ADVERTISEMENT

Oh No.. Now Jordan Miner

Kmase21

May 22, 2014
Diagnosed with a heart problem. Best of luck to him, I wish him the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
So we’ve lost 2 highly regarded freshman from the 19 class.....this is exactly what happened in 2006. Top class on paper, but half the class was expelled or washed out. Hopefully the attrition stops here. Glad these kids are getting this stuff caught early though.

Perhaps schools should begin having kids take a complete in-depth physical before offering a scholarship such as the NFL often does before a player is drafted or signed. ( I realize that there are some problems with this that I haven’t fully explored that may torpedo the idea ). However, that might eliminate these situations from arising. Plus despite the obvious disappointment, it would be much safer for the athlete to catch these issues as early as possible. I realize that these are rare occasions, but saving young lives should be paramount.

Reactions: Cosmos and N&B4PSU
Perhaps schools should begin having kids take a complete in-depth physical before offering a scholarship such as the NFL often does before a player is drafted or signed. ( I realize that there are some problems with this that I haven’t fully explored that may torpedo the idea ). However, that might eliminate these situations from arising. Plus despite the obvious disappointment, it would be much safer for the athlete to catch these issues as early as possible. I realize that these are rare occasions, but saving young lives should be paramount.
Heard that Maryland has reached out to offer.....ok too soon. I apologize.

Just make it part of the ncaa clearinghouse.

So sad for the kid. Really really glad the docs discovered this condition. Also glad he'll keep his schollie and get the chance he was offered off the field. Best wishes to him for healthy and fruitful life off the gridiron.

No! Then kids like Nana and Jordan wouldn’t get a scholarship. I like it this way. Doesn’t impact the numbers so no real harm.
But then some of them might slip through the cracks and have something horrible happen...or some programs won’t care enough to find out.

How many schollies are we honoring for kids unable to perform? Nana, Minor, Bucholtz, and I think there are others.
The NCAA should allow an allotment of schollies a school can honor for these types of permanent conditions and/or severe injuries and not count against the 85.

How many schollies are we honoring for kids unable to perform? Nana, Minor, Bucholtz, and I think there are others.
The NCAA should allow an allotment of schollies a school can honor for these types of permanent conditions and/or severe injuries and not count against the 85.
They already don’t count against the 85.

Wow

Future Depth development is taking a hit. Just makes the completion of the 2019 class that much more important. Will CJF now look for another CB in the class?

Really? CJF will take care of the teams needs. Miner may get a shot in the future...maybe not but db future depth is not a concern not should it be. Kudos to the medical staff at PSU....and the program for taking care with these young people.

But then some of them might slip through the cracks and have something horrible happen...or some programs won’t care enough to find out.

I see your point. But with hundreds of kids to evaluate, who does it? The NCAA? I’m thinking either way kids will fall through the cracks. I’m glad our kids still get to go to school on scholarship.

A) Of course, for several reasons, terrible news
B) Also great news that it was caught before a catastrophe occurred. Also, it sounds like Jordan has a great attitude given the disappointment he must feel.
C) His tweet did say that FB is being put "on hold". The replies I've seen here seem to assume he's done playing, but maybe there's more to the story?

Or programs that find out, but don't tell the kids. Roll the dice and bet the kid's life that he survives.

Reactions: Shendojoe
I see your point. But with hundreds of kids to evaluate, who does it? The NCAA? I’m thinking either way kids will fall through the cracks. I’m glad our kids still get to go to school on scholarship.

Having the NCAA in charge opens Pandora's Box. First, there is the matter of competence. Don't think I have to elaborate further. Second, there are confidentiality concerns. I imagine those could be resolved, but it's not a slam dunk. More seriously is the question of the NCAA's role in this new regime. Are they merely facilitators or do they become arbiters of whether a kid is physically fit to play.

What if testing results for John Smith are passed on to School A and School A doesn't permit John to play? John decides to transfer to School B in order to play. Does the NCAA pass results to School B? Or does it put John on a universally distributed "Not Medically Cleared To Play List?" And since different doctors can have differing opinions on the severity of a condition, how does it get sorted out if John wants to play, School B is willing to let him play, and both of them have a doctor who is willing to back that decision?

So bottom line is thank you for giving me the opportunity to say fvck the NCAA.

But fewer would fall through the cracks and maybe the NCAA could do something right for once and set up a scholarship fund for kids that end up having something wrong.

But fewer would fall through the cracks and maybe the NCAA could do something right for once and set up a scholarship fund for kids that end up having something wrong.

Appreciate where you're coming from, but the NCAA would fvck this up royally. They can't even do the Eligibility Clearinghouse right and that's supposedly in their realm of expertise.

I'm fine with them mandating that a physical be given to newly enrolled athletes and even stipulating minimum testing to be performed. Beyond that, they should stay out of it. becuase the only one that will get screwed are the kids. Would you expect anything else given their track record?

Having the NCAA in charge opens Pandora's Box. First, there is the matter of competence. Don't think I have to elaborate further. Second, there are confidentiality concerns. I imagine those could be resolved, but it's not a slam dunk. More seriously is the question of the NCAA's role in this new regime. Are they merely facilitators or do they become arbiters of whether a kid is physically fit to play.

What if testing results for John Smith are passed on to School A and School A doesn't permit John to play? John decides to transfer to School B in order to play. Does the NCAA pass results to School B? Or does it put John on a universally distributed "Not Medically Cleared To Play List?" And since different doctors can have differing opinions on the severity of a condition, how does it get sorted out if John wants to play, School B is willing to let him play, and both of them have a doctor who is willing to back that decision?

So bottom line is thank you for giving me the opportunity to say fvck the NCAA.

LOL! Nice closing statement. I'm envious.

Not that I advocate NCAA involvement but their role would be that of an arbitrator. Should School A place John Smith on the DL then School B is taking its chances by picking up his option. Just like Major League Baseball.

Look, I'm glad our school caught it. But it does not diminish the fact that medical releases cost the school money. And in this arms race for football supremacy every penny counts. Also, we don't want to start attracting kids who have medical issues shrouded by HIPAA laws. I know accommodations can be made once a player is in the program and subsequently diagnosed, such as with Deryck Toles' enzyme disorder. It's a balancing act.

I thank you.

I'm not convinced. It might be even worse. And schools wouldn't have any incentive to check out these kids since they could fall back on blaming the NCAA doctors.

Until they come up with a better system that works better for the players, I'm going to just be happy my school takes good care of it's kids.

I'm not convinced. It might be even worse. And schools wouldn't have any incentive to check out these kids since they could fall back on blaming the NCAA doctors.

Until they come up with a better system that works better for the players, I'm going to just be happy my school takes good care of it's kids.
I don’t think I posted anywhere that I thinkbthe NCAA should handle it, just that they could use money to honor the scholarship of these guys who find out something like this. I don’t know who would handle it (maybe a third party company that gets paid to do it....use capitalism to its fullest) and just have the NCAA or the schools pay for it. I don’t have the answers, but it would be nice to catch these types of problems early and save some lives.

I don’t think I posted anywhere that I thinkbthe NCAA should handle it,

Someone else suggested it be part of the clearinghouse process. My apologies. I was tying different ideas into one response.

Two elite athletes in a group of 20 - some guys.
This does make me wonder how many of their peers who aren’t elite athletes are walking around with these problems ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT