ADVERTISEMENT

On this date in 1863, Lee rolled the dice and lost.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
Pickett's charge. The South never fully recovered, although the war would drag on for nearly 2 more years.
63-7-3-the-high-water-at-gettysburg_detail.jpg

I'm no expert on 19th century infantry tactics, but I've walked the battlefield, and I cannot understand how anybody who did know anything about it could look at that ground and think that an infantry charge could possibly succeed.

Pickett's charge. The South never fully recovered, although the war would drag on for nearly 2 more years.
63-7-3-the-high-water-at-gettysburg_detail.jpg

WHAT A SHOCK...yet, another war thread on a football board. Well, not really a shock.

It was over at Little Round Top. The South failed because they did only the minimum of what was expected of them.

Reactions: 91Joe95
One of the brothers lef
WHAT A SHOCK...yet, another war thread on a football board. Well, not really a shock.

It was over at Little Round Top. The South failed because they did only the minimum of what was expected of them.

one of the brothers left a Diet Coke at little round top. About 11 pm the pledges had to go retrieve it. It's different at night

Reactions: TheGLOV and 91Joe95
It was on this date that my great great great grandfather volunteered to join 8 others and charged a cabin housing confederate 'snipers,' secured the cabin and took them all captive, becoming one of 63 men to earn the Medal of Honor at Gettysburg in the process, an item I proudly have in a safe in my home.

I recently heard that a remarkably low % of Union troops in the area of Gettysburg actually saw combat during the battle. If that's accurate it makes the failure to cut off or even pursue the rebels back to VA astounding.

Grant, Sherman and Sheridan all understood that moving forward and not giving the adversary any breathing room was key to victory.
This is a topic that has been hotly debated through the years. I am not able to spend much time tonight, but I among those who think Meade did the best he could. He had 23,000 casualties at Gettysburg, including 3 corps commanders. Lee's army was reeling but still dangerous. Tough call.

Lee sorely missed his best general, Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson, who died a month or so earlier.
Whether Jackson would have made a difference at Gettysburg is another hotly debated topic. I believe he would have, but I'm not sure it would have been enough to give Lee a victory.

This is a topic that has been hotly debated through the years. I am not able to spend much time tonight, but I among those who think Meade did the best he could. He had 23,000 casualties at Gettysburg, including 3 corps commanders. Lee's army was reeling but still dangerous. Tough call.

Having just checked the back of the medal, in now embarrassed to say yesterday was the anniversary of that event....

Reactions: 91Joe95 and EPC FAN
Whether Jackson would have made a difference at Gettysburg is another hotly debated topic. I believe he would have, but I'm not sure it would have been enough to give Lee a victory.
Upon learning that Jackson had his left arm amputated after being shot in error by Confederates, Lee wrote to Jackson saying that though he (Jackson) may have lost his left arm, Lee had lost his right.

One of my great, great, great grandfathers died on day 2 at the wheat field/peach orchard. His name is on the PA memorial.
I would love to read more about this aspect of the battle. If anyone has any recommendations I would apoeciate it.

Check out Harry W. Pfanz, "Gettysburg - The Second Day." There might also be a regimental history available that provides details.

There's certainly more to leadership than strategy and tactics. Marshall and Eisenhower knew how to best apply talent, how to work with and keep the alliance going, planning and logistics. They fail in any of those aspects and the allies could have easily lost the war.

The merits of Grant as a military commander are subject to debate, but he won the war and that speaks for itself.

It was on this date that my great great great grandfather volunteered to join 8 others and charged a cabin housing confederate 'snipers,' secured the cabin and took them all captive, becoming one of 63 men to earn the Medal of Honor at Gettysburg in the process, an item I proudly have in a safe in my home.

For anyone interested, you can visit the building this ancestor built in Bloomsburg. Just head to the West End Ale Haus. It's located on the first floor of 3 buildings, one of which was built by my ancestor to house his harness shop. Also, if you visit West End Ale Haus, ask for Ray (also the county asst DA), and tell him Will sent you. Ironically, my closest friend owns the bar that includes the building my ancestor built.

The absence of JEB Stuart's cavalry until late on day 2 is also credited with having hampered Lee's usual aggressiveness and ability to outmaneuver his opponents. One of the great ironies is that Lee's greatest defeat would result from his choice of a frontal assault after he had witnessed multiple times the futility of such tactics when used by the Union army. On the point about letting Lee retreat, I have also heard that Stuart's cavalry did an excellent job of screening the retreating army and keeping the Union cavalry at a distance.

And to wbcincy, wonderful story about your great-great-grandfather earning the MoH. One of my g-g-grandfathers fought for the Union, but disappeared from home during the war and was never heard from again. Lots of rumors about being a spy for one side or the other, but the family never knew exactly what happened to him. My cousin researched it and just recently discovered a record in the Civil War museum in Richmond indicating that he was taken by confederate soldiers near his home and ended up dying in a prison camp. A majority of the deaths during the Civil War were from disease or complications from wounds rather than directly on the battlefield.

That may have been the case but think about it, Meade was relieved of command almost immediately after the Union's biggest victory of the war to date.
Meade was relieved by Lincoln who was under considerable media and other pressures to find a way to end the war, and was angry at no pursuit. I don't think he understood how devastating that battle was for both sides until later. Soon after he put in place the no immediate parole as well 08/1863.

My Great-Great Grandfather, a Corporal in the 1st RI Cav who was harrying General Stuart in Middleburg, VA in late May to keep him in VA (part of the reason JEB was late to Gettysburg), was in Libby Prison/Belle Isle at the time and was not out of that ugly place until 01/1864.

Middleburg lost the Union 200 tried and true Veteran Cavalrymen as prisoners who did not make it to Gettysburg, probably contributing to Stuart's success in retreat.

Last edited:
You are correct. My mistake. I'm going to back and reread some of my books.
The Army of the Potomac, but not the entire Army. Funny, before I started studying this or even having any interest in it b/c of family research, I really had no idea that the whole thing didn't take place in the Eastern US. Yikes.

Reactions: fairgambit
It should not be forgotten that General George Custer played a major role in the battle on July 3rd when he led the Michigan cavalry and stopped Stuart getting in the rear of the Union army at the East Cavalry Field.

I've always thought this specific initiative taken by Custer is way overlooked...

Indeed, if Stuart's cavalry were able to attack the union from the rear, Pickett's charge may very well have a completely different history.

Reactions: fairgambit
Whatever the circumstances, Meade's refusal to swiftly pursue the retreating Confederate army certainly brought to Lincoln's mind the general malaise of George McClellan. In no way did Lincoln have any interest in championing a non aggressive general ever again.

Sherman and Grant certainly fit what he was looking for.

Is it true more Americans died in 3 days of battle at GBurg than in the entire Vietnam War?....amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT