ADVERTISEMENT

On his radio show tonight, Franklin made a cryptic statement about his future at Penn State

Well stated. As I've said in the past, these are young kids that need discipline. Not comparing programs, however the Arkansas starting lineup has gone through several changes that last couple of weeks. Love that Pittman says

That is not true. Franklin flipped Saquon.
It is true that Franklin flipped Saquan but it is also true that BoB brought him into the fold and Franklin does not recruit Whitehall. Franklin gets the assist but that is it.

At this point - we need Franklin to stay. This recruiting class is elite and his second best on paper after 2018. We have the best QB prospect since Hack and an all American running back and wide receiver coming in. With Yurcich in the fold, I think our offense can be nasty good if we figure the line out.

If I’m Sandy - I tell Franklin that I’ll pay for assistant salaries, but that he needs to turn over more game day planning to his assistants.

if Franklin can be a field general and yield control of the X’s and O’s to his coordinators, I think Franklin could get us there as a leader who stays out of managing the details.
You end your argument with an IF.

and you just watched that field general have 3 timeouts with 1:15 left and the one timeout he calls is to……Kneel.

it appears the joke is on us.

Reactions: Ski
>>Well, I think it’s a fair question. I don’t know if it’s completely appropriate in this setting for me to get into it in detail. But I think for me, what I’ve tried to do since I’ve been here is I have tried to show through my actions over eight years of how loyal I have been and what this place means to me. For me, I want to make sure that we are competing every other day of the week, so we have the best chance to compete on Saturdays. College football has changed dramatically. And we have to be willing to change with it in every experience there is. I understand your question and I get it, but I think I’ve proven my loyalty over time. I would love to get to a point where I can come out and make a strong statement sooner rather than later. Some of those things are out of my hand.<<

Hmmm. He'd love to make a "strong statement sooner rather than later." Interesting. Not sure exactly what it means though.
I heard his agent wanted him to be paid top 3 in the country .

• Wow
Reactions: Ski
$7m and out of his hands to make a strong statement seem almost at odds.
I think you say goodbye and best of luck. He’s not going to get it done and the constant “using leverage” is just another one of his games, like you said.
For the price the university is paying compared to the results on the field we are better off with a Bronco Mendenhall type coach…if you’re ok with 9-3…but that’s not even what Franklin is honestly. He’s got more .500 type seasons and if you take out the best college fb RB in the past 40 years Franklins successful years would be garbage too.
agreed

Reactions: Cpeplion
My issue is that Franklin from day one rejected power football. He rejected a full house backfield a full back the "I formation". JF could have easily developed a balanced attack over his tenure but he went 100 % RPO. That mindset stunted the ability of the O line to run block. He didn't' recruit or develop "road graders" on the O line. JF was consumed with recruiting mainly only skill players. Football is many things one thing it is not is rocket science. You have to teach and display fundamentals of tackling, blocking, good footwork. Football is situational and JF never understood that or respond to the situation. How many time do we win a game if only we had the ability and capability to control the ball. I'll buy his plane ticket west.

Don't disagree on your sentiment - PSU can't rest on it's laurels - but anyone saying PSU isn't a blue blood has never been to a PSU game and doesn't understand what the term blue blood means.
Disagree all you'd like, popular NCAA boards such as Reddit almost universally do not consider PSU a blue blood program.

O$U would love for him to stay at PSU.
Annually we compete better against OSU than any other program in the conference. My OSU friends would be thrilled if Franklin left. There are some valid criticisms about Franklin, but his general overall level of competitiveness vs. OSU ain't it.

Disagree all you'd like, popular NCAA boards such as Reddit almost universally do not consider PSU a blue blood program.
Just curious is Georgia considered blue blood on those boards??

Since 2005 they’ve won a single conference championship and PSU has won three; since 1980 they’ve won one NCAA tittle, PSU has won two beating them for one (I was there). Oh, and PSU has better overall Bowl winning % too.

Lastly, don’t forget the better overall winning percentage and 50 or so more wins overall.

Just curious is Georgia considered blue blood on those boards??

Since 2005 they’ve won a single conference championship and PSU has won three; since 1980 they’ve won one NCAA tittle, PSU has won two beating them for one (I was there). Oh, and PSU has better overall Bowl winning % too.

Lastly, don’t forget the better overall winning percentage and 50 or so more wins overall.
No, Georgia is usually out too and lumped into the same tier as PSU. Many have PSU as the top school in the next tier for whatever that's worth.

The below chart is referenced a lot. The chart only considers AP rankings so it's not how the overall list is typically created, which factors in a number of things such as wins, bowls, Heismans, conference titles, national titles, rankings, playoffs, etc., but it just so happens to align with what many often consider to be the blue blood tier so it's shared frequently. The 8 programs in the upper right are the most commonly mentioned blue bloods from what I've seen: Ohio St., Michigan, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC.

No, Georgia is usually out too and lumped into the same tier as PSU. Many have PSU as the top school in the next tier for whatever that's worth.

The below chart is referenced a lot. The chart only considers AP rankings so it's not how the overall list is typically created, which factors in a number of things such as wins, bowls, Heismans, conference titles, national titles, rankings, playoffs, etc., but it just so happens to align with what many often consider to be the blue blood tier so it's shared frequently. The 8 programs in the upper right are the most commonly mentioned blue bloods from what I've seen: Ohio St., Michigan, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame, USC.

Hmmm, ok. So basically it’s the top 8 teams with the most historical wins with SC added and Yale and PSU left out.

Not having good enough facilities did not inhibit recruiting this year.

Do we need $100 million in facilities before we can war game and figure out that the only way Illinois has a prayer against us is to sell out on the run and put 9 guys on the line to run at us? It seems they never thought of that scenario yet they knew they were putting an immobile QB back there. What exactly were they planning on for that game? That loss will forever haunt him.

No amount of facilities will cover up the fact that Franklin is way over paid relative to game prep and in game coaching. O$U would love for him to stay at PSU.
Yawn, zzzzzzzzzz

Interesting that some people here mentioned NIL, as I think this is going to be increasingly important in recruiting and I am curious about how PSU does compared to other 'big-time' schools.

I'll be called a kool-aid drinker, but what the hell, people forget that when JF started, Penn State was a pariah school in the middle of sanctions. He got PSU up to speed rather quickly, and (covid year excepted) kept the Lions at a pretty high level. Yes, the Illinois game sucked, and we are impatient to get over that hump and beat OSU, but consider where the school came from when Franklin started.

I don’t see many coaches taking us towards the top right corner of the chart, at least not the whole way up.

Plenty of coaches though that can take us towards the bottom left corner. Some of our miserable fans deserve that.

Reactions: OzLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT