ADVERTISEMENT

OK, honestly: Who on this board would have thought that McGloin would be a solid NFL QB?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You may have seen that MM had a great night completing like 18 of 24 passes for like 185 yards and 2 TD's. Although not official, he likely has solidified a #2 QB position over Ponder for the Raiders. OK, now think back about 4 years ago in his junior year (or even the year before) when mostly everyone was down on this kid and were calling for Bolden to keep or get the #1 spot @ QB. He has come a looong way since then, and his persistence, talent and coaching up by BOB has enabled him to make everyone at Penn State proud today! My question though is how many of you would have guessed this based on his Sophomore or Junior class game appearances?

I never would have. I'm still not convinced he's an NFL qb, but apparently it's happening.

You may have seen that MM had a great night completing like 18 of 24 passes for like 185 yards and 2 TD's. Although not official, he likely has solidified a #2 QB position over Ponder for the Raiders. OK, now think back about 4 years ago in his junior year (or even the year before) when mostly everyone was down on this kid and were calling for Bolden to keep or get the #1 spot @ QB. He has come a looong way since then, and his persistence, talent and coaching up by BOB has enabled him to make everyone at Penn State proud today! My question though is how many of you would have guessed this based on his Sophomore or Junior class game appearances?
I'll take my crow well-done - crispy.

This man has his hand raised. He may have been the only one.

matt-mcgloin-bill-obrien-c76fa2260934bf00.jpg

Reactions: N&B4PSU and LionJim
Since when is McGloin a "solid" NFL QB. He's not a starting QB... not even a "crappy" starting QB in the NFL. I wish him all the best, and he's the best NFL QB from PSU since Kerry Collins, but that doesn't make him a "solid" NFL QB.

Since when is McGloin a "solid" NFL QB. He's not a starting QB... not even a "crappy" starting QB in the NFL. I wish him all the best, and he's the best NFL QB from PSU since Kerry Collins, but that doesn't make him a "solid" NFL QB.

Because he threw 2 TD passes last night against Seattle's 9th stringers. The guy is a good preseason QB, but again his career numbers are average at best.

Passer rating of 76 is pretty bad to be honest.

I am grateful fo him and root for him, but some of you worship him.

Let me rephrase this, he is a solid #2 NFL QB

Reactions: N&B4PSU
he has as many INT as TD, His QB Rating is 76, He is an adequate backup, but solid? I don't know yet.
I'm constantly amazed by how negative some Penn State fans can be toward our own. The kid was a WALK ON. His original quarterback coach did everything in his power to stomp on the kid's confidence.

Only when Joe overruled his son because he wanted to win some games, did they even bother playing him consistently.

His Sophomore and Junior years, his position coach did everything possible to keep him from playing. He only got playing time after Joe intervened and made Jay play him. As I recall, Joe said he wanted to win games.

The "fans" here were almost gleeful when he got sucker punched at his locker and was knocked out and concussed. He deserved it was the general consensus from the board. It may have cost Penn State any chance at winning the bowl game that year. Funny that the guy who sucker punched him was shown the door by O'Brien, and has done nothing with his life but be trouble.

When a guy who knew how to coach quarterbacks showed up, the kid took off. In fact, O'Brien was quoted as saying he wished he had the kid for another year.

It is no surprise that the walk on from West Scranton is still being disrespected on this board. He's been cashing an NFL paycheck for a few years now. I'm happy for him.

I am surprised that he is an adequate number 2.

I would not have thought that he could make a CFL or Indoor Football Team after his Junior Year.

Impressed as hell that he will draw a pension from the LEAGUE.

Reactions: Jerademan74
Was always one of his most vocal supporters, even when he was playing poorly.....and no way did I ever think he'd get invited to a camp, let alone ever get into a pre-season game, let alone make a roster, let alone see action in an NFL regular season game and, to top it off, still be in the NFL going now into his third year. Never dreamed any of that.....but Matt did and that's what mattered.

At times he frustrated us and rubbed us the wrong way, a little too much maybe "in your face" for a PSU player. But his ultra competitiveness and his will to win eventually won over even those who stomped on him after the Florida game.

The kid's got spunk, he's worked his butt off, he's gotten more out of his pretty average natural abilities than I'm sure 95% of us here on the Board have, it's just a great great story that probably isn't all that rare in everyday life but is exceptionally rare in professional sports.

He always had my respect and eventually earned my utmost admiration. His press conference comments dissing the Big 10(14) should be posted at the top of this Board.

Let me rephrase this, he is a solid #2 NFL QB
I'll still have to eat crow, whether he's a solid, adequate or Sh*! back-up. I did not think that he had the physical attributes to make a team in the NFL. Never did I underestimate his football intelligence, just did not think it would be enough. I am glad to be wrong.

I'm constantly amazed by how negative some Penn State fans can be toward our own. The kid was a WALK ON. His original quarterback coach did everything in his power to stomp on the kid's confidence.

Only when Joe overruled his son because he wanted to win some games, did they even bother playing him consistently.

His Sophomore and Junior years, his position coach did everything possible to keep him from playing. He only got playing time after Joe intervened and made Jay play him. As I recall, Joe said he wanted to win games.

The "fans" here were almost gleeful when he got sucker punched at his locker and was knocked out and concussed. He deserved it was the general consensus from the board. It may have cost Penn State any chance at winning the bowl game that year. Funny that the guy who sucker punched him was shown the door by O'Brien, and has done nothing with his life but be trouble.

When a guy who knew how to coach quarterbacks showed up, the kid took off. In fact, O'Brien was quoted as saying he wished he had the kid for another year.

It is no surprise that the walk on from West Scranton is still being disrespected on this board. He's been cashing an NFL paycheck for a few years now. I'm happy for him.

I really don't understand what him being a walkon here has to do with him being a "solid" NFL QB. We all are rooting for him, but I wouldn't say right now he is SOLID.

Because he threw 2 TD passes last night against Seattle's 9th stringers. The guy is a good preseason QB, but again his career numbers are average at best.

Passer rating of 76 is pretty bad to be honest.

I am grateful fo him and root for him, but some of you worship him.

Small sample size.. and its apparent where you stood in the Bolden-McGloin qb controversy and where you stand now. After McGloin's first start in a primetime game at home vs Michigan, many diminished his performance by saying it was a bad Michigan defense and anyone could've done what he did. This has been repeated over and over whenever Matt does something good by those that still think Rob Bolden and Paul Jones got screwed over.. You were wrong then and your passer rating statement that you keep repeating has a whopping 7 games of data. Peyton Manning's passer rating as a rookie was 72 with more picks than interceptions.

To address the OP, I was in McGloin's corner after that Michigan game. I have only wanted to leave a game early one time in my life. It was that Homecoming game vs Illinois where Rob Bolden couldn't do anything and the offense was dark years bad. Matt gave that team hope and a reason to keep showing up. I never thought he'd be an NFL qb, but I knew he should've been given first team reps and had been given a shot to show he should be the starter in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Everything McGloin does is earned. He earned a spot in the NFL and even when he's playing with his set of 9th stringers against Seattle's 9th stringers, he takes advantage of it.

I thought he was a good college quarterback, top half, maybe even top third. And he was clearly by far the best option we had here. Much better player than the guy who threw sidearm or the guy who threw the ball in the dirt. And while Jay did a terrific, fabulous job with MRob and DC, he was flat out awful and completely blew it with the other guys in general and MMcG in particular.

I thought he would be - maybe - an extra arm in NFL minicamp, and then get on with his life's work. Never did I think I was looking at a guy who would play, let alone start, let alone WIN in the NFL. He's been great and I hope he can hang around till he's 40.

Reactions: Jerademan74

Amen to that.

FYI-Interesting McGloin article

By Rich Winter

Every time Matt McGloin steps on the field, good things happen for the Oakland Raiders. McGloin was superb in pre-season game No. 4, completing 16-24 passes for 189 yards and (2) TD's.

While there has been no official word from the Oakland Raiders, it's time to forget about Christian Ponder and his relationships with OC Bill Musgrave and OL coach Mike Tice.

Oakland Raiders preseason QB stats:

Derek Carr: 28 - 51 - 334 yards, (0) TD's, (2) int - Rating 58.8

Matt McGloin: 42-57 - 424 yards, (4) TD's, (1) int, 1 sack - Rating 110.6

Christian Ponder: 22- 35 - 245 yards (1) TD, (1) INT, sacked (5) times, rating 81.2

While the conversation of moving Matt McGloin into the starting role has been rumbling around Raider Nation this week, that's not going to happen, despite stats that suggest McGloin could be the man.

That said, the Raiders seemed to have already made that decision by giving McGloin more looks in the last two preseason games. Seems like in practice, Ponder out-does McGloin, but come game time, the gamer, comes out and performs.

Christian Ponder - For a guy that is a game manager anyway, not liking the idea that Ponder has been sacked five times in the pre-season.

McGloin - This guy has shown enough of the IT factor that it's time he gets promoted to No. 2. If the Raiders do need help with the backup QB, do you want a sketchy Ponder or a gamer in McGloin?

I love how people use preseason stats to claim who should be #1.

Joe Webb should start in Carolina, Brock Osweiler should start in Denver, and Brett Hundley should start in Green Bay.

Whether you want to call him good, solid, lousy or whatever, it really doesn't matter and I don't know why somebody here is obsessed with labeling him. Bottom line, he's on a 53-man roster in the NFL, which is a better gig than 99% of us here have. My wife is from the Scranton area and an autographed picture of Matt with my family proudly hangs in my den.

I really don't understand what him being a walkon here has to do with him being a "solid" NFL QB. We all are rooting for him, but I wouldn't say right now he is SOLID.

MD152 is that you? He was an MM hater to the nth degree. I think he actually enjoyed it when Matt lost a game.

Reactions: EPC FAN
I'll still have to eat crow, whether he's a solid, adequate or Sh*! back-up. I did not think that he had the physical attributes to make a team in the NFL. Never did I underestimate his football intelligence, just did not think it would be enough. I am glad to be wrong.
According to this site below, McGloin's current salary is $585K . He's in the 3rd yr. of a 3 year contract.
" Matt McGloin signed a 3 year, $1,485,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including an average annual salary of $495,000. In 2015, McGloin will earn a base salary of $585,000. McGloin has a cap hit of $585,000".

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/matt-mcgloin/

So who would EVER have guessed this would happen? My guess is that he could be signing a multi-million dollar contract after this season. Call Matt what you want, I call him a winner!

During his junior year, I would have said no way would he have ever sniffed an NFL contract even as practice fodder during training camp time. But the way he was transformed his senior year, I am not surprised that he is on an NFL roster.

According to this site below, McGloin's current salary is $585K . He's in the 3rd yr. of a 3 year contract.
" Matt McGloin signed a 3 year, $1,485,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including an average annual salary of $495,000. In 2015, McGloin will earn a base salary of $585,000. McGloin has a cap hit of $585,000".

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/matt-mcgloin/

So who would EVER have guessed this would happen? My guess is that he could be signing a multi-million dollar contract after this season. Call Matt what you want, I call him a winner!

Nobody is signing him to that big of a contract. Please look at his NFL CAREER NUMBERS. He will stay on a team as a adequate #2 or #3 under one year contracts. Which is good for him.

But please stop with this notion that a team is going to sign him to be their savior.

By Rich Winter

Every time Matt McGloin steps on the field, good things happen for the Oakland Raiders. McGloin was superb in pre-season game No. 4, completing 16-24 passes for 189 yards and (2) TD's.

While there has been no official word from the Oakland Raiders, it's time to forget about Christian Ponder and his relationships with OC Bill Musgrave and OL coach Mike Tice.

Christian Ponder: 22- 35 - 245 yards (1) TD, (1) INT, sacked (5) times, rating 81.2

While the conversation of moving Matt McGloin into the starting role has been rumbling around Raider Nation this week, that's not going to happen, despite stats that suggest McGloin could be the man.

That said, the Raiders seemed to have already made that decision by giving McGloin more looks in the last two preseason games. Seems like in practice, Ponder out-does McGloin, but come game time, the gamer, comes out and performs.

Christian Ponder - For a guy that is a game manager anyway, not liking the idea that Ponder has been sacked five times in the pre-season.

McGloin - This guy has shown enough of the IT factor that it's time he gets promoted to No. 2. If the Raiders do need help with the backup QB, do you want a sketchy Ponder or a gamer in McGloin?

By Rich Winter

I don't care who you are playing with or against, 42 of 57 is pretty darn good.

why are you surprised? Unitas was the biggest surprise in NFL history!

Nobody is signing him to that big of a contract. Please look at his NFL CAREER NUMBERS. He will stay on a team as a adequate #2 or #3 under one year contracts. Which is good for him.

But please stop with this notion that a team is going to sign him to be their savior.
OK, he signed as a free agent for ~ $1.5 Million for 3 years. So, he has proven he can be at worse a good #3 and realistically a good #2 (if not starter ). A multi-million contract would be another 3 year contract at just under $700K per year. He is now paid $585 / year. Multi-million means more than 1. He doesn't have to be the "savior" for this, but he possibly could be a #1 if given the chance.

Nobody is signing him to that big of a contract.

So far McGloin has outlasted Matt Schaub, Terrell's Pryor, and Matt Flynn. After this year, he may add Christian Ponder to that list. If you ask me, the Raiders would be foolish not to resign him given the revolving door there at QB. If so, he will easily make more than $1 million per year, so depends on the length of his contract, but not unreasonable to get a multi- million dollar contract. Maybe not multimillion per year, but multimillion nonetheless. If not in Oakland, then B'OB may have interest as a backup.

Again it's Jays fault !!

Great post on all accounts.

Matt is going to be a great coach after he retires if that's what he wants to do. He's had to fight for everything and absorb information like a sponge to make up for some physical shortcomings - those are the guys who become the better coaches. I hope he comes back to coach at PSU.

And this is one of the best interviews of all time:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT