ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St's OL may be a weakness to exploit

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
They lost 1st rd (#6 pick overall) OT Paris Johnson, 4th rd OT Dawand Jones, and 6th rd OC Like Wypler. That's a lot of solid talent lost. Whereas we only lost 2nd rd OC Scruggs and have a very logical replacement that was an off and on starter last year.

Other losses for the Buckeyes include 1st rd (#2 overall) QB CJ Stroud and 1st rd WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (they might be even better at WR this year though). Also 3rd rd DE Zach Harrison (they are fine at DE as well). Safety Ronnie Hickman, defensive back Tanner McCalister, defensive tackle Jerron Cage and cornerback Cameron Brown also signed as undrafted free agents.

I think the best chance to beat the buckeyes is with pressure. If a DL can overwhelm their relatively new OL and force their new QB to make quick decisions before their elite WRs have much chance at separation, then you can keep their offence in check. They are still going to score points. But keeping them in the 20s or 30s gives you a chance to win.

I like that we get them mid-year (game 7) and not last like Michigan does. I'd like it more if it were at Beaver stadium or in game 4 like Notre Dame. I think Ohio St's weak early 3 games will help them somewhat mitigate their weakness but Notre Dame has a chance to really exploit it as their first real competition. I think they could have it worked out by the time they go to Michigan but Michigan bullied even their NFL linemen, so who knows.

OS will probably muddle thru.

22 class was 4th rated in US.
21 class was 2nd rated.
20 class was 5th rated.

Yeah, I know, those ratings are meaningless.
But they are all big and fast, as in, for real.

Reactions: SR108

21 class was 2nd rated.
20 class was 5th rated.

Yep, they reload pretty well. Not saying that we can’t beat them, we usually play them pretty good, but not sure they have any real weaknesses.

Yep, they reload pretty well. Not saying that we can’t beat them, we usually play them pretty good, but not sure they have any real weaknesses.
Their defense - as usual. It's cost them bigtime the last 3 or 4 years

Their defense - as usual. It's cost them bigtime the last 3 or 4 years
Yes, I agree their defense could be suspect relatively speaking. And we have talent galore on offense with a good O -Line. Also wonder about McCord and how good he will be. Remember they have gone from Fields to Stroud, two top NFL picks, this seems like a bit of a drop off although admittedly I am no expert on their QB situation. We will see. Game is in Columbus where Franklin has never won.

Yes, I agree their defense could be suspect relatively speaking. And we have talent galore on offense with a good O -Line. Also wonder about McCord and how good he will be. Remember they have gone from Fields to Stroud, two top NFL picks, this seems like a bit of a drop off although admittedly I am no expert on their QB situation. We will see. Game is in Columbus where Franklin has never won.
Likewise, I'm no authority on McCord but for him to stick around 3 years with the talent they've had at QB - and their coaches wanting him to (I assume) - tells me he's going to be really, really good.

I also read on Eleven Warriors that UM's McCarthy wanted to go to OSU but their coaching staff slow-played him waiting on McCord's commitment which really POd McCarthy and resulted in him committing to Michigan. Not sure how true that is. But again, if OSU can even field a good HS caliber defense for a change, they'll be a LOAD. That's a big if considering their Mickey Mouse defenses of the last few years.

Likewise, I'm no authority on McCord but for him to stick around 3 years with the talent they've had at QB - and their coaches wanting him to (I assume) - tells me he's going to be really, really good.

I also read on Eleven Warriors that UM's McCarthy wanted to go to OSU but their coaching staff slow-played him waiting on McCord's commitment which really POd McCarthy and resulted in him committing to Michigan. Not sure how true that is. But again, if OSU can even field a good HS caliber defense for a change, they'll be a LOAD. That's a big if considering their Mickey Mouse defenses of the last few years.
I guess the question is if Knowles can continue to improve the D. I just looked it up and OSU was 59th in total defense in 2021 the year prior to Knowles arriving and improved to 14th in 2022, his first year. Big improvement. Last year they were lousy vs Michigan and Georgia but I guess decent against all others.

If McCord is just a continuation of their elite QB pipeline with no drop off as you suggest combined with those WRs and other skill position talent then they will put up points in bunches. That offense will cover up a lot of defensive warts.

I guess the question is if Knowles can continue to improve the D. I just looked it up and OSU was 59th in total defense in 2021 the year prior to Knowles arriving and improved to 14th in 2022, his first year. Big improvement. Last year they were lousy vs Michigan and Georgia but I guess decent against all others.
That rating last year was kind of misleading as they put up decent defensive stats against weaker teams but couldn't stop offenses with a pulse. Just not sold on the 2023 OSU defense. As for continuing to improve, I want to see it first.

21 class was 2nd rated.
20 class was 5th rated.

Just opinion until we see it on the field vs OSU, but I think the talent gap is narrowing.

Take the 2022 class -- OSU ranked 4th and PSU was ranked 7th. I've seen Allar, Singleton, and Abdul Carter play -- are there 3 better players in the OSU class?

7th game of the year -- can't wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT