ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Ohio State dual - Fri, Feb 2

We talk so much crap about OSU, but they battled tonight and this looks like a trophy team the next few years and maybe already this year too. I was impressed with what they brought tonight!

That all said, I’m glad PSU had these challenges in February and still mostly overcame the adversity. Excited for the next one!

Yeah, and Rogotzke got that position via an escape (without separation) after getting taken down for the 3rd time.
I was surprised by that….have to see it on tv Watching it live seems like one of those positions the bottom man has to make a decision to let riding time rack up or break away.

Truax got caught with the same move Bryce Andonian hit Levi Haines with at NCAAs last year.

Was a simple over-under. Truax went over quite easy, so he must have been off-balance (usually caused by opponent resisting... then allowing him to drive forward and turning him as he moves forward.

Reactions: donboy6499
Coaches watching Truax get pinned. Rare indication of concern on Cael's face.

417396876_10159770686350812_6505899144234674724_n.jpg

Once you realize as a fan that you have no control over the outcome it makes it somewhat easier to handle adversity. I still get pissed but not like I did when I was younger.
I'm catching onto that realization. Give it a couple more years lol

Kasak has already jumped levels if you consider where he was earlier this year.

Early on he was a bit rough. The bump up to 149 has served him well. I'm sold.

Next year Levi RS on his way to 74. Kasak mans 57 with SVN back at 49.
I think Van Ness goes to 57

We talk so much crap about OSU, but they battled tonight and this looks like a trophy team the next few years and maybe already this year too. I was impressed with what they brought tonight!

That all said, I’m glad PSU had these challenges in February and still mostly overcame the adversity. Excited for the next one!
Not this year. They're a better duals team than tournament team. Only Mendez has a chance at the finals, and he's their only AA lock. IMO Feldman and Bouzakis should place but aren't locks. Welsh has a shot with the right draw. Rogotzke maybe, but could be an early out if he gets guys who have faced him before.

They'll also not score much bonus other than Mendez, Rogotzke, and maybe Bouzakis.

Maybe next year if Sasso can return and is near what he was, and everybody else has another year of experience. Especially if Birden is ready for 165 and Davino is ready (which would also require at least Mendez moving up).

It’s so much bullshit. I couldn’t believe how often it worked in high school and I’m still annoyed it works here. It shouldn’t work!
We loved it when Bo would hit similar moves . So many college kids wrestle with a conservative and safe mindset. Pinners don't have any issues trying different moves. Bo even mentioned that "he was doing that move since he was a 10?"😏

Joking about Iowa aside, we have plenty to work on from this dual. 125, 133, 165, 184 definitely have a lot of coaching points.

Not this year. They're a better duals team than tournament team. Only Mendez has a chance at the finals, and he's their only AA lock. IMO Feldman and Bouzakis should place but aren't locks. Welsh has a shot with the right draw. Rogotzke maybe, but could be an early out if he gets guys who have faced him before.

They'll also not score much bonus other than Mendez, Rogotzke, and maybe Bouzakis.

Maybe next year if Sasso can return and is near what he was, and everybody else has another year of experience. Especially if Birden is ready for 165 and Davino is ready (which would also require at least Mendez moving up).
From what I hear Sasso will be a long shot to return to his prior abilities 😒

Last edited:
Fun dual. It seemed like this was the one where they come out flat every year and with Iowa it seems like they might have been looking ahead to the trip to Iowa. Davis didn't attack for some reason, Nagao and Bernie were sloppy and Carter didn't seem bothered (even though Welsh didn't exactly engage him). The biggest positives were Beau and especially Kasak. I feel like 9-1 is likely against Iowa with the possibility of a shutout if Beau keeps wrestling as smart as he did tonight.

Fair enough, yea I was pleased with the performance. Tough break at 125, but I always told my wrestlers you can't complain if you leave it in the hands of the official.
Yeah and I definitely respect that attitude but on the flip side, it's also the officials job to get it right and I think you have a consensus on this Penn State board that it wasn't correct.

Definitely curious to see if Kilkeary is the guy going forward, great wrestler. Always love seeing PA kids do well.

I pointed to a friend, Davis seemingly had dark circles under his eyes, aka the "bad cut" sign. Cael mentioned one reason he was pulled this year is he is not going to be a 125 for long. He wrestled 138 (though that was for the challenge) his last year in HS so I imagine he's at least 10 over if not more.

Reactions: fronk71
Once you realize as a fan that you have no control over the outcome it makes it somewhat easier to handle adversity. I still get pissed but not like I did when I was younger.
Not me. I’m still into serious ranting and raving when watching sports on TV. I get scolded by my wife sometimes for my outbursts. But everyone posting here knows we don’t watch sports because we want to see something that is boring.

I haven't heard anything other than what's public, but that wouldn't be surprising.

The fact that he has recovered to a normal life so quickly, is by itself fantastic news. If he is ever able to resume wrestling at any level, is a bonus.
He was in the hand shake line after the match.
Walking with very noticeable limp.

• Sad
Reactions: fronk71 and mcpat
I pointed to a friend, Davis seemingly had dark circles under his eyes, aka the "bad cut" sign. Cael mentioned one reason he was pulled this year is he is not going to be a 125 for long. He wrestled 138 (though that was for the challenge) his last year in HS so I imagine he's at least 10 over if not more.
He wrestled THREE matches at 138 last year. He wrestled 126 for most of the year, as late as 2/3, then went up to 132 for the postseason.

He definitely did not weigh in remotely near 138 for either of those matches. One was on 12/21; he was at 126 for a tourney on 12/29. The other two were on 1/11; he wrestled 126 on 1/14.

His full match list is on Track.

Last edited:
funniest thing about the meet - Cael doesn't even raise an eyebrow when Davis gets that first TD. The ref was right there, and the tv angle was opposite, so I wonder if Davis had the leg the entire time, thus no TD awarded.
Nagao will be fine. Good win for Kasak. MM working on things. Truax still needs to sharpen his blade.
Thought OSU did a great job with neutral wrist control - although it turned into fingers too often. They're going to be tough the next few years. Can't stand TanTom always crying... rubs me the wrong way

I love how the wrestling media acts like OSU freshman are some amazing group that will rule the Big Ten in a year or 2.

Give me Davis, Kasak, and Mesenbrink. (and Barr).

None of the Ohio State’s guys are in Mesenbrink’s stratosphere. But, nobody else it.

Davis sloppy at the end, but he didn’t wrestle bad. Kasak, impressive. Mesenbrink, when opponents wrestle to not get majored against our freshman, you know he’s the next in the line of 3x (at least 3) champions.

Surprisingly, of all the young talent on display from both teams, I was least impressed long term with the alpha recruit, Feldman. His height and lack of length will be a problem his college career. Classic guy who would thrive with a 215lb class. But there isn’t and I don’t see him getting any taller.

Question for the real nerds in here, who is the youngest guy of the 20 starters in the Ohio State - Penn State dual? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Levi Haines.

I lose sight of the fact that D’Emilio was an AA last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT