ADVERTISEMENT

OK, honestly: Who on this board would have thought that McGloin would be a solid NFL QB?

You may have seen that MM had a great night completing like 18 of 24 passes for like 185 yards and 2 TD's. Although not official, he likely has solidified a #2 QB position over Ponder for the Raiders. OK, now think back about 4 years ago in his junior year (or even the year before) when mostly everyone was down on this kid and were calling for Bolden to keep or get the #1 spot @ QB. He has come a looong way since then, and his persistence, talent and coaching up by BOB has enabled him to make everyone at Penn State proud today! My question though is how many of you would have guessed this based on his Sophomore or Junior class game appearances?
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/316582/Christian-Ponder-beaten-out-by-Matt-McGloin

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

People like you annoy the hell out of me. Matt was TERRIBLE, I MEAN REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY TERRIBLE during his first two years. It was bad. Of course we weren't happy with his performance. The kid turned it around and became a legend and I am very thankful of his hard work and dedication. But make no mistake, he was really really bad his first two years. He was ridiculously good his last year.

There is nothing wrong with that opinion.

I'm constantly amazed by how negative some Penn State fans can be toward our own. The kid was a WALK ON. His original quarterback coach did everything in his power to stomp on the kid's confidence.

Only when Joe overruled his son because he wanted to win some games, did they even bother playing him consistently.

His Sophomore and Junior years, his position coach did everything possible to keep him from playing. He only got playing time after Joe intervened and made Jay play him. As I recall, Joe said he wanted to win games.

The "fans" here were almost gleeful when he got sucker punched at his locker and was knocked out and concussed. He deserved it was the general consensus from the board. It may have cost Penn State any chance at winning the bowl game that year. Funny that the guy who sucker punched him was shown the door by O'Brien, and has done nothing with his life but be trouble.

When a guy who knew how to coach quarterbacks showed up, the kid took off. In fact, O'Brien was quoted as saying he wished he had the kid for another year.

It is no surprise that the walk on from West Scranton is still being disrespected on this board. He's been cashing an NFL paycheck for a few years now. I'm happy for him.

Reactions: LionFan96
Not me. I still scratch my head while feeling great for him and his alma mater. NIKE should pay the young man a fortune because he "just does it".

I'm a big MM fan. Who wouldn't be? Just for the record, his preseason QB rating in 2013 was 66.3, in 2014 it was 89.7, and in 2015 its 110.6. Say what you will about the level of competition but that is why he is on an NFL roster and is a creditable back-up.

Reactions: EPC FAN
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

People like you annoy the hell out of me. Matt was TERRIBLE, I MEAN REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY TERRIBLE during his first two years. It was bad. Of course we weren't happy with his performance. The kid turned it around and became a legend and I am very thankful of his hard work and dedication. But make no mistake, he was really really bad his first two years. He was ridiculously good his last year.

There is nothing wrong with that opinion.
If I have annoyed you, it has been a good day.

Reactions: psugisher
He's not even a starter, let alone a "solid NFL QB." If being the 2nd string QB is all it takes to be a "solid NFL QB" then I guess Landry Jones is also a solid NFL QB. I guess we differ on that definition.

All that said, I am shocked he's an NFL caliber player. Good for him.

If I have annoyed you, it has been a good day.
I don't know how you can call him terrible. Here's the numbers - judge for yourself:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-mcgloin-1.html

As a RS FR in 2009, he was 0-2 passing. I guess that was terrible. In 2009 he was 118/215 for 1548 yards, 55%, 14 TD's and 9 picks. Terrible? It ain't All-American but playing half the time, I think that's kinda pretty good.

If any year was 'terrible' it would be his JR year, again splitting time with guys who truly WERE terrible:125/231 for 1571 yards, 54%, 8 TD's and 5 INT. With Billy around to actually coach and develop his skills in 2011, McG went 270/446, 3271 yards, 24 TD's and only 5 picks.

So in three years of playing, he had a great year, a good year, and a dull year. By no reasonable estimation, especially since the man was never a full-time starter until 2011, did he have a year that was terrible. What was terrible was the way he was mishandled. I don't criticize Jay's coaching of the other guys nearly as much as I blast him for ignoring a guy who was clearly better and stubbornly insisting that obviously inferior guys should play.

He's not even a starter, let alone a "solid NFL QB." If being the 2nd string QB is all it takes to be a "solid NFL QB" then I guess Landry Jones is also a solid NFL QB.

McGloin would take Laundry Jones, beat him up, take his lunch money, and stick him into a trash can head first. Jones sucks eggs. When pressed into service, McGloin has actually won games in the NFL. That is a terrible comparison.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
He's not even a starter, let alone a "solid NFL QB." If being the 2nd string QB is all it takes to be a "solid NFL QB" then I guess Landry Jones is also a solid NFL QB. I guess we differ on that definition.

All that said, I am shocked he's an NFL caliber player. Good for him.[/QUOTE

If Matt had listened to the fans on this board's assessment of him, and taken it to heart, he'd be with his West Scranton buddies driving over to Old Forge for some trays of pizza. He didn't, trusted in himself, and is about to cash a third seasons worth of NFL pay checks. I'm really happy for him. He's already made a million dollars, thank you very much.

Small sample size.. and its apparent where you stood in the Bolden-McGloin qb controversy and where you stand now. After McGloin's first start in a primetime game at home vs Michigan, many diminished his performance by saying it was a bad Michigan defense and anyone could've done what he did. This has been repeated over and over whenever Matt does something good by those that still think Rob Bolden and Paul Jones got screwed over.. You were wrong then and your passer rating statement that you keep repeating has a whopping 7 games of data. Peyton Manning's passer rating as a rookie was 72 with more picks than interceptions.

To address the OP, I was in McGloin's corner after that Michigan game. I have only wanted to leave a game early one time in my life. It was that Homecoming game vs Illinois where Rob Bolden couldn't do anything and the offense was dark years bad. Matt gave that team hope and a reason to keep showing up. I never thought he'd be an NFL qb, but I knew he should've been given first team reps and had been given a shot to show he should be the starter in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Everything McGloin does is earned. He earned a spot in the NFL and even when he's playing with his set of 9th stringers against Seattle's 9th stringers, he takes advantage of it.

Thank you so much! The Peyton Manning stat is spot on and speaks volumes. Does MM have anything resembling PM abilities? Hardly... and ez to bet the ranch he doesn't muster up that kind of career. I guess i see it like this.. had ponder been named #2, i'd wager most would have viewed him as a "solid" #2.... well, MM beat that big name fella out, so i'm cool anointing him as solid... as if it matters.

and as i've said before, i'm pretty sure the raiders (imo) don't think he can take them to a championship, and that is the #2 guy they want.. if carr goes down, they still want to have a shot. but since there aren't many #2 guys out there who can do that, they stick with a guy they know will always be ready and do a bang-up job.

McGloin would take Laundry Jones, beat him up, take his lunch money, and stick him into a trash can head first. Jones sucks eggs. When pressed into service, McGloin has actually won games in the NFL. That is a terrible comparison.

To you and MAJoepa: I love McGloin, and I'd take him in a heartbeat over Landry Jones. Maybe I didn't use the best example, but for me to call a guy a "solid NLF QB," he better be an average starter in the league, not a backup on one of the worst 5 teams in the league. If backup on one of the worst 5 teams in the league = "solid NFL QB", then what the heck is an NFL hanger-on?

I don't know how you can call him terrible. Here's the numbers - judge for yourself:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/matt-mcgloin-1.html

As a RS FR in 2009, he was 0-2 passing. I guess that was terrible. In 2009 he was 118/215 for 1548 yards, 55%, 14 TD's and 9 picks. Terrible? It ain't All-American but playing half the time, I think that's kinda pretty good.

If any year was 'terrible' it would be his JR year, again splitting time with guys who truly WERE terrible:125/231 for 1571 yards, 54%, 8 TD's and 5 INT. With Billy around to actually coach and develop his skills in 2011, McG went 270/446, 3271 yards, 24 TD's and only 5 picks.

So in three years of playing, he had a great year, a good year, and a dull year. By no reasonable estimation, especially since the man was never a full-time starter until 2011, did he have a year that was terrible. What was terrible was the way he was mishandled. I don't criticize Jay's coaching of the other guys nearly as much as I blast him for ignoring a guy who was clearly better and stubbornly insisting that obviously inferior guys should play.

Don't let the facts get in the way of the Bolden/Jones camp. They still can't wrap their heads around it and can't give the actual player the credit, giving all the credit to the QB whisperer Bill O'brien.. He also got all the first team reps with Billy for the first time. He's not getting the reps in Oakland, but he's always prepared, never has an issue with the playbook and is fearless in any situation. He's going to believe in himself and let if fly. It continues to pay off. Good, solid, whatever.. its semantics. He keeps getting better and has forced himself onto an NFL roster. If Carr goes down or stinks, Matt will be ready to play. Hope he gets some starts and has a real opportunity to prove himself.

I was in the McGloin camp over Bolden soon after the Alabama game. He was simply not getting better - and McGloin could lead the team down the field. I caught a lot of flak for it, because some people simply could not open their eyes to Bolden's lack of progress, but in the end, McGloin was the better quarterback for PSU at the time.

As far as his NFL career, he has managed to stay a solid #2 QB, and I think he even started a couple of games in his rookie year. He has beaten out other QBs for the position, so if nothing else, he appears to be firmly entrenched on the roster. I hope he does get his chance, and I hope he makes the most of it when it happens.

I was in the McGloin camp over Bolden soon after the Alabama game. He was simply not getting better - and McGloin could lead the team down the field. I caught a lot of flak for it, because some people simply could not open their eyes to Bolden's lack of progress, but in the end, McGloin was the better quarterback for PSU at the time.

As far as his NFL career, he has managed to stay a solid #2 QB, and I think he even started a couple of games in his rookie year. He has beaten out other QBs for the position, so if nothing else, he appears to be firmly entrenched on the roster. I hope he does get his chance, and I hope he makes the most of it when it happens.
I do remember that you were an early McGloin supporter.

You may have seen that MM had a great night completing like 18 of 24 passes for like 185 yards and 2 TD's. Although not official, he likely has solidified a #2 QB position over Ponder for the Raiders. OK, now think back about 4 years ago in his junior year (or even the year before) when mostly everyone was down on this kid and were calling for Bolden to keep or get the #1 spot @ QB. He has come a looong way since then, and his persistence, talent and coaching up by BOB has enabled him to make everyone at Penn State proud today! My question though is how many of you would have guessed this based on his Sophomore or Junior class game appearances?
I thought he had a real good chance because he was an exceptional three sport athlete. He had great leadership traits, balance, feet, a live and accurate arm[ boarders kept saying he had a weak arm while he was regularly overthrowing Moo Moo on streak patterns.] Moo Moo was super fast and never out ran McGloin's throws.
He was also very smart and tough. I'm very happy for him. He deserves everything he gets. The treatment he got from the board was a real low point for us.
People who put down our kids were never great athletes because they would have learned respect.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
I'm constantly amazed by how negative some Penn State fans can be toward our own. The kid was a WALK ON. His original quarterback coach did everything in his power to stomp on the kid's confidence.

Only when Joe overruled his son because he wanted to win some games, did they even bother playing him consistently.

His Sophomore and Junior years, his position coach did everything possible to keep him from playing. He only got playing time after Joe intervened and made Jay play him. As I recall, Joe said he wanted to win games.

The "fans" here were almost gleeful when he got sucker punched at his locker and was knocked out and concussed. He deserved it was the general consensus from the board. It may have cost Penn State any chance at winning the bowl game that year. Funny that the guy who sucker punched him was shown the door by O'Brien, and has done nothing with his life but be trouble.

When a guy who knew how to coach quarterbacks showed up, the kid took off. In fact, O'Brien was quoted as saying he wished he had the kid for another year.

It is no surprise that the walk on from West Scranton is still being disrespected on this board. He's been cashing an NFL paycheck for a few years now. I'm happy for him.
Truly excellent post...full of fact and understanding. Did my heart good. "Truth is beauty."

Reactions: EPC FAN
Don't let the facts get in the way of the Bolden/Jones camp. They still can't wrap their heads around it and can't give the actual player the credit, giving all the credit to the QB whisperer Bill O'brien.. He also got all the first team reps with Billy for the first time. He's not getting the reps in Oakland, but he's always prepared, never has an issue with the playbook and is fearless in any situation. He's going to believe in himself and let if fly. It continues to pay off. Good, solid, whatever.. its semantics. He keeps getting better and has forced himself onto an NFL roster. If Carr goes down or stinks, Matt will be ready to play. Hope he gets some starts and has a real opportunity to prove himself.

No doubt, McGloin made plays and Bolden simply did not -- Matt's first meaningful action was proof positive of that. Beyond absurd to act like FLO identified McGloin as PSU's best starting talent -- that was done 2 seasons before FLO, but let's not let FACTS get in the way of our stories. McGloin would have never seen the field if it were up to most of these know-it-all loudmouths because he didn't have enough talent to start for most quality DIII schools let alone a DI-A team and he certainly shouldn't be taking time from a more talented scholarship DI-A player.....yada, yada, yada. Gee, a small fraction of DI-A players make it to the NFL and an even smaller fraction sticks on an NFL Roster, but this isn't strong evidence that McGloin was PSU's most talented signal caller back in 2010 and PSU's staff made the correct decision regarding benching Bolden??? So let me get this straight, McGloin has PROVEN he has NFL TALENT (been in the league 3 years at this point, has beaten out how many 1st Round DI-A picks at this point?, has beaten out how many other DI-A QBs at the NFL Level?, etc...), but McGloin didn't even have DII talent according to the know-it-alls back in 2010??? How's that freaking possible? Again, McGloin was already a two-year starter when FLO got here and to claim that FLO gave McGloin NFL Talent is laughable both in regards to McGloin and in the manner it demonstrates these nimrods absurd "knob polishing" of FLO.as if he can make bad, talentless players NFL QBs.....LMFAO at these supposed "football savants" that are nothing more than loudmouthed, never-wrong, know-nothing @sshats.

I was all in favor of McGloin starting at PSU over Bolden, Newsome, Jones, etc. since Michigan in 2010. I though he was the best we had regardless of stars, scholarships. However I never saw him as anything but training camp fodder in the 2013 training camps. I tip my hat to the man for lasting this long in the NFL, particularly when you look at what has happened to his contemporaries, e.g. Pryor, EJ Manuel, Matt Barkley.

My question though is how many of you would have guessed this based on his Sophomore or Junior class game appearances?

No way. But I would have expected a lot of improvement from his junior to senior year at PSU.

No doubt, McGloin made plays and Bolden simply did not -- Matt's first meaningful action was proof positive of that. Beyond absurd to act like FLO identified McGloin as PSU's best starting talent -- that was done 2 seasons before FLO, but let's not let FACTS get in the way of our stories. McGloin would have never seen the field if it were up to most of these know-it-all loudmouths because he didn't have enough talent to start for most quality DIII schools let alone a DI-A team and he certainly shouldn't be taking time from a more talented scholarship DI-A player.....yada, yada, yada. Gee, a small fraction of DI-A players make it to the NFL and an even smaller fraction sticks on an NFL Roster, but this isn't strong evidence that McGloin was PSU's most talented signal caller back in 2010 and PSU's staff made the correct decision regarding benching Bolden??? So let me get this straight, McGloin has PROVEN he has NFL TALENT (been in the league 3 years at this point, has beaten out how many 1st Round DI-A picks at this point?, has beaten out how many other DI-A QBs at the NFL Level?, etc...), but McGloin didn't even have DII talent according to the know-it-alls back in 2010??? How's that freaking possible? Again, McGloin was already a two-year starter when FLO got here and to claim that FLO gave McGloin NFL Talent is laughable both in regards to McGloin and in the manner it demonstrates these nimrods absurd "knob polishing" of FLO.as if he can make bad, talentless players NFL QBs.....LMFAO at these supposed "football savants" that are nothing more than loudmouthed, never-wrong, know-nothing @sshats.
Bush, man. Calm down. Don't blow a fuse.

I thought Jay did an excellent job with two of our quarterbacks through the years. Other guys were not that hot and Bill Walsh couldn't make them into good players. But he absolutely missed the boat with MM. You're right - by his RS So. year he was clearly the best option. But for some unfathomable reason, Jay insisted on farting around with other guys who couldn't play for doo-doo. And if Jay were still here in 2012, he would STILL have been trying to play guys who couldn't QB their way out of a paper bag.

OB gets here and about five minutes later says McGloin is going to play and you other guys are going to change positions or sit. Three guys take off for parts unknown and are never heard from again. Now MM gets the practice time and the starts and he's not looking over his shoulder wondering when the circus is going to start.

OB is a coach, not a savant. Obviously MM had the talent. But it was unquestionably OB that recognized and developed it and then decided to actually use it. You gotta give him some credit. If MM had a fourth year with the previous administration, he's be working for Sears, not drawing an NFL paycheck.

No way. But I would have expected a lot of improvement from his junior to senior year at PSU.

Yes, exactly. Experience tends to make players better regardless of pure talent level. McGloin proved he was the best QB on the roster about midway through the 2010 season. 2011 was his first full-year as a starter. It should shock nobody that he got progressively better in 2012 especially given McGloin's work-ethic and dedication (he's a "grinder" whose best asset is his competitive fire and "never quit" attitude - he is not going to be out-worked and gets everything out of his talent-level). It should surprise nobody that he was even better in 2012 than he was in his first year as a starter -- what is amusing is that these same people make every excuse in the book for Hack's numbers his first couple years and claim that this experience will add up to a break-out season this year (let's face it, Hack's numbers are not all that impressive his first 2-years especially in regards to accuracy - e.g., completion pct, INTs per attempts, TD/INT ratio, etc...). Giving credit to FLO for making McGloin who he is today is beyond absurd, but fairly typical of the FLO knob-polishers who are bigger FLO fans than they are PSU fans.

Why anyone would not expect McGloin to get progressively better in 2012 is rather amusing but more likely just a rationalization and "spin" that makes them feel better about themselves rather than admit that they were dead-wrong about McGloin and the prior PSU staff saying that he was the best QB on PSU's roster all the way back in 2009.

To you and MAJoepa: I love McGloin, and I'd take him in a heartbeat over Landry Jones. Maybe I didn't use the best example, but for me to call a guy a "solid NLF QB," he better be an average starter in the league, not a backup on one of the worst 5 teams in the league. If backup on one of the worst 5 teams in the league = "solid NFL QB", then what the heck is an NFL hanger-on?
I really don't understand what him being a walkon here has to do with him being a "solid" NFL QB. We all are rooting for him, but I wouldn't say right now he is SOLID.
Bush, man. Calm down. Don't blow a fuse.

I thought Jay did an excellent job with two of our quarterbacks through the years. Other guys were not that hot and Bill Walsh couldn't make them into good players. But he absolutely missed the boat with MM. You're right - by his RS So. year he was clearly the best option. But for some unfathomable reason, Jay insisted on farting around with other guys who couldn't play for doo-doo. And if Jay were still here in 2012, he would STILL have been trying to play guys who couldn't QB their way out of a paper bag.

OB gets here and about five minutes later says McGloin is going to play and you other guys are going to change positions or sit. Three guys take off for parts unknown and are never heard from again. Now MM gets the practice time and the starts and he's not looking over his shoulder wondering when the circus is going to start.

OB is a coach, not a savant. Obviously MM had the talent. But it was unquestionably OB that recognized and developed it and then decided to actually use it. You gotta give him some credit. If MM had a fourth year with the previous administration, he's be working for Sears, not drawing an NFL paycheck.

That is why I have Bushwood CC on ignore.

No idea but I knew for sure he should have started over Bolden. Jay wanted his guy but it was a mistake. Great senior year at Penn State on and off the field.

No idea but I knew for sure he should have started over Bolden. Jay wanted his guy but it was a mistake. Great senior year at Penn State on and off the field.

How amusing, yea all the board loudmouths were calling for "McMoxie" to be starting over Bolden, but it's Jay Paterno who wouldn't acquiesce to their demands??? You re-creationists are amusing if nothing else....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT