ADVERTISEMENT

On his radio show tonight, Franklin made a cryptic statement about his future at Penn State

That is fine, but where else do you see HC's talking about how loyal they are while not shooting down other openings year after year? PSU is behind in that culture and I think most get that, but this idea he's at the little sisters of the poor and his hands are tied when he was 4-5 last year and dropped a game to a dreadful Illinois team at home is a bit much.

PSU has the largest alumni base in the country and has plenty of support. The real problem is a good deal of that fanbase still think it's 1970 and PSU is so different....it's not anymore. Players are getting paid and can sign endorsement deals now......PSU needs to get that in motion. That part I understand his frustration with, but he can cut out the loyalty talk already. He's as loyal as his best option.
I do think some fans think PSU still recruits itself. I read a post stating two national championships and undefeated seasons should be enough to bring in recruits. Success before they were born and in some cases before their parents were born is almost irrelevant today. They care about the playoffs, how many guys you put in the league recently, relationships with coaches, facilities, and now NIL opportunities.

Maybe, just maybe, the Penn State brass is seeing what most of us as Penn State Football Fans are seeing...that James Franklin is not that great of a football coach. You can drop $100 million on football facility updates and pay James Franklin $8 million a year, but you never know what Penn State Football Team is going to show up on a given Saturday. James Franklin treats Penn State Football like a Family, not like a Business (i've heard this comment from multiple former Penn State Football players). At some point, the Penn State brass may very well tell James Franklin to take his coaching skills elsewhere because it's not worth what he is asking for.

Speak for your self.

I think you say goodbye and best of luck. He’s not going to get it done and the constant “using leverage” is just another one of his games, like you said.
For the price the university is paying compared to the results on the field we are better off with a Bronco Mendenhall type coach…if you’re ok with 9-3…but that’s not even what Franklin is honestly. He’s got more .500 type seasons and if you take out the best college fb RB in the past 40 years Franklins successful years would be garbage too.

Your post is garbage.

I do think some fans think PSU still recruits itself. I read a post stating two national championships and undefeated seasons should be enough to bring in recruits. Success before they were born and in some cases before their parents were born is almost irrelevant today. They care about the playoffs, how many guys you put in the league recently, relationships with coaches, facilities, and now NIL opportunities.

This. USC has better recruiting territory and much more recent success and they don’t recruit themselves.

I think you say goodbye and best of luck. He’s not going to get it done and the constant “using leverage” is just another one of his games, like you said.
For the price the university is paying compared to the results on the field we are better off with a Bronco Mendenhall type coach…if you’re ok with 9-3…but that’s not even what Franklin is honestly. He’s got more .500 type seasons and if you take out the best college fb RB in the past 40 years Franklins successful years would be garbage too.

So now he doesn't even get credit for the good/great seasons because he had really good players that he brought in, he needs to have great seasons with bad players ? Jesus Christ.

Hypothetically, if Allar is a generational QB, any success while he's here won't count either I guess. (not saying he will be)

Honestly I’m ready for a Bronco Mendenhall or Kyle Whittingham or just some hard-ass type coach who gets the most out of his players.

Reactions: Cpeplion
I think he’s gotta sign Allar, play him immediately (hopefully he’s ready) and build off that. Allar should pull recruits by himself if he’s really #1 in the country. If James can’t get it done then, the problem is James.

Putting Clifford out there against Illinois at 35% was what turned the tables for me.
I think the change Franklin needs to recognize and address is having a capable #2 at each position, and more importantly the coaching staff to get these #2's and #3's there. I understand Levis' attitude and actions, but they have done much better (albeit with a very different situation) at other positions like DE and even LB juggling Luketa, they have to do similar with other positions like OL and RB, as well as more importantly the QB in the future-it cost them 2 games this year-they'd still be in the top 10 if not top 5 if this were handled by a 'committed and capable head coach'....some choices cost (more) money, some do not-I expect better play at the QB, OL, and RB positions with the same budget-maybe what should change is some coaches-maybe other than Yurcich.

Reactions: BBrown
You can bet it has more to do with facilities funding and staff salary than it does with his own salary. He wants commitment from administration to support the football team all the way. If/when gets that, he’d make some commitment statement/long term contract maybe without the low buyout clause.
I agree.

I would just prefer our losses be tangibly tied to that problem rather than playing an ailing QB…which has nothing to do with facilities.
Meanwhile Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy faced the same issue, picked a nobody backup to play and still beat the Vikings.

>>Well, I think it’s a fair question. I don’t know if it’s completely appropriate in this setting for me to get into it in detail. But I think for me, what I’ve tried to do since I’ve been here is I have tried to show through my actions over eight years of how loyal I have been and what this place means to me. For me, I want to make sure that we are competing every other day of the week, so we have the best chance to compete on Saturdays. College football has changed dramatically. And we have to be willing to change with it in every experience there is. I understand your question and I get it, but I think I’ve proven my loyalty over time. I would love to get to a point where I can come out and make a strong statement sooner rather than later. Some of those things are out of my hand.<<

Hmmm. He'd love to make a "strong statement sooner rather than later." Interesting. Not sure exactly what it means though.
If Franklin ever DID make a strong statement, I might be more worried.
One day, he will no longer be the coach at PSU and the sun will still rise, and a new coach will take the reigns, and hopefully they will be a great recruiter AND understand how to manage a game. If he doesn't want to be here, please send him on his way now and look for someone who does.
I'm just going to root for PSU and let the people in charge worry about who is on the sideline.
Just wondering what quote he'll say 50 times during his intro press conference. "I'm a Pennsylvania boy with a USC heart," doesn't quote have the same ring.

Reactions: Jerry
I think the change Franklin needs to recognize and address is having a capable #2 at each position, and more importantly the coaching staff to get these #2's and #3's there. I understand Levis' attitude and actions, but they have done much better (albeit with a very different situation) at other positions like DE and even LB juggling Luketa, they have to do similar with other positions like OL and RB, as well as more importantly the QB in the future-it cost them 2 games this year-they'd still be in the top 10 if not top 5 if this were handled by a 'committed and capable head coach'....some choices cost (more) money, some do not-I expect better play at the QB, OL, and RB positions with the same budget-maybe what should change is some coaches-maybe other than Yurcich.
+1. I think thats true for the QB position and the OL. But like you I think they've done pretty good at the other positions.
But the QB thing is just an epic fail and I can't blame it all on Levis leaving.

I agree.

I would just prefer our losses be tangibly tied to that problem rather than playing an ailing QB…which has nothing to do with facilities.
Meanwhile Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy faced the same issue, picked a nobody backup to play and still beat the Vikings.
I was with you until you went down the NFL road and IMO thats just not applicable. 🤷‍♂️

The back to back one point losses to OSU were incredibly damaging. Success begets success in this system.

At this point - we need Franklin to stay. This recruiting class is elite and his second best on paper after 2018. We have the best QB prospect since Hack and an all American running back and wide receiver coming in. With Yurcich in the fold, I think our offense can be nasty good if we figure the line out.

If I’m Sandy - I tell Franklin that I’ll pay for assistant salaries, but that he needs to turn over more game day planning to his assistants.

if Franklin can be a field general and yield control of the X’s and O’s to his coordinators, I think Franklin could get us there as a leader who stays out of managing the details.
I don’t think Franklin is currently controlling the play calling(x and o). I have never seen him interfering on the sidelines or even talk into his headset In a way that suggests such. Not sure what your point is but the game plans are clearly Yurcich and Pry

Last edited:
Wasn't Roberson limited in practice? I know he was leading up to OSU.

Hadn’t heard, but possible.

As frustrating as it was to watch a Penn State defense fail against the run, the offense was really terrible. I’m giving Yurcich a bit of a pass on QBs development given it’s the first year and he’s already shown some impressive game plans and play calling, but that was embarrassing.
I agree.

Absolutely, that loss was atrocious.
I hate to say it, but we lost to Illinois playing THEIR backup qb in OT. Burns my ass.

But getting more university funding for staff salaries will help us keep our better staff members in place, which would help with player development continuity. Especially at qb if we keep Yurcich around for more than a minute.

Spot on, too much living in the past or thinking that past is someone going to entice today's top coaches and recruits. Some think PSU is some utopia that is better than every other school in the land. There's an awful lot of ego and closemindedness amongst some of our fanbase. A rural campus in the middle of nowhere isn't for everyone. The national titles and Heisman are ancient history. The CFB community at large doesn't even consider PSU a "blue blood" which is blasphemy here, but they most commonly have us as the first school out due to having fewer titles and Heismans than the top dogs. I get it, people from central PA might think competing schools in places like Los Angeles are a cesspool. But guess what? Millions of people live there. Millions of others want to live there. The jury is still out on what Franklin prefers.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Spot on, too much living in the past or thinking that past is someone going to entice today's top coaches and recruits. Some think PSU is some utopia that is better than every other school in the land. There's an awful lot of ego and closemindedness amongst some of our fanbase. A rural campus in the middle of nowhere isn't for everyone. The national titles and Heisman are ancient history. The CFB community at large doesn't even consider PSU a "blue blood" which is blasphemy here, but they most commonly have us as the first school out due to having fewer titles and Heismans than the top dogs. I get it, people from central PA might think competing schools in places like Los Angeles are a cesspool. But guess what? Millions of people live there. Millions of others want to live there. The jury is still out on what Franklin prefers.
Don't disagree on your sentiment - PSU can't rest on it's laurels - but anyone saying PSU isn't a blue blood has never been to a PSU game and doesn't understand what the term blue blood means.

I don’t think Franklin is currently controlling the play calling(x and o). I have never seen him interfering on the sidelines or even talk into his headset In a way that suggests such. Not sure what your point is but the game plans are clearly Yurcich and Pry
Yeah you’re right - fixation on explosive plays and athletes in space, the poor clock management, recruiting guys with insane athleticism but are raw as oysters, the going for it on 4th down….

all of those things have spanned his entire tenure despite multiple assistants being different. He might not have a headset on, but don’t act like he isn’t meddling in the background.

Yeah you’re right - fixation on explosive plays and athletes in space, the poor clock management, recruiting guys with insane athleticism but are raw as oysters, the going for it on 4th down….

all of those things have spanned his entire tenure despite multiple assistants being different. He might not have a headset on, but don’t act like he isn’t meddling in the background.
I wish we were recruiting more guys with insane athleticism. The three I can think of, Barkley, Parsons, and Oweh were pretty good. But who wants more of that.

And every coach wants to get their athletes in space. Kind of makes sense

And Ryan Day failed on three fourth down calls but still won because he has more of those insane athletes

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Not having good enough facilities did not inhibit recruiting this year.

Do we need $100 million in facilities before we can war game and figure out that the only way Illinois has a prayer against us is to sell out on the run and put 9 guys on the line to run at us? It seems they never thought of that scenario yet they knew they were putting an immobile QB back there. What exactly were they planning on for that game? That loss will forever haunt him.

No amount of facilities will cover up the fact that Franklin is way over paid relative to game prep and in game coaching. O$U would love for him to stay at PSU.

>>Well, I think it’s a fair question. I don’t know if it’s completely appropriate in this setting for me to get into it in detail. But I think for me, what I’ve tried to do since I’ve been here is I have tried to show through my actions over eight years of how loyal I have been and what this place means to me. For me, I want to make sure that we are competing every other day of the week, so we have the best chance to compete on Saturdays. College football has changed dramatically. And we have to be willing to change with it in every experience there is. I understand your question and I get it, but I think I’ve proven my loyalty over time. I would love to get to a point where I can come out and make a strong statement sooner rather than later. Some of those things are out of my hand.<<

Hmmm. He'd love to make a "strong statement sooner rather than later." Interesting. Not sure exactly what it means though.
Fingers crossed. He can't leave soon enough.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
I wish we were recruiting more guys with insane athleticism. The three I can think of, Barkley, Parsons, and Oweh were pretty good. But who wants more of that.

And Ryan Day failed on three fourth down calls but still won because he has more of those insane athletes
Now you’re just being a butthurt skirt

Ryan Day won because he has an offensive line, and he always plays against a team that does not have one.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
So now he doesn't even get credit for the good/great seasons because he had really good players that he brought in, he needs to have great seasons with bad players ? Jesus Christ.

Hypothetically, if Allar is a generational QB, any success while he's here won't count either I guess. (not saying he will be)
Inconvenient fact: During his best seasons, Franklin's best and most impactful players with the exception of Ried and Haley were O'Brien's recruits. Yes, this includes Saquan who wouldn't have ended up in Happy Valley had he not been a key O'Brien target since Franklin doesn't recruit Whitehall.

Reactions: Psugo823
In franklins defense - winning is hard as hell and really only Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State are “winning” the way we want to be winning. Sure Norte Dame and MSU have snuck into a CFP, but they’ve been embarrassed. If Franklin wants sandy all-in at Alabama levels of admin support, then I don’t blame him.

thank urban Meyer for forcing the rest of the B1G to either play dirty or lose to OSU most years. The culture changed at OSU once he got there. They were very good with tressel, cooper, etc. remember cardale jones basically saying, “f school, we’re here for football”. we as fans speak out of both sides of our mouths. We want to go 12-0, but act like we can do it the “Black Shoes” way. There aren’t enough coal miners/steel workers sons around to make that a reality folks.
Are u kidding me ? Tressel was dirty as hell. Troy Smith , Maurice Clarett , Terrell Pryor were all suspended at some point for illegal benefits they received while at OSU under Tressel.

Inconvenient fact: During his best seasons, Franklin's best and most impactful players with the exception of Ried and Haley were O'Brien's recruits. Yes, this includes Saquan who wouldn't have ended up in Happy Valley had he not been a key O'Brien target since Franklin doesn't recruit Whitehall.

Man not much love for Trace.

Are u kidding me ? Tressel was dirty as hell. Troy Smith , Maurice Clarett , Terrell Pryor were all suspended at some point for illegal benefits they received while at OSU under Tressel.
I never said tressel was a saint. Just that the administration went all in on the dark side once urban got there. That’s my opinion. It feels worse since UM got there. Why do people make counter arguments against points I didn’t make?

Maybe, just maybe, the Penn State brass is seeing what most of us as Penn State Football Fans are seeing...that James Franklin is not that great of a football coach. You can drop $100 million on football facility updates and pay James Franklin $8 million a year, but you never know what Penn State Football Team is going to show up on a given Saturday. James Franklin treats Penn State Football like a Family, not like a Business (i've heard this comment from multiple former Penn State Football players). At some point, the Penn State brass may very well tell James Franklin to take his coaching skills elsewhere because it's not worth what he is asking for.
Well stated. As I've said in the past, these are young kids that need discipline. Not comparing programs, however the Arkansas starting lineup has gone through several changes that last couple of weeks. Love that Pittman says
That is not true. Franklin flipped Saquon.

(House of the Rising Sun): ....with one foot on the platform, the other on the train, I'm moving on to USC to wear those bright gold chains.

Well stated. As I've said in the past, these are young kids that need discipline. Not comparing programs, however the Arkansas starting lineup has gone through several changes that last couple of weeks. Love that Pittman says

That is not true. Franklin flipped Saquon.

O’Brien called him from Houston. Probably why things didn’t work out for him there.

In franklins defense - winning is hard as hell and really only Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State are “winning” the way we want to be winning. Sure Norte Dame and MSU have snuck into a CFP, but they’ve been embarrassed. If Franklin wants sandy all-in at Alabama levels of admin support, then I don’t blame him.

thank urban Meyer for forcing the rest of the B1G to either play dirty or lose to OSU most years. The culture changed at OSU once he got there. They were very good with tressel, cooper, etc. remember cardale jones basically saying, “f school, we’re here for football”. we as fans speak out of both sides of our mouths. We want to go 12-0, but act like we can do it the “Black Shoes” way. There aren’t enough coal miners/steel workers sons around to make that a reality folks.
+1,000

You might be on to something... There is a power struggle at the top and the BOT wants to win.

If you look at the teams with multiple playoff appearances. The answer is yes, unless you play in the ACC. So the admin can either pony up, the alums can pony up or the admins can find us a home in the acc coastal.
That is pretty much only answer. OSU has moved too far ahead physically. Their OL and DL depth/talent/development just crushes rest of conference. Unfortunate but Pitt has much easier path than us.

Reactions: bison13
If Franklin leaves he leaves. We are not going to win a title with him but could without him. I am just tired of his constant whining and me first nonsense.

Reactions: Psugo823
Franklin’s comments about “loyalty” have to be directed to the Penn State brass. He has been the head coach for the past 8 years which shows loyalty. But we also know he interviewed for the Florida State job which may not be an indicator of loyalty depending on how you look at it. I think Franklin is currently negotiating with the Penn State brass, but he should not be asking for a salary or bonus raise because he is compensated fairly. He is probably asking for infrastructure upgrades and NIL opportunities and incentives.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT