ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Chatter

McScoreley

Feb 24, 2019
Don't see an offseason chatter thread so I'll start one

The Willits Brothers are calling it a day

What defines an offseason thread?

Loose or tight I'm all in......

IMO we will see fewer kids wrestle into their 6th or 7th year. AS we saw last year, the grind can be tough on the body.

With a degree in hand, the choice to move on has to look attractive.

IMO we will see fewer kids wrestle into their 6th or 7th year. AS we saw last year, the grind can be tough on the body.

With a degree in hand, the choice to move on has to look attractive.
And with a degree NOT YET in hand, the choice to give it one more year and finish what you started also becomes attractive. Especially if you’re already a two time NCAA champion. 😁

I guess this can be filed under off-season chatter...

Thoughts and opinions on wrestlers who skip their senior year to train?

I know the kids are still completing high school online. But does missing your senior year and graduation mean nothing? Moving away from family and friends at that young age doesn't seem like a great thing either.

I get these guys are wired completely different than the average person. But how much training is enough? Are they being pushed too hard? Will we start seeing more burnouts?

I'm sure most of these kids have gotten all their HS coaches can give them and they need higher level training to progress. Thought that was a big part of the regional clubs like M2.

I go back and forth with this. These kids are hitting the college scene ready to go. Not much need for full season red shirts for most. But as I said above, does one's senior year and HS graduation mean nothing anymore?

Reactions: hlstone
I guess this can be filed under off-season chatter...

Thoughts and opinions on wrestlers who skip their senior year to train?

I know the kids are still completing high school online. But does missing your senior year and graduation mean nothing? Moving away from family and friends at that young age doesn't seem like a great thing either.

I get these guys are wired completely different than the average person. But how much training is enough? Are they being pushed too hard? Will we start seeing more burnouts?

I'm sure most of these kids have gotten all their HS coaches can give them and they need higher level training to progress. Thought that was a big part of the regional clubs like M2.

I go back and forth with this. These kids are hitting the college scene ready to go. Not much need for full season red shirts for most. But as I said above, does one's senior year and HS graduation mean nothing anymore?

I understand the concern. The kid is missing out on normal kid experiences.

That said, kid experiences aren't always so normal, so it likely depends on the kid and the support system available to them. I equate it to football players who graduate early and enroll in college in January, missing their last semester of HS, prom, etc. Not exactly the same, but similar. That's been going on for awhile now and I don't know of any evidence of burnout in those cases. Just like Elite Gymnastics, it's a different world for the few that are talented enough to compete at that level.

I understand the concern. The kid is missing out on normal kid experiences.

That said, kid experiences aren't always so normal, so it likely depends on the kid and the support system available to them. I equate it to football players who graduate early and enroll in college in January, missing their last semester of HS, prom, etc. Not exactly the same, but similar. That's been going on for awhile now and I don't know of any evidence of burnout in those cases. Just like Elite Gymnastics, it's a different world for the few that are talented enough to compete at that level.
I don't know if I have any major concerns over this as much as I just can't wrap my head around the desire to do so. As I said before, they're clearly wired much different than the average person. And I guess the desire for constant improvement and higher levels of training ultimately win out for these guys.

I can only write what my kiddos thoughts on this from her perspective.

We asked about graduating early so she had the option to early enroll in college for the spring semester. Once she learned that she would be out of running for valedictorian, she decided to finish out the year. She is working hard at retaining her #1 class rank.

In field hockey it's rare that kids enroll early like football. So, being an incoming freshman without any others is hard. And most of us know being a freshman is hard enough as it is.

I don't know if I have any major concerns over this as much as I just can't wrap my head around the desire to do so. As I said before, they're clearly wired much different than the average person. And I guess the desire for constant improvement and higher levels of training ultimately win out for these guys.
I think it’s going to become more popular but only amongst the really elite kids. I also agree that the kids that are doing this are wired differently. High school wrestling is the pinnacle for the majority of kids on the team but a few know they are going much further in the sport and to get there this new method seems like the best option. I know if I had the opportunity I would have skipped my senior year in a heartbeat to focus 100% on wrestling and just getting better. Seeing the success that the kids that have chosen this route are having I think more will follow after them. Kids at M2 seeing how Levi continues to jump levels and now Kasak in the same gym it will be interesting to see who else does this.

Reactions: PAgeologist
I think it’s going to become more popular but only amongst the really elite kids. I also agree that the kids that are doing this are wired differently. High school wrestling is the pinnacle for the majority of kids on the team but a few know they are going much further in the sport and to get there this new method seems like the best option. I know if I had the opportunity I would have skipped my senior year in a heartbeat to focus 100% on wrestling and just getting better. Seeing the success that the kids that have chosen this route are having I think more will follow after them. Kids at M2 seeing how Levi continues to jump levels and now Kasak in the same gym it will be interesting to see who else does this.
It's not for everyone and I expect kids who do it tend to want to use it as a de facto redshirt season. Nick Lee did it, Levi did it and I obviously don't know him personally but I would venture to say that Levi really wants to wrestle next year at 157 for us, whether it's needed or not.

Heck, Nick Lee didn't have as much success as Levi in his one college tournament (was getting absolutely worked by Zach Synon of Missouri before getting pinned) Levi was on his way to majoring Cerniglia and other than his match against Paddy, never looked like he'd lose any of his matches.

David Carr is leaning going 165 per Kevin Dresser ...

165 is going to be a very challenging class to say the least (like always)

Since this seems like a miscellaneous thread, Evander Kane is a ginormous piece of sh@$.

Typically Kadri is on the other side of that hit. Agreed it was deliberately dirty and suspension-worthy, but since it was reviewed and didn't result in a game misconduct the league will probably decline to hand down further punishment.

It was dirty, but if that's enough to make one a ginormous piece of crap, then hockey has gone marshmallow soft.

he's been suspended multiple times in the past for dirty hit and he was also suspended 21 games this season for submitting a fake vaccination card. not to mention the money phone incident.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Typically Kadri is on the other side of that hit. Agreed it was deliberately dirty and suspension-worthy, but since it was reviewed and didn't result in a game misconduct the league will probably decline to hand down further punishment.
Kadri is out for at least this series though so hopefully that figures into the DOPS decision on suspension or not. I think Kane should get 2 games but I bet he gets 1. Injury to other player usually makes thrr DT m take action but the DOPS is so all over the place no one has a clue what they will do. Kane is a huge piece of shit though. Would love for him to be sitting watching as the Avs sweep the Oilers!

Kadri is out for at least this series though so hopefully that figures into the DOPS decision on suspension or not. I think Kane should get 2 games but I bet he gets 1. Injury to other player usually makes thrr DT m take action but the DOPS is so all over the place no one has a clue what they will do. Kane is a huge piece of shit though. Would love for him to be sitting watching as the Avs sweep the Oilers!
He had a meeting today so they could hand something down. Typically they won't do that if the player is permitted to stay in the game but there's a good argument that was a mistake. But yeah, there are good reasons Kane has been on so many teams and that the Oilers picked him up for free after San Jose dumped him. Equal parts talent and headache.

He had a meeting today so they could hand something down. Typically they won't do that if the player is permitted to stay in the game but there's a good argument that was a mistake. But yeah, there are good reasons Kane has been on so many teams and that the Oilers picked him up for free after San Jose dumped him. Equal parts talent and headache.
Kane did get 1 game. That’s huge with the Oilers down 3-0. I really can’t wait for the Avs to sweep the oilers tomorrow while the bastard is sitting and watching.

Willie mentioned this on his show the other day, basically the scuttlebutt is Cenzo is leaving to train full time, likely destination is ASU.
If Cenzo is going to train full time, why didn’t he wrestle Carter for 3rd? Not saying he isn’t going to train full time, but getting one of the top 3 positions has some nice training perks.

Reactions: Lyons212
If Cenzo is going to train full time, why didn’t he wrestle Carter for 3rd? Not saying he isn’t going to train full time, but getting one of the top 3 positions has some nice training perks.
first thing that I just said to the guy I'm staying with down at JR Duals... I mean, stand-up move to give Carter the stipend spot (when assumed he wasn't competing), but I don't know the dude's situation so what the heck am I gonna say, ya know?

Whatever the perks Cenzo could have gotten wasn’t worth a flight across the US to him bottom line. Monetary is minimal and any practice partners won’t be advantageous to what he could get at Sunkist anyways.

Whatever the perks Cenzo could have gotten wasn’t worth a flight across the US to him bottom line. Monetary is minimal and any practice partners won’t be advantageous to what he could get at Sunkist anyways.

wouldn't he be training with other world team members? i'd think training with burroughs would be better than sunkist, but what do i know

Reactions: HAMMER167
This potential news pleases me. Cenzo will always be an all time favorite of mine (though that list is getting really long at this point, I have to admit), so seeing him continue to compete will be a joy. I know he has ties to ASU with Thompson, Cutch, and Tank there, I do wish I liked Jones and Perry more, but they are good coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT