ADVERTISEMENT

oldest thing you own?

Not grandad's watch- something that you've had the longest?

I was digging in the back of a closet this morning and stumbled on my baseball glove- it was my second one, must have been from when I was between 12-14. I'm pretty sure it's now my oldest possession.

Torah Pointer from the 16th Century; It was given to me as a gift at my Bris (Brit Milah)

Last edited:
A school award from 2nd grade. Fink Elementary School Middletown Pa. circa 1971/1972.
I didn't know you were from Middletown. I was thinking mine was a baseball I won also in 2nd grade but at Grandview Elementary in Middletown, but then I remembered I recently found a brass buckled cowboy belt my Dad gave me when I was three. I was saving it to give to my youngest grandson who lived overseas. By the time he moved back to the US, he was too old for it. Oh well, I guess kids aren't allowed to play with cap guns these days anyways.

Reactions: brupsu
I didn't know you were from Middletown. I was thinking mine was a baseball I won also in 2nd grade but at Grandview Elementary in Middletown, but then I remembered I recently found a brass buckled cowboy belt my Dad gave me when I was three. I was saving it to give to my youngest grandson who lived overseas. By the time he moved back to the US, he was too old for it. Oh well, I guess kids aren't allowed to play with cap guns these days anyways.

Only lived there for a couple years. Early 1970s. Lived in the Pineford Village Apts.

Dad was Electrical Engineer who worked at TMI.

Survived Agnes in ‘72.

Reactions: brupsu and papa_ed
Just saw it at the bottom of my closet a few days ago. Baseball Cap from the Little League Team I played on in 1970 - Sunset Foods - Northbrook, Il. Either it shrank or my head went all Barry Bonds on me.

Just occurred to me.. my Dad's knife that he bought in Japan while on leave during the Korean War. So 1954 for me. Just that i didn't buy it personally... but it's still razor sharp and all mine now. :)

Reactions: brupsu and Fac
Probably my grandpa’s Shriner fez. He passed away in ‘63 when I was 5. He adored me. I have a few snapshot memories of him. One is sitting on his lap as he drove around Kingston and W-B in his car with the giant steering wheel. Every once in a while I take the fez out of its pouch and think about grandpa Eddie. Wish I had gotten to know him better.

I have my metal tonka tucks from early 70s
I gave all of my Tonka toys, and my older brothers as well (they gave them to me) to a little kid when I was like 12 or 13. My Mother was not happy that I did it. She used to bring that up quite often.

The only thing that jumps out to me is my original 1200's. I've had those for about 35 to 40 years?

Forgot to mention that 1200's are Panasonic Technics 1200's turntables.

Last edited:
My 1st bible (1962), I was 5 years old.
Its still the worlds #1 book best seller.
Think about it.
We'd be in a better place today if people tried to live as He wished us to, sought Him; recognized His son, and the Holy Church. (The People).
Then we would again be gracious and civil to each other, and the world a better place.

Just saw it at the bottom of my closet a few days ago. Baseball Cap from the Little League Team I played on in 1970 - Sunset Foods - Northbrook, Il. Either it shrank or my head went all Barry Bonds on me.
I ran past that very store this evening. Actually I doubt it’s in the same location ...

Only lived there for a couple years. Early 1970s. Lived in the Pineford Village Apts.

Dad was Electrical Engineer who worked at TMI.

Survived Agnes in ‘72.

Ro,

My wife and I lived in Pineford Village (Holly Hall) from 1974-1977 when we were first married. It's a small world we live in :)

I ran past that very store this evening. Actually I doubt it’s in the same location ...
Its in the same shopping center but I believe they moved across the street and took over the old Jewel Grocery store location. My brother used to work at the Baskin Robbins near there across from the Village Green and near Little Louis who had great Hot Dogs.

Ro,

My wife and I lived in Pineford Village (Holly Hall) from 1974-1977 when we were first married. It's a small world we live in :)

Nice. We were out of there by Aug 1973.

If you go down the hill past the convenience store and take the second left into the parking area There was a building on your left. We were in the back (non street) side the second door in. The first door was the upstairs apartment.

When Agnes hit we stayed in the high rise apartment because the river (which was just 200 yards away) had flooded half way up the parking lot submerging cars. So there was concern

Remember clear as a bell.

Now -ask me what I had for lunch yesterday. I won’t remember

Reactions: papa_ed and brupsu

I was digging in the back of a closet this morning and stumbled on my baseball glove- it was my second one, must have been from when I was between 12-14. I'm pretty sure it's now my oldest possession.
Toy soldiers and spacemen recovered from the yard of the house I grew up in.

Not including bibles, lunchbox thermos from the original Wild Wild West

Reminded me I have a Roy Rogers thermos. I also had the lunch box shaped like a chuck wagon. My mother put it in a too warm oven and melted the plastic handle. Lunch box is gone but the thermos is displayed.

Since some folks are going Civil War, I have a Soldier’s Field Manual from The Union Army. It belonged to a man from Lewistown, PA and was found in the back of an antique desk by a dealer friend of my grandmother. It’s pretty cool how different social norms were then.

Me personally, I have an original Tasha Tudor painting given to me by my maternal grandmother (image of it in publication below) when I was newly born in 1975. It now hangs in my son’s bedroom.

IMG_0007.jpg

A 1966 fastback mustang GT350 rotisserie clone that was built in Texas and a 1913 WWI trench fighting knife with brass knuckles that belonged to my grandfather.

A 62 year old brick from our family house in Berwyn PA. Retrieved it when the new owner who bought the house after my folks died knocked it down to build his new house. That 1958 all brick house was solidly built and it took a while to ta

A 62 year old brick from our family house in Berwyn PA. Retrieved it when the new owner who bought the house after my folks died knocked it down to build his new house. That 1958 all brick house was solidly built and it took a while to take it down

Reactions: Nitt1300
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT