ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics question: What is the story with the stuffed animals on the podium?*

Asian cultures are big on giving gifts and they also go for rather silly looking cartoon type things that western cultures would associate with a more childish level as opposed to a more dignified mascot for the olympics. That explains why the specific stuffed animal is being given, but I don’t know specifically why the couldn’t just give the medals too.

Asian cultures are big on giving gifts and they also go for rather silly looking cartoon type things that western cultures would associate with a more childish level as opposed to a more dignified mascot for the olympics. That explains why the specific stuffed animal is being given, but I don’t know specifically why the couldn’t just give the medals too.
The medals are given in another ceremony each night.

The medals are given in town each night. The stuffed animal (tiger mascot of the games) is given at the individual venues instead of the traditional flowers and medal.

The medals are given in town each night. The stuffed animal (tiger mascot of the games) is given at the individual venues instead of the traditional flowers and medal.

Rio was the first Olympics without the flowers as a Potemkin village show of being environmentally aware. In lieu of flowers, they gave the medal winners a sculpture of the Rio Games logo which was unrecognizable. One of the Japanese athletes was over heard on TV asking his teammates why they were given toothbrush holders. Given the enormous amount of resources wasted to build everything for the Olympics, the environmental impact of giving flowers is ludicrous.

Reactions: psu00
Rio was the first Olympics without the flowers as a Potemkin village show of being environmentally aware. In lieu of flowers, they gave the medal winners a sculpture of the Rio Games logo which was unrecognizable. One of the Japanese athletes was over heard on TV asking his teammates why they were given toothbrush holders. Given the enormous amount of resources wasted to build everything for the Olympics, the environmental impact of giving flowers is ludicrous.
Especially since the stuffed animals are made here:
Factory_in_China.jpg

I am aware, but I still don’t know why...
The Winter Olympics have for quite a long time given medals at night in a single ceremony as opposed to the Summer Olympics who could not with so many more events each day they hand them out at the Venues.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT