ADVERTISEMENT

Oh those poor misunderstood sharks! So unfairly blamed for attacks in the ocean! Ahem,..............

▪ Earlier Sunday, a 30-year-old Atlanta, Georgia, man was severely injured when what witnesses describe as an 8- to 10-foot bull shark bit him on the shoulder as soon as he got in the water to snorkel at Sombrero Key Lighthouse off Marathon in the Middle Keys.

I have been to Daytona several times for vacation and races and have swam and driven on the beach every time. I took my mother on one trip, she was a big NASCAR fan and I got to take her for a ride on the original beach race course. I was slightly mortified to learn that New Smyrna Beach, just a stones throw south of Daytona Beach at Ponce de Leon inlet, is known as the shark bite capitol of the world. I did swim there after learning that but with scanning eyes. One lasting memory of our first trip in 1980. We drove our rental van down to the boardwalk and found a parking spot. As we walked the boardwalk, I noticed a fleet of tow trucks parked on the beach. I didn't think anything of it until several hours later as we were leaving, several people had parked their cars on the beach and didn't take into account the fact that the tide would be coming in. Those tow drivers made out like bandits.

Reactions: CattyGuy51
I dont get the point of the post. yeah you are in their territory. I swim with sharks almost weekly and never have an issue. Simply because I respect them and understand that Im in their house. In return I get extremely close interaction with them and some great photos. Accident will happen but more times than not some who got bit was doing something stupid. Id be willing to bet someone was fishing while this guy was snorkling or just before he got in the water.

I dont get the point of the post. yeah you are in their territory. I swim with sharks almost weekly and never have an issue. Simply because I respect them and understand that Im in their house. In return I get extremely close interaction with them and some great photos. Accident will happen but more times than not some who got bit was doing something stupid. Id be willing to bet someone was fishing while this guy was snorkling or just before he got in the water.
Agree. Says he got bit almost immediately upon entering the water, so he had to darn near jump off the boat on top of it. Probably should have looked before leaping.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Talpsu
Never done Sombrero Key, but I've been in the water at Looe Key and American Shoals too many times to count.
Still have all my limbs!
reading my wifes's log book about Looe Key, goes something like this ...' and a pushy barracuda who looked 6' long...'!! I loved the term 'pushy'!!

Reactions: PSU87 and TheGLOV
reading my wifes's log book about Looe Key, goes something like this ...' and a pushy barracuda who looked 6' long...'!! I loved the term 'pushy'!!
My last 2 trips there have been rewarding. In June we saw a 6ft Caribbean reef shark. Beautiful animal.

Trip before that a Goliath grouper that had to be 500 pounds took up residence under my boat. She had a juvenile with her and she was mighty protective. Did that thing where they slam their gill plates which is surprisingly loud. The grouper scared my daughter way more than the shark did.

One time, probably 25 years ago now, I saw a green moray swimming in broad daylight. Dive master said thats a fairly rare sight during the day.

Love Looe Key.

Reactions: TheGLOV
So the one place in the Keys my son and his buds will not get in the water.....

Bahia Honda Channel. Hammerheads are thick in there almost all times of the year. Went in once and saw five of them in the first 10 minutes. Said never again. 😳

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
So the one place in the Keys my son and his buds will not get in the water.....

Bahia Honda Channel. Hammerheads are thick in there almost all times of the year. Went in once and saw five of them in the first 10 minutes. Said never again. 😳

Hammerheads are SUPER skittish. if you even look at a hammerhead they usually bolt the other way.

Hammerheads are SUPER skittish. if you even look at a hammerhead they usually bolt the other way.
I've never spearfished, just snorkeling and diving.

My son and his friends say its a bit different when you have a dead fish on the end of a stick trailing blood. Even usually timid sharks can get curious.

I don't recall ever hearing someone being attacked at Bahia Honda, but my son's friend who has been diving and spearfishing the Keys for 10 years says it is "unnerving" because there are so many hammerheads and they do get curious about the dead fish.

Please give us a link to your pics. Would love to see them.

Reactions: TheGLOV and psu00
My last 2 trips there have been rewarding. In June we saw a 6ft Caribbean reef shark. Beautiful animal.

Trip before that a Goliath grouper that had to be 500 pounds took up residence under my boat. She had a juvenile with her and she was mighty protective. Did that thing where they slam their gill plates which is surprisingly loud. The grouper scared my daughter way more than the shark did.

One time, probably 25 years ago now, I saw a green moray swimming in broad daylight. Dive master said thats a fairly rare sight during the day.

Love Looe Key.
That grouper is more dangerous than the shark

Reactions: PSU87
Well if there is a thuggish asshole in the shark family, the bull shark is it. Not too surprising the person was bit by a bull shark. South FL in general is very sharky. Watch just about any South FL fishing show these days and you will see sharks trying to steal fish after they are hooked. Drop a couple of fish carcasses over board on a rope in the FL everglades backcounty and it doesn't take very lone before a dozen show up.

Well if there is a thuggish asshole in the shark family, the bull shark is it. Not too surprising the person was bit by a bull shark. South FL in general is very sharky. Watch just about any South FL fishing show these days and you will see sharks trying to steal fish after they are hooked. Drop a couple of fish carcasses over board on a rope in the FL everglades backcounty and it doesn't take very lone before a dozen show up.
Well....I get the last laugh on them by not catching many fish.

Reactions: TheGLOV and psu00
They live in the ocean. If you don't want to get bit, stay on shore.
Land shark sharknado they can get you many ways.I heard a story where one of them bit a guys privates off in a toilet.So look closely before you are thinking to relax with a paper.Be careful out there

Reactions: PSU87
I've never spearfished, just snorkeling and diving.

My son and his friends say its a bit different when you have a dead fish on the end of a stick trailing blood. Even usually timid sharks can get curious.

I don't recall ever hearing someone being attacked at Bahia Honda, but my son's friend who has been diving and spearfishing the Keys for 10 years says it is "unnerving" because there are so many hammerheads and they do get curious about the dead fish.

Humm, I'm sure Darwin would have something to say about spearfishing in shark infested water especially when bull and tiger sharks are know to be around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT