ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Ohio State dual - Fri, Feb 2

Agreed, somewhat. MFFs don't count, could someone purposely not send someone out at 149 just to screw with Cael? Highly doubtful, but not impossible. Skin check, sickness, injury.

I am warming, by the minute, to the idea of sending him to a tourney, plus it gives Evans another go under a very bright spotlight. Fun for him.
I'm not even sure it's an option not to go. He should likely get there as laid out by previous messages, but too many variables in not going. I'd bank tournament matches and get back for whatever duals he can get in. I'm not sure I like this rule with weight changes not allowed in the calculation as it relates to weight cuts. Seems like it could have a negative effect on someone really struggling.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure it's an option not to go. He should likely get there as laid out by previous messages, but too many variables in not going. I'd bank tournament matches and get back for whatever duals he can get in. I'm not sure I like this rule with weight changes not allowed in the calculation as it relates to weight cuts. Seems like it could have a negative effect on someone really struggling.
The rule about only same-weight matches counting is necessary. Guys who bump up weights in a dual (Seth Gross vs Bryce Meredith) shouldn't be punished for it. Likewise, guys who move up mid-season shouldn't have an inflated record.

It affects conference allocations, at-large selection, and NCAA seeding, so we should want the data to be as relevant as possible.

Forgetting all of that: how to calculate RPI across multiple weights?

Reactions: Ski
I'm sure now that we've gone over it like 3 times. LMAO.
Still wrong though. If Midlands is considered 2nd semester, the Michigan match would have been the 5th date as the NIU and NC St. matches were part of the Journeyman event and only count as one date. So he can still redshirt before he blackshirts, gets his pin chain, then boxing robe, etc, etc.

I've seen wild speculation on this board in the past, but speculating on what's in the devious minds of other B1G coaches, thinking they might throw a match to avoid a PSU guy from getting RPI, damn near might take the cake.
norm GIF
It’s a dog eat dog world out there, and I’m wearing milkbone underwear.

I've seen wild speculation on this board in the past, but speculating on what's in the devious minds of other B1G coaches, thinking they might throw a match to avoid a PSU guy from getting RPI, damn near might take the cake.
100%, it’s misguided and kind of below the board.

That being said, my rankings most to least likely we see a backup this Friday are…

Really? After watching coaches schedule extra matches only to forfeit them for purposes of RPI?

Wasn’t there even a dual where the starter sat out and then wrestled an extra bout after. Maybe that was even a FFT too?

Last edited:
Speculation that would really take the cake: that a coach might have his own son forfeit his B10 Tourney opener in order to maybe get a better draw in consolations.

I mean, that's just too wild to be even a possibility.

Really? After watching coaches schedule extra matches only to forfeit them for purposes of RPI?

Wasn’t there even a dual where the starter sat out and then wrestled an extra bout after. Maybe that was even a FFT too?
The difference is that is within their own team, Not to prevent Penn state from scoring a few extra points at nationals.

Speculation that would really take the cake: that a coach might have his own son forfeit his B10 Tourney opener in order to maybe get a better draw in consolations.

I mean, that's just too wild to be even a possibility.
Yeah, but you are talking about Tom Ryan. I mean, come on.

Reactions: donboy6499
Coming in to SC from out-of-state to attend the tOSU dual. Where is a good spot after the dual to watch the Iowa-Michigan dual on BTN and have a few adult beverages without it being so crowded that it is hard to find a couple of seats at the bar?

Coming in to SC from out-of-state to attend the tOSU dual. Where is a good spot after the dual to watch the Iowa-Michigan dual on BTN and have a few adult beverages without it being so crowded that it is hard to find a couple of seats at the bar?
Champs Sports Bar out on Atherton Ave

Reactions: mrh1645
The Michigan match was his 6th appearance this season, so the shirt is already pulled. I suspect he is the guy going forward or they wouldn't have pulled it.
I don't believe this is the case, I think the Michigan match was his final match he could wrestle before they decide to pull his shirt or not. Which hopefully he does not, since tOSU is not going to be in contention for any trophies this year.

I don't believe this is the case, I think the Michigan match was his final match he could wrestle before they decide to pull his shirt or not. Which hopefully he does not, since tOSU is not going to be in contention for any trophies this year.
Yeah, I give up trying to understand this. We'll see if we see him or not.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Are you serious Clark? This board is filled with irony, speculation and satire but not all are equipped to get it, and are thus triggered.

All that said, 1/2 the team has been sick, there could be an injury on either squad, and the list of 'legitimate' concerns goes on. Getting Tyler the exact minimum number of matches by the end of Bigs has inherent risk. It seems to me sending him off to another tourney has merit.

Reactions: HikeNatParks

Ryan is a big proponent of duals, and he gets center stage with his theme of the year this weekend. Controlled anger?

So maybe.

I think there is actually a wrestling thing going on at HVB after the match. I'm looking for more details from a buddy that is involved in the Happy Valley United NIL collective.
So I won't see you at local whiskey post match this year?

Looking for one ticket for Ohio State. SRO would be great!

For the first time ever, my son(sr in HS) and daughter(soph in HS) asked if they could use my season tickets to go to a match. They- along with son’s girlfriend, who will be a freshman at PSU in the fall, and daughter’s friend- will probably sit on the mat instead of our seats, so I’m just trying to get in the door. Appreciate any help, guys.

Kasak only one listed

Penn State doesn't have any "ors" listed. Good. Of course they can still do as they please, but this should be a pretty entertaining dual. Penn State should kill Ohio State, but none of the tOSU wrestlers are going to roll over, at least you wouldn't think so. Should be some good competition for the good guys.

Kasak only one listed
Wonder if Evans will hit a tourney or two at 149, weighing in light. Can he get to a ranking up at 149, but not 141, making him a viable backup if anything happens to Bo or Tyler? I’m thinking he can outright take a qualified spot at 141.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
Wonder if Davis will hit a tourney or two at 149, weighing in light. Can he get to a ranking up at 149, but not 141, making him a viable backup if anything happens to Bo or Tyler? I’m thinking he can outright take a qualified spot at 141.
Evans, right? Davis would certainly weigh in light at 149.

Depending on the exact weigh-ins, Evans might soon be unable to go 141 due to NCAA descent rules.

Evans, right? Davis would certainly weigh in light at 149.

Depending on the exact weigh-ins, Evans might soon be unable to go 141 due to NCAA descent rules.
I was assuming Evans has been weighing in light (43-45 range) all along just for this reason. Anyone know for sure what he's been at?

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT