a preferred position.

Same goes for this year. OSU beat PSU by one at home. If they win out, they should go ahead of PSU.

But I only ask for consistency. OSU got ROUTED by OSU at home. PSU lost by 1 to OSU on the road on a fluke - (blocked punt and Barrett). It is commonly said that home field is about a 6-7 point advantage, so on a neutral field, PSU is the better team.
If the committee wants to remain consistent in applying their standards and logic, if both PSU and OSU win out, they must select PSU ahead of OSU for the playoff.

Complete garbage. A loss is a loss is a loss. Losing with a new staff, a new QB and a young team doesn't mean squat. It's still a loss. I guess it means a tiny bit if we're out to the 12th tiebreaker, but 2 losses is worse than 1 loss. Period. I still think PSU has a great shot at the playoffs with only a narrow one point loss to a top team on the road. And if OSU loses again, obviously a conference loss, yet finishes ahead due to tiebreaker, you won't hear me pushing for playoffs. PSU CLEARLY goes in that instance/

That would work if your OSU. If OSU is undefeated, then the B1G is a daunting challenge to survive. If it's PSU, then the B1G isn't enough and a weak NC schedule will be used as an excuse.

You may be right..... who knows. You'd have to count on the Big 10 being strong so your strength of schedule was still pretty good..

1038.gif

Complete garbage. A loss is a loss is a loss. Losing with a new staff, a new QB and a young team doesn't mean squat. It's still a loss. I guess it means a tiny bit if we're out to the 12th tiebreaker, but 2 losses is worse than 1 loss. Period. I still think PSU has a great shot at the playoffs with only a narrow one point loss to a top team on the road. And if OSU loses again, obviously a conference loss, yet finishes ahead due to tiebreaker, you won't hear me pushing for playoffs. PSU CLEARLY goes in that instance/

Here's the straight "garbage" wexford. PSU won the B1G last year. If a conference isn't capable of determining who it's best team is, what good is the conference? End.of.story.

There is no doubt that PSU was the better team over the final 8 games of the season and the committee is charged with putting the "4 best" teams in.
They chose 2nd best based on BS logic b/c it was the preferred outcome.

Reactions: ralphster
Well, at least you're only asking for what you give, consistency ;)

If you're pointing out my typo, fine. Other than that , I don't understand.

OSU got ROUTED by OK at home. It was embarassing.

Last edited:
If you're pointing out my type, fine. Other than that , I don't understand.

OSU got ROUTED by OK at home. It was embarassing.
I was pointing out you were consistent in doing it across two different posts.

As for the actual topic...last year Ohio State had three top ten wins and one loss, also to a top 10 team. This year Penn State has zero top ten wins and a loss to a top 10 team.

Last year Ohio State had one loss, to a top ten team. Penn State had two losses, one to a top ten team and one to an unranked team. This year Ohio State has one loss, to a top ten team, Penn State has one loss to a top ten team.

If Ohio State loses again and Penn State doesn't, Penn State should probably get in over Ohio State.

Stats do lie. Where do you put a 97 yard TD kick return, a 62 yard kick return, and a 35 yard fumble return? One is a lost possession. The other two created short fields. They don't count?
Yea, last i checked special teams and defense were both part of the game of football. Has that changed?

I was pointing out you were consistent in doing it across two different posts.

As for the actual topic...last year Ohio State had three top ten wins and one loss, also to a top 10 team. This year Penn State has zero top ten wins and a loss to a top 10 team.

Last year Ohio State had one loss, to a top ten team. Penn State had two losses, one to a top ten team and one to an unranked team. This year Ohio State has one loss, to a top ten team, Penn State has one loss to a top ten team.

If Ohio State loses again and Penn State doesn't, Penn State should probably get in over Ohio State.
Last year, Penn State was better than Ohio State.

OSU won on a fluke blocked punt, fluke holding Barkley to less than 3 yards per carry, 27-17 advantage in first downs, almost twice as much total yardage, and +400 yards of total offense by Barrett. Really?

PSU almost won legitmately because of a kickoff return and multiple mistakes by OSU early in the game. Really?

Last year PSU won legitimately because of a blocked punt and despite OSU having a statistical advantage. I think PSU did win legitimately last season, not because of the punt block, but because of the final score.

I would have had no problem if PSU made the playoffs last year, even ahead of OSU. While the offense was sputtering, it was the beating of number 3 Michigan at the end, which the playoff committee gave more value to than beating number 6 Wisconsin.

I would agree that if OSU lost in the regular season and beat Wisconsin, while PSU wins out, the N. Lions may have a shot at the playoffs depending on what other teams do. The problem is compounded if it is an undefeated Wisconsin that beats OSU and wins the Conference Championship. OSU didn't have that factor last season.

Stats do lie. Where do you put a 97 yard TD kick return, a 62 yard kick return, and a 35 yard fumble return? One is a lost possession. The other two created short fields. They don't count?
Exactly. Most fans have ludicrous if not downright silly interpretations of stats. In fact the Barkley TD is one less possession for PSU. And what team wouldn't want their offenses to start with a short field even if it lowered the stat totals on O?

I too tire of hearing about our "fluke" win last year. Every osu fan describes last years loss as a fluke due to a blocked kick....so I guess using their logic this must also be a FLUKE win, by only one point. Checkmate.

What? I've never heard one OSU fan say that! A win is a win, period

I'm not trying to be careful it's just a fact. If we win the conference and have 2 losses it 100% won't be us in the playoffs, it obviously won't be Wisconsin either.

Either Penn State goes to the playoffs or the B1G is left out for the first time in the playoff format.

I'm not trying to be careful it's just a fact. If we win the conference and have 2 losses it 100% won't be us in the playoffs, it obviously won't be Wisconsin either.

Either Penn State goes to the playoffs or the B1G is left out for the first time in the playoff format.
I agree and my guess is the Big won't go unless there aren't enough one loss teams to fill the four spots.

I saw the title for this thread and I thought that maybe FINALLY this rivalry had a trophy...

I present to you...the PSU-OSU game trophy...Flukey the fish!

il_570xN.1349667633_m51g.jpg

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I agree and my guess is the Big won't go unless there aren't enough one loss teams to fill the four spots.

I mean if it's Ohio State with 1 loss as the Big 10 champ, I believe they are 99% in the show. Especially since Wisconsin will almost certainly be undefeated before the conference title game.

If we lose before Wisconsin and it's you guys at 11-1 I still think you make it. You would need some help but not much. Just need to win your games convincingly.

I mean if it's Ohio State with 1 loss as the Big 10 champ, I believe they are 99% in the show. Especially since Wisconsin will almost certainly be undefeated before the conference title game.

If we lose before Wisconsin and it's you guys at 11-1 I still think you make it. You would need some help but not much. Just need to win your games convincingly.
If OSU wins out, they're definitely in. If not, then who knows.

If OSU wins out, they're definitely in. If not, then who knows.

If Ohio State loses to Wisconsin, they are out.

If they lose to someone else and still win the Big 10- I think there is a good argument that they won't make it.

OSU had an embarrassing loss to OK at home and then beat #2 PSU at home on a fluke. It took a blocked punt and Barrett channeling John Elway in the 4th qtr. Barrett played out of his mind and will never repeat that again. He just doesn't pass the "look test" as a QB.

How is losing to a team many considered very likely to be in the CFP, win their conference, that has a legit Heisman candidate at QB and a top 5 ranking an embarassment? I am pretty sure most would describe it as a "quality" loss.

Your loss to Ohio State was not on a fluke. OSU did everything in it's power to hand you that game on a silver platter and you still didn't take it. They were fumbling the bal all over the field. We couldn't execute a reasonable kick off to save our lives. Meyer has called our kick off team a joke and a circus. We had a lot of bad penalties. The refs made huge calls that gave you points and took them from OSU. By the way I think that overturn on the TD they called an INT was the right call. Your receiver had it and Ward ripped it away after the catch was complete.

OSU came out and did a coupe things over 12:00-14:00 minute span of time. They continued to shut down Barkley. They harassed McSorely and negated a consistent passing game. JT and the offense moved the ball consistently while the O Line gave him time to pass. 13 of 13 of passing isn't a fluke it's a great performance under pressure when it mattered most.

The stats show you were outplayed all game but mistakes and sloppy OSU play held them back on offense. I am providing a link from a PSU writer that says it best.

https://articles.pennlive.com/penns.../2017/10/penn_state_ohio_state_football_3.amp

In 2016 PSU had an early non-conference loss by 3, and a bad conference loss, with largely a new staff, new QB, and 14th youngest team in FBS. They won the head to head and conference championship. PSU clearly deserved it more than OSU. You had to conduct mental gymnastics to get to a preferred end point to select OSU ahead of PSU last year. The 2 loss argument was BS, given the facts of the team, the timing of the losses and the committee's charge to frankly overlook results on the field and choose who they determine to be the best team. They ignored OSU's negative on-field results and emphasized PSU's b/c it justified a preferred position.

But I only ask for consistency. OSU got ROUTED by OK at home. PSU lost by 1 to OSU on the road on a fluke - (blocked punt and Barrett). It is commonly said that home field is about a 6-7 point advantage, so on a neutral field, PSU is the better team.
So by your logic since OSU lost on the road last year to you guys by 3 and you say home field is automatically 6-7 points for the home team ...OSU was better than you last year on a neutral field. Therefore, the committee did the right thing?

If OSU wins out and wins the B1G Championship and we beat you head to head I am sorry there is just no possible way you get in over OSU. If that were the choice. You may get in over somebody else. But it won't be OSU if we win out.

How is losing to a team many considered very likely to be in the CFP, win their conference, that has a legit Heisman candidate at QB and a top 5 ranking an embarassment? I am pretty sure most would describe it as a "quality" loss.

Your loss to Ohio State was not on a fluke. OSU did everything in it's power to hand you that game on a silver platter and you still didn't take it. They were fumbling the bal all over the field. We couldn't execute a reasonable kick off to save our lives. Meyer has called our kick off team a joke and a circus. We had a lot of bad penalties. The refs made huge calls that gave you points and took them from OSU. By the way I think that overturn on the TD they called an INT was the right call. Your receiver had it and Ward ripped it away after the catch was complete.

OSU came out and did a coupe things over 12:00-14:00 minute span of time. They continued to shut down Barkley. They harassed McSorely and negated a consistent passing game. JT and the offense moved the ball consistently while the O Line gave him time to pass. 13 of 13 of passing isn't a fluke it's a great performance under pressure when it mattered most.

The stats show you were outplayed all game but mistakes and sloppy OSU play held them back on offense. I am providing a link from a PSU writer that says it best.

https://articles.pennlive.com/penns.../2017/10/penn_state_ohio_state_football_3.amp
Much like PSU did everything they could in the first half last year to give you the game, but came back and won through dominant DLine play, yet it was still called a fluke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT